FMIA Guest: Kim Pegula On Lessons Learned Leading Bills During Covid

Can somebody help me clarify this one. 

In May, we held a town hall open to every employee across our organization called “Listen, Learn, Love.” The town hall featured Coach Frazier, recently retired linebacker Lorenzo Alexander, defensive end Jerry Hughes, director of player development Marlon Kerner and a pastor in our community. While the participants were all Black, they represented a diverse group. I was involved in planning the town hall and I kicked off the meeting to emphasize that this was a priority for ownership and that Terry and I are all in. I felt it was important that we spent the time for our own family, people we knew we could affect, and who were deserving of our time and effort on this topic.

I am reading this at first as, "She organized this "Listen, Learn, Love" group. Which is great. But then says all the participants were black? Did she mean all the speakers were black? When I read "participant", I read that all people, attendies, presenters, etc. If that is the case, is this just an echo chamber of POC telling each other what it is like to be a POC. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to be gained from a group therapy model, especially in trying times, but it almost reads like she organized her own focus group to explain to her what living as a minority is like. 

She organized the whole damn thing and named it "Listen, Learn, Love" I would imagine that having white people their to, ya know, "Listen, Learn, and Love" is imperative for this entire exercise. 

Particularly heartwarming is the part where she arranged a private jet for one of her millionaire employees....so they wouldn't have to fly commercial.

I'm sure those laid off really teared up while reading that.

21 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

I have heard both Terry and Kim talk and if either of them sounds dumb, is certainly isn't Kim.  Kim is smart and savvy. How far she has gotten and grown into the job is pretty astounding, especially for a minority female in a male dominated sport.  She is also excellent with the PR and the "human touch " with fans...she isn't all all unapproachable or think she is better than others.  I give a lot of credit to Kim and am impressed bu her.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Kim Pegula is actaully a pretty dumb person. She lucked into her position in life and has really no business running a sports team or any other large scale business operation.

Opinions...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Opinions...

....but I’m sure based upon hundreds of hours of personal one on one time spent discussing all the important aspects of running a sports enterprise as well as life in general. 

Or not. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

....but I’m sure based upon hundreds of hours of personal one on one time spent discussing all the important aspects of running a sports enterprise as well as life in general. 

Or not. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, J-GunJoshAllen17 said:

Don’t be jealous...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know this wont be looked fond upon but between the Sabres(who I'm not a fan of) and the Bills (who I clearly am a fan of), I have been hearing too much about her recently for my own personal liking. To me I guess you can look at it two ways, she likes having her hands in her business interests(her prerogative), or you can look at it that she is always pushing her way into things that she shouldn't.

Not calling her dumb, but she sounded pretty dumb for saying that Botterill wouldn't be fired and basically saying that she knew more than the average fan did due to her inner workings only to fire him 3 weeks later is pretty dumb. She not only flip flopped but she also insulted a fan base when what they were saying ended up being true.

Then I hear about the headset thing. I get if your McDermott or Beane that she is the owner and you have to do things she wants but no way in hell am I letting her do that even in a game that "doesn't really matter". How does that benefit the Bills? Shes never gonna be a coach, it doesn't help the business side of things to listen in etc, I guess I dont get it, she wants to hear how a well run coaching staff does things?

Then I hear about all this stuff about treating employees like family when they cut people in their own business. Its all very wishy washy for my personal tastes. Let the people do the job and be in the background. Thats what good owners do. My own opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I know this wont be looked fond upon but between the Sabres(who I'm not a fan of) and the Bills (who I clearly am a fan of), I have been hearing too much about her recently for my own personal liking. To me I guess you can look at it two ways, she likes having her hands in her business interests(her prerogative), or you can look at it that she is always pushing her way into things that she shouldn't.

Not calling her dumb, but she sounded pretty dumb for saying that Botterill wouldn't be fired and basically saying that she knew more than the average fan did due to her inner workings only to fire him 3 weeks later is pretty dumb. She not only flip flopped but she also insulted a fan base when what they were saying ended up being true.

Then I hear about the headset thing. I get if your McDermott or Beane that she is the owner and you have to do things she wants but no way in hell am I letting her do that even in a game that "doesn't really matter". How does that benefit the Bills? Shes never gonna be a coach, it doesn't help the business side of things to listen in etc, I guess I dont get it, she wants to hear how a well run coaching staff does things?

Then I hear about all this stuff about treating employees like family when they cut people in their own business. Its all very wishy washy for my personal tastes. Let the people do the job and be in the background. Thats what good owners do. My own opinion.

Yeah, considering all the other football news out there...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Employees are family ... until they’re not. 

Well some family members are kicked out for good reasons.

Had a 25 year old relative who did not work, did not go to college and did not do anything at home.

Father was laid off so he told his son it was time to leave.

Son went to court via public attorney and stated he was not given proper notice to be evicted.

Father's attorney argued since he never paid he was not entitled to renter's protection (as soon as he took case he told father to give son notarized letter and father made sure he had recording showing he received it) and even he was he already has been given sufficient time.

Judge stated that while an official notice was given it was in question because the previous eviction without notice.  He said he would accept the notice as given to son and start eviction period.

Father emptied all food from house, disconnected services except power and water, and put locks on all doors except son's bedroom and front door.  He also changed key of car since his son had an extra "he lost".  Without cable/music channels, food, etc he moved out into house of a friend.

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Well some family members are kicked out for good reasons.

Had a 25 year old relative who did not work, did not go to college and did not do anything at home.

Father was laid off so he told his son it was time to leave.

Son went to court via public attorney and stated he was not given proper notice to be evicted.

Father's attorney argued since he never paid he was not entitled to renter's protection (as soon as he took case he told father to give son notarized letter and father made sure he had recording showing he received it) and even he was he already has been given sufficient time.

Judge stated that while an official notice was given it was in question because the previous eviction without notice.  He said he would accept the notice as given to son and start eviction period.

Father emptied all food from house, disconnected services except power and water, and put locks on all doors except son's bedroom and front door.  He also changed key of car since his son had an extra "he lost".  Without cable/music channels, food, etc he moved out into house of a friend.

Yup.  Just depends on how long you're willing to put up with them.

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/05/kim-pegula-bills-owner-fmia-guest-nfl/

I really enjoyed the bit about "Employees are family."   A whole lot of hot air / PR-speak to unpack in that column...

It is a lot like my family. Like the time we cut cousin Chuckie (his knees were shot) or the time we traded Uncle Zeeb for two nephews and a sister-in-law to be named later. That one really made Thanksgiving Dinners a lot less combative.  

• Haha (+1) 2