The Draft Network: Bills’ Tremaine Edmunds on the Cusp of Elite Status

I'll never forget Micah Hyde saying  around  week 8 of Edmund's rookie year , that he already feels he's going to be wearing a green jacket 1 day. 

Absolute Stud. 

Can't believe we snagged him at 16 , phenomenal trade up by Beane

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I'll never forget Micah Hyde saying  around  week 8 of Edmund's rookie year , that he already feels he's going to be wearing a green jacket 1 day. 

Absolute Stud. 

Can't believe we snagged him at 16 , phenomenal trade up by Beane

He's going to win the Masters too?

• Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't elite yet. But go and watch what he does to passing games even on plays that go nowhere near him. He takes lanes away with his range that force Quarterbacks to hold the ball and allows our rush to get there. He still has to get more consistent against the run with his gap fits and lane discipline. But what he does against the pass is already special and frankly it isn't the sort of thing you can teach someone. You have to have the elite physical gifts that Edmunds has.

This is my problem with this argument:

You argue his impact on the passing game is based purely on his size and speed.

That’s wonderful and all, but that doesn’t say much at all about how he is as a football player, like can he tackle?

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This is my problem with this argument:

You argue his impact on the passing game is based purely on his size and speed.

That’s wonderful and all, but that doesn’t say much at all about how he is as a football player, like can he tackle?

No, not purely size and speed. His anticipation, understanding of his drops and ability to cover are all excellent. That is even affecting Quarterbacks on plays that don't go anywhere near him. What I am saying is you can't just take any talented linebacker and coach them up to be that because even if they match Edmunds in all of those elements his freakish size and speed combination means they will struggle to do it as well as he does. Is Edmunds so good against the pass at least in part because of his physical gifts? Yep. But that is the NFL. 

As for can he tackle... it depends what you mean. He isn't ever going to be an old school big hitting middle linebacker and the plays on which he still struggles most are run plays where he has to make the right read, hit the right gap, maintain lane discipline and then meet the ball carrier. He would have been a hopeless early 90s middle linebacker.... but then he wouldn't have been played at that spot then in all likelihood. And if you are looking for that type of player now you are probably prioritising the wrong things in the modern NFL. Edmunds is a pretty decent tackler in space, where he struggles more is making that tackle in among the mass of bodies. 

His play in the run game does frustrate me and we still need to see more consistency going forward if he is ever going to be elite but he can do special things that few other linebackers can do and he is an essential part of the most consistent pass defense in the NFL over the past two seasons. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...