Which coaches would Cowherd start a franchise with...

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

My dad tells me his glory years were the Kemp days when Buffalo was “Talking Proud”.  The youngins won’t know that one either.  Just google it. It was our phrase before the 1988 Shout Song.

"Talking Proud" era was my favorite Bills era, even more that the Super Bowl years.  I think that is just a reflection of my age at the time (College Years) Chuck Knox had some FUN teams, even as "Ground Chuck".  However...  If I am not mistaken, "Talking Proud" was a civic campaign that the Bills adopted.   That I believe began in 1980 when Joe Ferguson led us to first AFC East Crown ever behind #1 Defense.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

You make very good points, you do.  I just don’t see one year turning everything around for him and getting a nod for a HC.  Now he does this for two years, and I would say yes.  I also think he’s better than a lot of posters state, but has been limited with his players.  

You're making an assumption that there is a view people in the NFL hold that there is something to turn around. He's more well thought of by league personnel than he is by those of us on this board despite his offense ranking rather low the last couple years. I'd be willing to bet that the view is it was a natural progression of his offense to reach the top 10 as he got better players in place. I'd say it's a lock if he gets a top ten offense that he will be a head coach next season. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Mcdermott sold me the first year, don’t care if we backed into the playoffs or whatever. That was a lackluster team with very little talent. That season is the definition of getting the most out of your players. 
He has some flaws and there are a few who can’t help themselves pointing it out non stop such as clock management and being so passive. I think those things get better with time. I also blame some of the offensive issues on him protecting Allen. Rather play solid defense and predictable offense than let Allen maybe give the game away or get careless and crush his confidence. He’s a good coach though regardless. Happy we have him. 

Yup, we're lucky to have him.

I wouldn't put McD at #2 yet, but with Cowherd's criteria, where he's looking for a young guy and not a power/control freak so that he threw out Belichick and Payton and a few others, yeah, maybe close.

10 hours ago, TigerJ said:

McDermott has spent literally his whole coaching career writing his own personal manual on how to be a head coach, which he updates constantly.  He follows it to a "T."

Some coaches (Rex Ryan) tend to fly by the seat of their pants.  Coaching instinct can be good or bad, but may not be consistent.  The consistency that comes from following a methodology can be a very good thing if you've got a tested methodology.  McDermott has that.

You have to have both...that is what wins championships. 

10 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

McD is the best coach this team has had in a very long time

Let's hope he's the best Bills coach ever. If he wins a Superbowl he will be.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ganesh said:

You have to have both...that is what wins championships. 

I don't disagree.  I think it may be a little early to determine how instinctive McDermott is as a coach, but he does a lot of stuff the right way.  It's interesting, when he signed his contract with the Pegulas, there seemed to be some thought that he asked for and received a lot of power/control in the organization.  Then when Beane was hired as GM people thought it was all about cronyism, but McDermott has not seemed to abuse his control at all, and Beane and McDermott seem to work very efficiently with each other.  It's been great for the team.

23 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Mcdermott sold me the first year, don’t care if we backed into the playoffs or whatever. That was a lackluster team with very little talent. That season is the definition of getting the most out of your players. 

I wasn't sold on McDermott until Allen started showing his upside in 2018.

2017 was a nice story but I wasn't at all sure what to make of it. We had a couple of UGLY blow out losses and managed to fall ass backwards into the playoffs. And most our players were holdovers from the Rex and Whaley era. 

McDermott missed badly on Peterman when he replaced Tyord but at the time we could excuse it as McDermott trying to light a fire under the team or under Tyrod who was playing very poorly. But where McDermott badly missed was choosing Peterman as the starting QB for 2018. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. So now McDermott was fooled twice by Peterman and the guy we have as our supposed savior in Allen is viewed as one of the biggest projects to ever come out of the draft at the QB position. Odds were not looking good that McDermott or Beane knew what the heck they were doing at the post important position. But then the Vikings game happened. And we all got a first hand look at what Allen's potential and tenacity for the game was. Then coming back from injury later in the year he showed us even more of his physical talent and why we drafted him.

22 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know this is not a universally popular opinion here but so far I think Sean has been a better coach than Beane has a GM or Josh has a QB. I like all three. But to me McDermott is the most proven commodity. 

I don't see why that would be controversial. 

McDermott is the only one to be here for the full 3 years that included two playoff appearances. Beane wasn't hired until after the 2017 draft and the selection of Tre White. McDermott's biggest flaw is the Peterson debacle, especially believing in him so much to start the 2018 season when in reality he probably shouldn't even have been on the roster. Makes me wonder if he is also overvaluing Barkley. 

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just curious, who was Cowherd's #1?

edit: NM, I fast forwarded. Kyle Shanahan. Can't disagree there I guess.

I'd still have the Harbaugh you can trust #1. Kyle #2. McDermott #3. Genuinely if I was starting a franchise that is my shortlist. I am not that interested in anyone else. Belichick, Reid and Carroll I discount on age grounds, Payton on well.... being Sean Payton.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd still have the Harbaugh you can trust #1. Kyle #2. McDermott #3. Genuinely if I was starting a franchise that is my shortlist. I am not that interested in anyone else. Belichick, Reid and Carroll I discount on age grounds, Payton on well.... being Sean Payton.

Definitely agreed on John Harbaugh.

Harbaugh as HC, Shanahan as OC, McD as DC. Let's go! :thumbsup:

I think McDermott is absolutely worthy of this praise and am excited to see what he does in the first year his offensive talent is not below average. 

We all harp on his conservative nature, but we also have yet to see him coach with average - above average talent on offense.  

Last year was the best talent he’s had on O and it still consisted of 4 new OL, a 2nd year QB, rookie TE, rookie RB and a #2 WR as the #1 / slot WR as the #2.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1