Which coaches would Cowherd start a franchise with...

Serious question, what are his rating these days? I use to listen to him when he was on ESPN radio. And that TV show he had was fun with the gal that is a huge Spurs fan—she carried it. But it has been a long time. There may be a good number of people that like him still, but he got tiresome for me and I would not even know where to find him now.

As for the question, yeah, I think McDermott is in the top 10. 

Edited by CSBill

3 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Serious question, what are his rating these days? I use to listen to him when he was on ESPN radio. And that TV show he had was fun with the gal that is a huge Spurs fan—she carried it. But it has been a long time. There may be a good number of people that like him still, but he got tiresome for me and I would not even know where to find him now.

As for the question, yeah, I think McDermott is in the top 10. 

He moved over to Fox sports radio/FS1. 

Mcdermott sold me the first year, don’t care if we backed into the playoffs or whatever. That was a lackluster team with very little talent. That season is the definition of getting the most out of your players. 
He has some flaws and there are a few who can’t help themselves pointing it out non stop such as clock management and being so passive. I think those things get better with time. I also blame some of the offensive issues on him protecting Allen. Rather play solid defense and predictable offense than let Allen maybe give the game away or get careless and crush his confidence. He’s a good coach though regardless. Happy we have him. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Mcdermott sold me the first year, don’t care if we backed into the playoffs or whatever. That was a lackluster team with very little talent. That season is the definition of getting the most out of your players. 
He has some flaws and there are a few who can’t help themselves pointing it out non stop such as clock management and being so passive. I think those things get better with time. I also blame some of the offensive issues on him protecting Allen. Rather play solid defense and predictable offense than let Allen maybe give the game away or get careless and crush his confidence. He’s a good coach though regardless. Happy we have him. 

Sean may have his issues but who doesn’t? Those that harp on him as their personal crusade seem to me to have forgotten how bad things were before he and Beane got here, it’s as if they have lost all perspective. I too am happy we have him. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 4

Rc, I agree.  It is so easy for some people to only look for any negatives when McD has picked the right players, as Cowherd stated always has them in the right position. Now Beane found enough talent and managed contracts so well, we are set to be the next reproducibly winning team, like how the Chiefs, Ravens, and Steelers.  Just think before Jim Harbaugh how the 49ers were in their own drought, but post Harbaugh, they went back down, and now are climbing to the top again in the NFC.  I don’t see the 49ers going backwards for quite some time.  Good management, good coaching, and selecting very well in the draft for several years.  Sounds like another team we know all too well.

Yea I stuck it in the Cowherd - Allen thread. 

I think I am probably right about where Cowherd is on McDermott at #2 on this list. I know this is not a universally popular opinion here but so far I think Sean has been a better coach than Beane has a GM or Josh has a QB. I like all three. But to me McDermott is the most proven commodity. 

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott has spent literally his whole coaching career writing his own personal manual on how to be a head coach, which he updates constantly.  He follows it to a "T."

Some coaches (Rex Ryan) tend to fly by the seat of their pants.  Coaching instinct can be good or bad, but may not be consistent.  The consistency that comes from following a methodology can be a very good thing if you've got a tested methodology.  McDermott has that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

McDermott has spent literally his whole coaching career writing his own personal manual on how to be a head coach, which he updates constantly.  He follows it to a "T."

Some coaches (Rex Ryan) tend to fly by the seat of their pants.  Coaching instinct can be good or bad, but may not be consistent.  The consistency that comes from following a methodology can be a very good thing if you've got a tested methodology.  McDermott has that.

Well said Tiger which reminds me of another coach I respect tremendously in John Harbaugh.  Before a head coach he came up through Special Teams, and he prepared in his journals for more than a decade before getting the Ravens gig.  Those two have a lot in common and both have claimed Andy Reid as their mentor, although McDermott also claims the great defensive coordinator Jimmy Johnson, RIP.  I see a lot of parallels in these two in their preparation, methodical approach, and excellent football minds.  They also both have great GM’s.  Beane in 10 years will be thought of like Ozzy Newsome, the GM, not his playing days.  People often talk about Reid, Belicheck, and others for being great coaches, but I would add Harbaugh.  Funny, if his brother didn’t fall out of favor in SF, probably would be another one.  I know he was a hard ass, but his players said they loved him.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing these guys become cornerstones here like Tomlin has been for the Steelers.  It’s no accident the Steelers had only three head coaches since 1969.  Noll was awesome and won 4 SB’s, 1 for Cowher, and 1 for Tomlin with another appearance losing to the Packs.  How incredible would it be to keep the coaching staff together for awhile.  My guess in 2021 Frazier will get another shot at head coaching at least multiple interviews.  If he leads another defensive squad to the top 3 defense and he will, even by only Rooney rule, he’ll get lots of shots at it, and he should.  That doesn’t worry me as McD is probably already grooming his next coordinator and Frazier is probably helping.  McD would want to help Frazier get his shot.  Daboll on the other hand, doubt it. He’d have build up a top 10 offense for multiple years to get any consideration.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Daboll on the other hand, doubt it. He’d have build up a top 10 offense for multiple years to get any consideration.

I think if Daboll manages a top 10 offense this year then he will be be a HC next year. Offensive coaches are the hot ticket right now and teams are desperate for a guy who can groom a young QB which..if Josh leads a top 10 offense..the perception will be Daboll did that. In that case, Frazier with a top 3 defense and Daboll a top 10 offense...Daboll would be the hotter coaching candidate (not that I agree he should be).

• Like (+1) 1

Jeremy, I was about to snap at you as I thought you were that tool Jets whatever, so thankfully I saw you’re name again.  You make very good points, you do.  I just don’t see one year turning everything around for him and getting a nod for a HC.  Now he does this for two years, and I would say yes.  I also think he’s better than a lot of posters state, but has been limited with his players.  This is now year 2 for the Line, the additions of Diggs and Moss to Brown and Beasley.  I’m betting the rookie Davis will get on for 4 wide sets.  I’m praying Knox is a much better pass catcher, and as always Allen moves up to a 65% completion rate.  He’s already improved in fumbles, still runs well, evades getting hurt when he runs, doesn’t throw a lot of picks, so there is promise.

He does this in 2021 again and we are deep in the playoffs again, and without a doubt he’ll get the nod for a HC Job.  Just my two cents big guy.  I hope he does as one sign of a good organization is if two coordinators get HC jobs over two years.  I must be a dreamer as I can see we become a jewel for the NFL at one point.   After 2020, hopefully as good as I think it will be place nice extensions on Beane and McD for an additional four to five years.

Its been so long I’ve almost forgotten what it was like to just expect you’re team to be great in every game, and never think you can be beaten by anyone.  We had that from 1988-99 In one way or another.  The youngins on the board don’t have those memories which sucks.  They should remember the Bills as I do, and even could hang my hat as a very little boy seeing my RB run like a man amongst boys in OJ.  For this board about football, I’ll always contend he was the best RB of all time.  Even better than Jim Brown.  He just had a crap team around him.

My dad tells me his glory years were the Kemp days when Buffalo was “Talking Proud”.  The youngins won’t know that one either.  Just google it. It was our phrase before the 1988 Shout Song.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think McDermott is a leader if men that has started to figure out how to coach a football team.  He has his nuances but I never think we will get outplayed on a Sunday.  He has them ready. 

There’s been some disappointment during the McDermott regime as expected, but I love how we always show up against inferior and equal opponents. We’ve lost big to some good teams, but almost always win the games we should. That’s indicative of a well coached team, and it’s something we haven’t seen around here in years. 

5 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Sean May have his issues but who doesn’t? Those that harp on him as their personal crusade seem to me to have forgotten how bad things were before he and Beane got here, it’s as if they have lost all perspective. I too am happy we have him. 

Go Bills!!!

Leave Sean May alone!!  TAAAAR HEEEEELS!!

mcdermott is awesome.  I envision a tomlin like run

50 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I think McDermott is a leader if men that has started to figure out how to coach a football team.  He has his nuances but I never think we will get outplayed on a Sunday.  He has them ready. 

McD isn’t perfect, and people will jump on some things he does. Some of the criticism is deserved, because nobody is perfect. Heck, Belichick is the GOAT by most accounts, and he isn’t perfect. 

I love our HC. Just like Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds, he’s fairly new at leading this team, and I see it as only getting better.  I’m VERY happy with the overall picture and accept that he’s a mortal. 

Edited by Augie

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Leave Sean May alone!!  TAAAAR HEEEEELS!!

mcdermott is awesome.  I envision a tomlin like run

So do I

whats with the Tar Heels, this ain’t North Carolina ?

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

Win a playoff game and then I will come around on McD.  He's the best coach since Wade though is that really that high of a bar?  His game plans appear solid and his ever improving/teaching philosophy resonates well with the players. Even elite athletes crave ways to get better.  

That said, he started Peterman, he has a FB on the roster that isn't even that good as a FB, his defense gets gashed in the run game from time to time, he has a terrible challenge record, clock management before the half is suspect, and his defense collapsed in Houston.  His teams have been 10th, 27th, and 24th in penalties.  And lastly he is 0-6 against Belichick.  No shortage of things to improve upon.  

All things being equal, 2020 will answer a ton of questions for the Bills with a harder schedule and division winning predictions.