The Draft Network: Bills’ Tremaine Edmunds on the Cusp of Elite Status

Its good to hear he is held in high regard.

Go Bills!!!

I thought he made a big jump year 1 to year 2. The one thing I still want to see improve in year 3 is his lane discipline in the run game. I am not ever expecting him to be a beast against the run and that doesn't preclude him from being elite but I would just like to see him fit the right gaps more consistently if he can do that he is there. He is already elite as a linebacker against the pass. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Joe Marino had him ar #3 in the 2018 draft.  The Bills were lucky he fell to a spot where they could trade up and get him.

I had him at #8. Was genuinely stunned he fell to #16 or wherever it was we got him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

From memory as well it was an 8 man class at the top for me plus Allen who I would not have taken top 10 but knew someone would. 

I had Chubb Rosen, Darnold, Nelson, Saquon, Mayfield, Smith and Edmunds. 

To me there was a clear drop off after those 8 to the next tier of guys (which I had headed by Derwin James) and Rosen apart all of those 8 I think teams are pretty happy. That said Ward, McGlinchey and Fitzpatrick have all been good players (though Minkah not until traded to a better scheme fit) Davenport has had moments in New Orleans too. The three real misses ahead of Edmunds look like Rosen, Vitea Vea of the Buccs and Kolton Miller of the Raiders. 

• Like (+1) 2

Edmunds has certainly improved between 2018 and 2019, and he is not at his ceiling.  He still needs improvement on run defense (had gap assignment issues last year) as well as situational understanding (I suspect he blew the assignment on the 3rd and 18 debacle against Houston where no one was covering the middle between the deep DBs and the D-line).  

• Like (+1) 1

I think "elite" is a bit much, especially considering the author's evidence. Saying that he's generated the 13th most interceptions over his first 2 years since 2000 isn't a bad stat, but it's the only stat he has. He's not a prolific pass rusher or run stopper, and still makes some poor reads. He can still get there for sure, but I don't see Patrick Willis, Luke Kuechly, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, etc. level play just yet.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

He has a long way to go to be elite. He was inconsistent last year but never played much better than above average.  He still misdiagnoses plays and is late in many of his run fits.  

Until I'm proven otherwise I believe he would be in the top 3-5 OLB in the NFL.  I hope he can crack top 10 MLB this year.  He looks like he should be a great one but I'm not sure you can teach instincts.  

• Like (+1) 2

I think he needs to put on some bulk so he can be stronger in the more physical parts of the game. To me, that is the part of his play that needs to improve to make him an elite LB. The athleticism and game-smarts are there, just needs more power.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He has a long way to go to be elite. He was inconsistent last year but never played much better than above average.  He still misdiagnoses plays and is late in many of his run fits.  

Until I'm proven otherwise I believe he would be in the top 3-5 OLB in the NFL.  I hope he can crack top 10 MLB this year.  He looks like he should be a great one but I'm not sure you can teach instincts.  

The other approach to this is Gunner Bill's.  If he gets just a bit better at fitting his gaps in the running game he's elite.  You say "long way to go."  I say, "slightly better against the run, and he's there."

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BringBackFlutie said:

The other approach to this is Gunner Bill's.  If he gets just a bit better at fitting his gaps in the running game he's elite.  You say "long way to go."  I say, "slightly better against the run, and he's there."

Yea you have to really understand the way he impacts the opponents passing game even on plays where he is nowhere near the ball. His range and athleticism take away passing lanes. He does that extremely well. He doesn't have to be a dominant player against the run to be elite. Just a consistent one. If he can be that with his pass defense skills he is an elite player. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:49 AM, GunnerBill said:

From memory as well it was an 8 man class at the top for me plus Allen who I would not have taken top 10 but knew someone would. 

I had Chubb Rosen, Darnold, Nelson, Saquon, Mayfield, Smith and Edmunds. 

To me there was a clear drop off after those 8 to the next tier of guys (which I had headed by Derwin James) and Rosen apart all of those 8 I think teams are pretty happy. That said Ward, McGlinchey and Fitzpatrick have all been good players (though Minkah not until traded to a better scheme fit) Davenport has had moments in New Orleans too. The three real misses ahead of Edmunds look like Rosen, Vitea Vea of the Buccs and Kolton Miller of the Raiders. 

Vita Vea isn’t a miss, he’s anchoring a very underrated Bucs d line esp against the run

Been saying Edmunds is a superstar since day one. He pops on screen and that’s hard to do in the NFL  as a linebacker

• Like (+1) 1

Some really good young players give you the impression that they have limited upside, and can't really get all that much better than they are already.  I get the opposite impression from Edmunds, that he has massive upside.  If he reaches what I think is his true upside, he will have a hall of fame career.

• Like (+1) 2

I loved the pick, and I think he’s been above average given his age. 
I am really really hoping given his size and speed they would move him around and blitz him more. I’ve said before I hope Vosean Joseph is up to speed and ready to play. Nothing would make me happier than on 3rd downs to see Vosean hop in the middle and Tremaine move to the edge area where he can blitz or drop off into coverage from the line. Just seems like it would make life extremely difficult on opposing offenses. I’m not sure of his pass rush skills but speed alone off the edge should do the trick on pressure and confusion. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/4/2020 at 7:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

I thought he made a big jump year 1 to year 2. The one thing I still want to see improve in year 3 is his lane discipline in the run game. I am not ever expecting him to be a beast against the run and that doesn't preclude him from being elite but I would just like to see him fit the right gaps more consistently if he can do that he is there. He is already elite as a linebacker against the pass. 

I agree. His decision making gets him in trouble sometimes. Takes the wrong lane of gets locked up and has difficulty shedding the block to get back in place as he took a wrong step at the snap. But last year he improved greatly with instincts. and he pursues and tackles well. Seems to be making the correct calls

I think he is the long term answer in the McD/Frazier defense.

His strength will always be pass D and and pursuit to the edges.

love the Kid !

I suspect this years Defensive line will allow him some more big plays.

Not elite . But he might get there : )

33 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I loved the pick, and I think he’s been above average given his age. 
I am really really hoping given his size and speed they would move him around and blitz him more. I’ve said before I hope Vosean Joseph is up to speed and ready to play. Nothing would make me happier than on 3rd downs to see Vosean hop in the middle and Tremaine move to the edge area where he can blitz or drop off into coverage from the line. Just seems like it would make life extremely difficult on opposing offenses. I’m not sure of his pass rush skills but speed alone off the edge should do the trick on pressure and confusion. 

YES ! A LB who can fill the  AB gaps and let Tremaine move around more would be great fun !