Could 2021 see a big increase in salary cap?

13 hours ago, boater said:

Pfftt.. increased salary cap means zilch, zip, nada, because all 32  teams get the same increase.

This is not true because everyone’s cap

situation is different. An extra $10M to a team right up against the cap is huge compared to an extra $10M to a team with $60M in space.

If TV studio football is more profitable, then the big stadiums will no longer be used.  I thought all along this would happen....as free Tv in the local market took its toll on attendance.  But, the Virus has accelerated the trend on a big way.  To bad, I liked Sundays at the stadium, drunks and all.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/06/nfl-nflpa-coronavirus-agreement-washington-team-name

That heavy stuff? With the revenue numbers expected to be way down this year, the formula on the 2021 cap is likely to spit out a relatively ugly number, and having the cap drop helps no one. It hurts owners, because it makes it tougher to plan. It hurts team-builders and coaches, because it’s almost certain to cause a bloodletting on a lot of rosters. It hurts players for very obvious reasons.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, pennstate10 said:

Let's connect the dots. 

There is serious buzz about major college football being moved to the spring. 

This leaves Satrudays in the fall open for football. 

I could easily see the NFL filling that void with Saturday tripleheaders, along with the sunday and Monday games. Thursday slate might just get moved to Saturday evening. 

Of course, Saturday tripleheaders would increase NFL media rights revenue. Probably by at least 50%. 

Ticket sales will will be down, but balanced by the gain in tv revenue, probably a net increase in overall NFL revenue, maybe by 20-30 %. And a resulting increase in salary cap. 

Beane and company are very proactive. I'd imagine they are monitoring this situation closely, and preparing to extend players before any large salary cap increase.  

I doubt College football move to the spring,  makes no sense.  The start their season about same time schools starts,  yes they may talk about it but it won't happen.  They would be competing with baseball/ hockey and basketball playoffs and golf/tennis.  

I think it will decrease big time. You have your Estimated  20% who will stop watching just because of the anthem protest. Without the preseason the quality is going to take a decent dip. I have no estimate on how many people will just stop watching over the black national anthem. If top name players like Mahomes get sick during the season and are out a month and KC misses the playoffs this year the SB will hold less value. I deal with approximately 10 customers a day and at least 25% are not watching the NFL just because of the anthem protesting. I know it’s a small sample size but I’ve never heard that many people talking about it before. You also have so many people out of work who will probably just skip the season all together because they don’t have the money. So many unknowns that I missed will also negatively impact the season. I can see the cap taking a huge dive in 2021.

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

2021?  LOL 

Sorry, but expect a DECREASE due to losses of revenue that may happen because of Covid. 

the NFL to reduce the 2021 salary cap by as much as 50 percent, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

realistically peg me around 5-10% roughly, and a few years of similar to absorb it 

On 7/5/2020 at 3:05 PM, pennstate10 said:

Let's connect the dots. 

There is serious buzz about major college football being moved to the spring. 

This leaves Satrudays in the fall open for football. 

I could easily see the NFL filling that void with Saturday tripleheaders, along with the sunday and Monday games. Thursday slate might just get moved to Saturday evening. 

Of course, Saturday tripleheaders would increase NFL media rights revenue. Probably by at least 50%. 

Ticket sales will will be down, but balanced by the gain in tv revenue, probably a net increase in overall NFL revenue, maybe by 20-30 %. And a resulting increase in salary cap. 

Beane and company are very proactive. I'd imagine they are monitoring this situation closely, and preparing to extend players before any large salary cap increase.  

Current TV contracts run through 2022, so no extra money for televised games this Fall.  Plus no or little ticket revenue.

Cap can only go down, not up.  

• Like (+1) 1

There is more talk they will space out the cap loss which is inevitable for multiple years to reduce any given year.  That would make sense to space it out, so bottom line is expect maybe a modest reduction for a couple of years and no increase.  Too bad for Dak as he just lost even more leverage.  My concern is more T. White.  We can afford now Milano and Dawkins, but White will be a problem.  With Allen we can wait at a minimum three years as we exercise the 5th year option which really helps.  We can extend this year or next year Dawkins and Milano.  T. White, we can kick the can to two years down the road, but that means we might have to tag Allen if he ends up being the man (and I expect him to be the man down the road).