NFL keeping track of out-of-home-data for ratings and advertisers

Just in case anyone was wondering if watching Bills games at the bar actually contributes to the NFL. That's how I am forced to watch most games considering where I live, anyway.:beer:

More than 100 million people watched the Super Bowl on Fox, a small increase over last year’s ratings. But tens of millions more watched at bars or at a friend’s house, boosting the total viewership by 13%.

That share of out-of-home viewership was slightly better than what the network got for its regular-season NFL Sunday broadcasts, which saw a roughly 12% bump, according to Fox, which cited research by Nielsen.

Measuring the audience that watches on someone else’s screen is increasingly important to networks as they vie for advertising dollars. A 30-second Super Bowl commercial cost as much as $5.6 million this year, and Fox wants to assure advertisers that they’re getting their money’s worth.

The out-of-home increase for Thanksgiving games is about 20%, said Mike Mulvihill, head of strategy and analytics at Fox Sports.

It currently takes a while for networks to get the out-of-home data. But by next season, Fox expects to have the information just a day or two after the event is broadcast.

“We’re always looking for more complete, more accurate measurement,” Mulvihill said. “It’s going to benefit advertisers, who are getting a better representation of what they’re paying for.”

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The Super Bowl is as close to a national holiday as a sporting event can get. Realistically, everyone knows what they're paying for, but I guess it's good to have that bargaining chip.

Yes but it also cites a 12% bump in out-of-home viewership for the regular season.

They're keeping track of it all.

11 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not specified from what I see.

But I'm sure there's some kind of formula.

And I'm sure it's close, but not precise.

Other than bias, how comfortable are you with the stats?

I'm biased and I have to constantly check myself, which is why I read more than post.

Edited by LB3

2 hours ago, LB3 said:

Other than bias, how comfortable are you with the stats?

I'm biased and I have to constantly check myself, which is why I read more than post.

About the out-of-home data?

I'm fairly comfortable. I think it might even undercall it a little. You should see the number of people packed in the sports bars in Hawai'i on opening day for a 7 AM kickoff. I could see bar numbers being pretty accurate because you can track patrons in a bar. Friends going to friends houses to watch is a different story. Hence the reason I think it under calls it.

• Like (+1) 1

If they counted in Bills bars they would find a lot of views not at home; in mine maybe a little more than capacity states since there are many standing or sitting in places not intended to be sat in.

Hope it clears enough in Virginia for it to be open in September.  Jimmy put in a whole new "Buffalo Wing" and outdoor beer garden with fireplaces.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If they counted in Bills bars they would find a lot of views not at home; in mine maybe a little more than capacity states since there are many standing or sitting in places not intended to be sat in.

Hope it clears enough in Virginia for it to be open in September.  Jimmy put in a whole new "Buffalo Wing" and outdoor beer garden with fireplaces.

Yeah I'm just thinking about what I'd do if my bar didn't open up--it's still closed--and there were games.

What I am curious is to see what the renewal rate will be for bars for the Sunday ticket. Not cheap for them and if they have to operate at 50% capacity or less will it be financially prudent for them to renew.

That’s if the bars are even open.  Here in FL, they opened too early (not making this a COVID thing), and now closed it down again for a couple of weeks with no expectation they will open again for a very long time.  I see you’re point of at only 50%, would it be worth their DTV investment, and can bar owners really enforce strictly that % in states where they are starving for business, and people are going nuts to watch football.

What is more likely is those who haven’t been as significantly affected economically by this thing, will drive personal DTV NFL ticket subscriptions.