NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season

iinii

2 hours ago, iinii said:

If they could they would vote this every year so why is this important? 

They would also vote for all to be paid for 2020 season and not play at all if they could.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yes but again the players would need to agree to that.  Would be somewhat surprised to see them agree if a state is so bad they shut down sports to agree to leave, unless the league also agrees to move the players entire family with them.  But then you're kind of giving up the "Bubble" atmosphere.    Would be interesting to see how the payers would react to that, would they be willing to give up a years pay or agree to play elsewhere.  Likely they'd vote no, and force the NFL to give them something back to play.  Kind of like what may happen here with the pre-season games.

Did Bills players have to vote to play when game moved to Detroit? No

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

They would also vote for all to be paid for 2020 season and not play at all if they could.

You want to move the game to another state sure, but the post I was quoting stated move practices too which implies the players are saying bye bye to their families for 4 months.  That's not happening without the players agreeing to it which likely results in them getting something in return.   The NBA didn't just decide on their own to play all their games in Orlando, they players agreed to it.

And to your first part, yes the players and owners can vote on many things, but as soon as it affects anything that the CBA dictates, you need player approval.  Does the owners reducing from 4 games to 2 games require CBA approval, I have no idea, but am reasonably certain with all the other changes either already being discussed or future changes that are made, something (if not many items) will require player approval and they can easily hold the 2 game pre season as "hostage" and say no to something else.  I'm certain rosters can't be reduced without CBA approval, but can they be expanded without approval, no idea, but if I were to bet, I'd take the approval required side of things.

36 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Oh and BTW, just read this:

The schedule also remains in flux as the number of preseason games is expected to be cut from four to two, pending an agreement with the players association

Sort of sounds like they do need approval!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Don’t hate the messenger. As I said this could muddy the waters. Seems to me no preseason could make the season last longer if it even gets that far. Sorry you don’t like the news but I highly doubt there is anything you can do to affect the situation. Popcorn, anyone?

Edited by iinii

24 minutes ago, iinii said:

Don’t hate the messenger. As I said this could muddy the waters. Seems to me no preseason could make the season last longer if it even gets that far. Sorry you don’t like the news but I highly doubt there is anything you can do to affect the situation. Popcorn, anyone?

If the messenger is mouthpiece for NFLPA I do.  They defend players against fines who deliberately hurt other players.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

A number of "agreements" are just so they do not have whining and holdouts with knowing that whatever the players do not get they will go to court for.

Exactly and the players would win in court, so to avoid that, they need/get their agreement upfront. And if they don't agree, they work something out. 

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Testing positive does not mean getting sick.

Also, it is each players’ individual choice to make the risk to play or not.

Does testing positive mean you have the potential to spread the virus to someone who may get sick? In turn, does that person you spread it to also have the potential to infect others who may get sick? And so on?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If the messenger is mouthpiece for NFLPA I do.  They defend players against fines who deliberately hurt other players.

Maybe you could tweet something that will change their mind. ????

Another angle to this is, how bad will the officiating be? How often do we complain about the officiating? And that is when the officials have an entire training camp and preseason to get back to speed. How bad are the calls going to be with absolutely no practice. 

44 minutes ago, par73 said:

There has been talk about moving college football to the spring. With the numbers in so many states looking so bad of late, I find it hard to see how the NFL will go off as scheduled.

If they move it to the spring I would expect the season to just be cancelled. From what I’ve seen we are looking at a vaccine by the end of this year, optimistically. Even then, it still needs to be mass produced. I doubt it can be mass produced on a scale that large before winter of 2021. 

This is going to be a mess regardless. 
The selfishness in me wants them to play, the realist is saying they will never finish the season. I think they’re going to do any and everything in their power to start the season but I can’t see any actual way they can finish it. Crazy times we are living in. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Does testing positive mean you have the potential to spread the virus to someone who may get sick? In turn, does that person you spread it to also have the potential to infect others who may get sick? And so on?

Yeah. If I tested positive, I wouldn’t go near someone who could get sick. Or anyone really. If I was someone with multiple medical comorbidities, I wouldn’t go near people who test positive. Or folks who may be asymptomatic carriers.

Feel like these are what all of the guidelines recommend. 

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah. If I tested positive, I wouldn’t go near someone who could get sick. Or anyone really. If I was someone with multiple medical comorbidities, I wouldn’t go near people who test positive. Or folks who may be asymptomatic carriers.

Feel like these are what all of the guidelines recommend. 

The asymptomatic spread of this virus is the most insidious aspect of it. It’s a rarity in that regard. And that’s precisely why we can’t get complacent with it. 

7 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

It's because the NFL knows that players will get Covid-19 during the preseason. If a starting QB gets it he will be out a month, this is going to be a total ***** show. No preseason, limited practices, Injuries/illness and the anthem protests, yes this will be a total ***** show.

It's all fun and games until your star RB gets COPD, your QBs kidneys fail and your MLB has a stroke at 21.

• Like (+1) 1

Not trying to be a downer, but the pandemic is going to get a whole lot worse in this country before it starts to get better. I can't imagine there will be football this year.

• Like (+1) 1