NFLPA votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 season

iinii

I saw this yesterday somewhere.

How does this even work?

Teams/staffs that have been together for a while Should have a huge advantage.

While I’ll never complain about a SB win, this year would always have a serious asterisk after it for whomever does win.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I saw this yesterday somewhere.

How does this even work?

Teams/staffs that have been together for a while Should have a huge advantage.

While I’ll never complain about a SB win, this year would always have a serious asterisk after it for whomever does win.

Which teams have been together for awhile?

I expected this to happen anyway, so it is yet to be seen if the players refuse to play the preseason games.  If they do, we’ll see how the NFL responds.  I just hope we have a regular season.  There is a lot of talk across college campuses the virtual learning may continue this fall.  If so, the NFL could negotiate with the networks to expand their NFL coverage to have a Saturday, 1, 4, and 8pm Saturday games.  Why, so the NFL can recuperate some of the lost $ by no fans as that is highly likely to happen with increased television revenue.  

It seems like almost over saturation which is why I typically don’t watch college and pro football every week as it basically puts you in front of the tv all weekend, but I understand it.  Besides, the players should be all over it as they will know any additional $ means a better cap situation in 2021.  They want to protect their contracts, and the ones knowing they are looking for extensions would definitely want it.

Just a theory, and probably wrong, but it is possible.

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I do not think there will be a season.  Time to accept reality.  We are the laughing stock of the world with our covid numbers. 

You could be right, but those owners are not going to want to lose $10 bil., so unless State Governors close their states from sports, that would be the only thing stopping them.  Even then, an owner could send his team to practice and play in another state.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I expected this to happen anyway, so it is yet to be seen if the players refuse to play the preseason games.  If they do, we’ll see how the NFL responds.  I just hope we have a regular season.  There is a lot of talk across college campuses the virtual learning may continue this fall.  If so, the NFL could negotiate with the networks to expand their NFL coverage to have a Saturday, 1, 4, and 8pm Saturday games.  Why, so the NFL can recuperate some of the lost $ by no fans as that is highly likely to happen with increased television revenue.  

It seems like almost over saturation which is why I typically don’t watch college and pro football every week as it basically puts you in front of the tv all weekend, but I understand it.  Besides, the players should be all over it as they will know any additional $ means a better cap situation in 2021.  They want to protect their contracts, and the ones knowing they are looking for extensions would definitely want it.

Just a theory, and probably wrong, but it is possible.

You could be right, but those owners are not going to want to lose $10 bil., so unless State Governors close their states from sports, that would be the only thing stopping them.  Even then, an owner could send his team to practice and play in another state.

Yes but again the players would need to agree to that.  Would be somewhat surprised to see them agree if a state is so bad they shut down sports to agree to leave, unless the league also agrees to move the players entire family with them.  But then you're kind of giving up the "Bubble" atmosphere.    Would be interesting to see how the payers would react to that, would they be willing to give up a years pay or agree to play elsewhere.  Likely they'd vote no, and force the NFL to give them something back to play.  Kind of like what may happen here with the pre-season games.

It's because the NFL knows that players will get Covid-19 during the preseason. If a starting QB gets it he will be out a month, this is going to be a total ***** show. No preseason, limited practices, Injuries/illness and the anthem protests, yes this will be a total ***** show.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Clemson may have the right idea, 37 of their players are already positive.  Get it now and be ready for September.

I love how people want others to volunteer to get sick....who wants to get sick? 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Bills are one.

2-3 years is long enough to be considered a while?  This is McDermott's fourth year and he has turned over most of his staff, so still typically 2-3 years for most current Bills players and staff.

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

I love how people want others to volunteer to get sick....who wants to get sick? 

Testing positive does not mean getting sick.

Also, it is each players’ individual choice to make the risk to play or not.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, FireChans said:

Testing positive does not mean getting sick.

Also, it is each players’ individual choice to make the risk to play or not.

I get that but it also means they may get sick. I agree it's a big risk for some of these 350 LB linemen

Doesn’t this seem like a bad idea from a competitive point of view? Getting up to game speed both mentally and physically is what the preseason is for. Cancelling it seems like a sure fire way to have a lackluster first quarter of the season, with many many players getting muscle related injuries. 

45 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Clemson may have the right idea, 37 of their players are already positive.  Get it now and be ready for September.

I think its pretty much confirmed there will be no college football this fall. Schools haven't even decided to bring students back...

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Which teams have been together for awhile?

In terms of continuity of staffs and Quality rosters from the previous season(s). Especially on Offense. 
    We are just be of those teams.

24 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

I think its pretty much confirmed there will be no college football this fall. Schools haven't even decided to bring students back...

hasn't Michigan already declared on campus school for the coming year? I believe I've read that recently. And if they can open, with their numbers, its not doubtful that other states can/will as well

42 minutes ago, nucci said:

they are not getting sick

they are only testing positive - which obviously means something a lot less than it did in NY 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, nucci said:

I said it somewhat in jest, but IF and that's a big IF there is collage football this fall, having 37 players already positive (and that's week old numbers) could likely give them a big edge during the season if they lose very few others while their opponents are forced to sit out 5 to 10 players each week.

• Like (+1) 1