The Draft Network: Bills’ Tremaine Edmunds on the Cusp of Elite Status

54 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

YES ! A LB who can fill the  AB gaps and let Tremaine move around more would be great fun !

We had so much talk of replacing Lorax and his versatility before free agency and the draft I always wanted Edmunds to be the replacement. And I was pumped for the Joseph pick last year. Adding Klein is also huge. The D linemen are all versatile between end and DT. So it just makes perfect sense Edmunds can play the wildcard moving all over the defense. He’s clowneys size so teach that man a pass rush move or two and let the natural speed takeover the edge 

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Vita Vea isn’t a miss, he’s anchoring a very underrated Bucs d line esp against the run

Been saying Edmunds is a superstar since day one. He pops on screen and that’s hard to do in the NFL  as a linebacker

Miss might be harsh true. He can play. He was taken too high though.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

We had so much talk of replacing Lorax and his versatility before free agency and the draft I always wanted Edmunds to be the replacement. And I was pumped for the Joseph pick last year. Adding Klein is also huge. The D linemen are all versatile between end and DT. So it just makes perfect sense Edmunds can play the wildcard moving all over the defense. He’s clowneys size so teach that man a pass rush move or two and let the natural speed takeover the edge 

Is Vosean Joseph ready to play this year, or is he a career backup?  He didn't get much, if any, playing time last year.  Not sure if that is a red flag or there were other reasons.

8 minutes ago, Happy said:

Is Vosean Joseph ready to play this year, or is he a career backup?  He didn't get much, if any, playing time last year.  Not sure if that is a red flag or there were other reasons.

Pretty sure they basically red shirted him and put him on IR in preseason if I remember correctly 

Coming out of college, Vosean was seen as somewhat undersized, extremely athletic, but a bit undisciplined in his play.  He would make big plays, but he's also find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and allow a big play by the offense.  I think the year off to let him mature was not necessarily a bad thing.  Hopefully, they can get a good read on his development even though preseason games are in doubt.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

I thought he made a big jump year 1 to year 2. The one thing I still want to see improve in year 3 is his lane discipline in the run game. I am not ever expecting him to be a beast against the run and that doesn't preclude him from being elite but I would just like to see him fit the right gaps more consistently if he can do that he is there. He is already elite as a linebacker against the pass. 

Yeah, Belichek sure knew how to exploit that once.

I wouldnt say cusp...but he was a baby last year and he showed some elite level play at times.

He is a physical specimen, thats for sure. 

If he has a good film room session and works on his technique this season he can be great!

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Motor26 said:

He’s only 22, most guys haven’t played a year in the NFL at that age, let alone 2. Complete athletic freak. 

that to me is a huge factor when you talk about his game. Young,  and he had his rookie "welcome to the NFL" type issues and as has been mentioned his run defense has not been elite. But the guy has Huge upside to his game and he is effective now. Just wait and see how much he can contribute as he gets older. He is specifically the kind of player you groom to Keep as not only the signal caller of the defense but athletic juggernaut. BRING IT.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

I thought he made a big jump year 1 to year 2. The one thing I still want to see improve in year 3 is his lane discipline in the run game. I am not ever expecting him to be a beast against the run and that doesn't preclude him from being elite but I would just like to see him fit the right gaps more consistently if he can do that he is there. He is already elite as a linebacker against the pass. 

Totally agree.  He’s still so young that these sort of issues had to be expected.  I am looking forward to seeing him mature as a player.  The sky really is the limit for him if he cleans up a few things - particularly his run fits. 

Edmunds is to me the most underrated, overlooked player on the team. He is already playing like a top 10 LB for today's game...nothing is more important than PD's for a 3 down MLB, and he gets them in bunches. His early career deficiencies in the run game have been vastly improved upon. And he calls the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't get this.

I have hopes for him and think he made progress last year, but I don't even think he qualifies as "great" or maybe even "very good" yet.

Elite? Really?

That's some real prognosticating.

I sure hope so.

He sucks 

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't get this.

I have hopes for him and think he made progress last year, but I don't even think he qualifies as "great" or maybe even "very good" yet.

Elite? Really?

That's some real prognosticating.

I sure hope so.

He isn't elite yet. But go and watch what he does to passing games even on plays that go nowhere near him. He takes lanes away with his range that force Quarterbacks to hold the ball and allows our rush to get there. He still has to get more consistent against the run with his gap fits and lane discipline. But what he does against the pass is already special and frankly it isn't the sort of thing you can teach someone. You have to have the elite physical gifts that Edmunds has.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:30 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yep. The Eagles did too. 

I really thought after the Philadelphia-Washington-Cleveland stretch  where the Bill's run defense got gashed that the league had figured something out about the Bill's defense,

I was very impressed that they were able to make adjustments and essentially shut down the opponent run game the rest of the year.

I assume that at least some of the credit had to go to a more disciplined Edmunds (though probably most is due to Frazier and McDermott),

35 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I really thought after the Philadelphia-Washington-Cleveland stretch  where the Bill's run defense got gashed that the league had figured something out about the Bill's defense,

I was very impressed that they were able to make adjustments and essentially shut down the opponent run game the rest of the year.

I assume that at least some of the credit had to go to a more disciplined Edmunds (though probably most is due to Frazier and McDermott),

They definitely made some scheme adjustments, they also scored more (the best run defense is a potent offense) and Edmunds played some better games. There were a number of factors