David Njoku requests trade - any interest?

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Some food for thought from a Cleveland media outlet for those anxious to trade for him.   

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/07/david-njoku-is-demanding-cleveland-browns-trade-him-you-gotta-be-kidding-terry-pluto.html

So... bad attitude and work ethic, poor blocker,, drops a lot of passes and has injury concerns. What’s not to love?  You trade a decent draft pick for him and Rosenhaus immediately demands a new contract. Again, no thanks. 

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They've had interest in just about EVERY FA Carolina Panther. 

Exaggerate much? 
Just about EVERY?  What would constitute “just about every”?  90%?  80%?  

2018 free agents 

2019 free agents: 

• S Mike Adams
  • RB Cameron Artis-Payne
  • RB Kenjon Barner
  • RB Travaris Cadet
  • K Chandler Catanzaro
  • OT Chris Clark
  • LB Thomas Davis
  • WR Devin Funchess
  • DE Wes Horton
  • LB Ben Jacobs (released)
  • S Colin Jones (re-signed 3/11)
  • C Ryan Kalil (retiring)
  • DT Kyle Love
  • LB David Mayo
  • OT Marshall Newhouse
  • DE Julius Peppers (retiring)
  • S Eric Reid (re-signed 2/11)
  • G Amini Silatolu
  • RB Fozzy Whittaker
  • OT Daryl Williams

2020 free agents

• EDGE Mario Addison
  • S Tre Boston (re-signed 3/19)
  • CB James Bradberry
  • DT Vernon Butler
  • CB Ross Cockrell
  • CB Javien Elliott
  • WR Chris Hogan
  • DE Wes Horton
  • EDGE Bruce Irvin
  • DT Kyle Love
  • DT Gerald McCoy
  • NT Stacy McGee
  • G Greg Van Roten
  • G Daryl Williams
Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure what all the hype is about, it's not like the guy is some kinda world beater. Take a look at his and Knox's rookie years:

Njoku: 32 receptions for 386 yards (12.1 yards per catch) and 4 touchdowns. 

Knox: 28 receptions for 388 yards (13.9 yards per catch) and 2 touchdowns.

His second season, Njoku caught 56 passes for 639 yards (11.4 yards per catch) and another 4 TDs. Last season he played in four games (started only one) and had 5 catches for 41 yards and one TD. 

I'd say with the promise Knox has shown he can have a sophomore season just as good or better than what Njoku did his sophomore year. 

So, nah, I don't see any reason to give up anything for this dude. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Exaggerate much? 
Just about EVERY?  What would constitute “just about every”?  90%?  80%?  

"Just about every" poster here (other than Scott) has long since moved past the juvenile and inaccurate characterization of Beane/McD chasing every former Panther.

15 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

"Just about every" poster here (other than Scott) has long since moved past the juvenile and inaccurate characterization of Beane/McD chasing every former Panther.

Sorry,

not sure what you’re insinuating. Gonna have to spell it out

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I'm not sure what all the hype is about, it's not like the guy is some kinda world beater. Take a look at his and Knox's rookie years:

Njoku: 32 receptions for 386 yards (12.1 yards per catch) and 4 touchdowns. 

Knox: 28 receptions for 388 yards (13.9 yards per catch) and 2 touchdowns.

His second season, Njoku caught 56 passes for 639 yards (11.4 yards per catch) and another 4 TDs. Last season he played in four games (started only one) and had 5 catches for 41 yards and one TD. 

I'd say with the promise Knox has shown he can have a sophomore season just as good or better than what Njoku did his sophomore year. 

So, nah, I don't see any reason to give up anything for this dude. 

Perfectly said. Yeah, no thanks.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:53 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fortunately you aren't making decisions for the Bills.

Nothing against Njoku, but in his 3 seasons, he's got a catch % below 60%.  He was only targeted 10x in the 4 games he played last year, so let's overlook the 50% catch % and the 20% drop rate from 2019.  The previous year (his 2nd year) he did OK - increasing his catch % from 53.3% to 63.6%, and catching 639 yds on 88 targets with 6 drops - an improvement from 386 yds on 60 targets Njoku's rookie season

Why does that seem like a sure bet to you to give up Dawson Knox going into his 2nd year?  Knox had a 56% catch rate and contributed 388 yds on 50 targets even with his 10 drops. 

Let me repeat that:

Knox's rookie season produced more yards on fewer targets than Njoku's rookie season and a higher catch % than Njoku's rookie season, even with all the bad drops. 

So why exactly would your heart beat to swap them?

You just get out of here with that logic, troublemaker.

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They signed Daryl Williams, Butler, Addison, Josh Norman, and heavily pursued Greg Olsen this offseason.... They love their ex Carolina panther players. 

Huh? You realize Knox lead the NFL with a ridiculously bad drop rate. 

Why add another player like that?

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They signed Daryl Williams, Butler, Addison, Josh Norman, and heavily pursued Greg Olsen this offseason.... They love their ex Carolina panther players. 

Plus AJ Klein who played under McDermott.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why add another player like that?

His potential is off the charts and it's a low risk/high reward move IF we can get him for a 5th round pick which may be all they can get for him.

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

His potential is off the charts and it's a low risk/high reward move IF we can get him for a 5th round pick which may be all they can get for him.

I see Knox having the same potential as him.  What's hilarious is that many of the same people who slam Knox for his drops conveniently ignore Njoku's and say the Bills should trade for him.  If Knox can't fix his drops, neither can Njoku.  Again, why add another player like that?

As for his availability, the Browns appear to want to keep him.  So it would likely take more than a 5th to get him, and probably a lot more for an AFC rival.  Then you have to take into account that he hired Drew Rosenhaus, who got Duke Johnson a new deal upon being traded to the Texans last year. 

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh? You realize Knox lead the NFL with a ridiculously bad drop rate. 

Yes I realize that, thanks 

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They've had interest in just about EVERY FA Carolina Panther. 

but this is not true.

I can't see us paying what he will want in a long-term deal after this year, so I would pass on him.

We have our own people to pay first.

Talented, but I as a one-year rental when the ball already is going to be with Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Singletary, Moss, and some of Knox, it will be hsrd yo get hid touches.

Njoku wants to be a #1 option for his stats and money, but he is much more athlete than football player.  Nothing wrong with that, but I would pass unless Njoku is willing to take a below market 2-3 year extension if traded to Bills. I can't see that happening and I would only bite on him  if Bills are one offensive and defensive player away from AFC Title.

We are still 1-2 years away from that being an AFC Title contender, so no to Njoku.

Edited by Wizard
spelling

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I see Knox having the same potential as him.  What's hilarious is that many of the same people who slam Knox for his drops conveniently ignore Njoku's and say the Bills should trade for him.  If Knox can't fix his drops, neither can Njoku.  Again, why add another player like that?

As for his availability, the Browns appear to want to keep him.  So it would likely take more than a 5th to get him, and probably a lot more for an AFC rival.  Then you have to take into account that he hired Drew Rosenhaus, who got Duke Johnson a new deal upon being traded to the Texans last year. 

That's some strange logic as one may improve or both may improve.  It depends on the individual.  I disagree in the potential as I see Njoku as slightly more athletic than Knox with a larger catch radius and a quicker burst.  Knox is the better blocker.  Njoku isn't getting a new contract because he hasn't done anything yet.  Too many mouths to feed in Cleveland so he wants to go to a new team to prove himself to get a big 2nd contract.  I'd only do it for a 5th (or a 4th in 2022) given the concerns you brought up.

11 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

And Daryl Williams 

And Derek Anderson.

8 hours ago, Doc said:

The bolded is where we disagree and I am a big fan of Knox. Njoku has elite potential. He has had some drops, and he has been hurt but he also flashed the big play ability in 2018 that is in there. There is almost no other on his outs tight end I am interested in. I wasn't clamouring for OJ Howard, I told this board before the 2019 draft that TJ Hockenson was not worth a top 10 pick when you could get someone like Dawson Knox later..... but Njoku's ceiling is really special. I'd trade for Njoku tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That's some strange logic as one may improve or both may improve.  It depends on the individual.  I disagree in the potential as I see Njoku as slightly more athletic than Knox with a larger catch radius and a quicker burst.  Knox is the better blocker.  Njoku isn't getting a new contract because he hasn't done anything yet.  Too many mouths to feed in Cleveland so he wants to go to a new team to prove himself to get a big 2nd contract.  I'd only do it for a 5th (or a 4th in 2022) given the concerns you brought up.

It's not my logic.  Again that's the viewpoint of those on this thread that slam Knox for his drops but say the Bills should absolutely go after Njoku.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The bolded is where we disagree and I am a big fan of Knox. Njoku has elite potential. He has had some drops, and he has been hurt but he also flashed the big play ability in 2018 that is in there. There is almost no other on his outs tight end I am interested in. I wasn't clamouring for OJ Howard, I told this board before the 2019 draft that TJ Hockenson was not worth a top 10 pick when you could get someone like Dawson Knox later..... but Njoku's ceiling is really special. I'd trade for Njoku tomorrow.

I agree with you on Howard and Hock.  I just remain skeptical that Njoku will reach his potential, much less maintain it, for various reasons, much less in Buffalo (he's worried about pecking order in Cleveland...).  And to give up a draft pick and a new contract, it's a non-starter for me.

Edited by Doc