David Njoku requests trade - any interest?

19 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’d be completely willing to give them Knox for Njoku in a heartbeat. Knox has potential, but he’s a huge boom or bust type player. I’m not big on guys who are inconsistent, unreliable players, who stick on rosters because they have the potential to make big time plays. I’d rather have eleven guys who do their job 99.9% of the time 

Fortunately you aren't making decisions for the Bills.

Nothing against Njoku, but in his 3 seasons, he's got a catch % below 60%.  He was only targeted 10x in the 4 games he played last year, so let's overlook the 50% catch % and the 20% drop rate from 2019.  The previous year (his 2nd year) he did OK - increasing his catch % from 53.3% to 63.6%, and catching 639 yds on 88 targets with 6 drops - an improvement from 386 yds on 60 targets Njoku's rookie season

Why does that seem like a sure bet to you to give up Dawson Knox going into his 2nd year?  Knox had a 56% catch rate and contributed 388 yds on 50 targets even with his 10 drops. 

Let me repeat that:

Knox's rookie season produced more yards on fewer targets than Njoku's rookie season and a higher catch % than Njoku's rookie season, even with all the bad drops. 

So why exactly would your heart beat to swap them?

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fortunately you aren't making decisions for the Bills.

Nothing against Njoku, but in his 3 seasons, he's got a catch % below 60%.  He was only targeted 10x in the 4 games he played last year, so let's overlook the 50% catch % and the 20% drop rate from 2019.  The previous year (his 2nd year) he did OK - increasing his catch % from 53.3% to 63.6%, and catching 639 yds on 88 targets with 6 drops - an improvement from 386 yds on 60 targets Njoku's rookie season

Why does that seem like a sure bet to you to give up Dawson Knox going into his 2nd year?  Knox had a 56% catch rate and contributed 388 yds on 50 targets even with his 10 drops. 

Let me repeat that:

Knox's rookie season produced more yards on fewer targets than Njoku's rookie season and a higher catch % than Njoku's rookie season, even with all the bad drops. 

So why exactly would your heart beat to swap them?

I was probably  a little too critical of Knox. I suppose I’m just forming an opinion from Njoku’s 2018 season, where I really liked what he did. I wouldn’t trade Knox, unless I thought it was an upgrade. I just think that Knox has to put it together this season. There are no more excuses, he really needs to step up. His potential is incredible, but this board seems to assume he’s a sure thing to be great, I’m not convinced. When I look at teams who compete for titles, they have eleven guys on the field who get the job done. That’s how the Titans made it so far last year. They didn’t have anyone making huge mental mistakes that cost the team games. We had several players who cost us on a regular basis, and Knox was one of them. He also made huge plays, but the mental errors need to improve this season. 

15 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I was probably  a little too critical of Knox. I suppose I’m just forming an opinion from Njoku’s 2018 season, where I really liked what he did. I wouldn’t trade Knox, unless I thought it was an upgrade. I just think that Knox has to put it together this season. There are no more excuses, he really needs to step up. His potential is incredible, but this board seems to assume he’s a sure thing to be great, I’m not convinced. When I look at teams who compete for titles, they have eleven guys on the field who get the job done. That’s how the Titans made it so far last year. They didn’t have anyone making huge mental mistakes that cost the team games. We had several players who cost us on a regular basis, and Knox was one of them. He also made huge plays, but the mental errors need to improve this season. 

I'm totally with you there - Knox is not a surefire bet to be great.    He needs to take a step.  I really wanted to see us upgrade at TE in this off season and was disappointed that we didn't.  The lack of preseason reps isn't going to help Knox there, and a couple days playing catch with Allen may not be enough.

It's just I'm not 100% sold on Njoku as a sure-fire upgrade.  Concussion, broken wrist - I *think* that's an injury he should recover from OK, but he didnt seem to be setting the stadium on fire before he was injured.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm totally with you there - Knox is not a surefire bet to be great.    He needs to take a step.  I really wanted to see us upgrade at TE in this off season and was disappointed that we didn't.  The lack of preseason reps isn't going to help Knox there, and a couple days playing catch with Allen may not be enough.

It's just I'm not 100% sold on Njoku as a sure-fire upgrade.  Concussion, broken wrist - I *think* that's an injury he should recover from OK, but he didnt seem to be setting the stadium on fire before he was injured.

Exactly, Knox might become a really good player. I just wish we had a reliable veteran presence at that position. I think Knox would benefit from not being forced into being the number one option. He needs time to develop the skills needed to become a number one TE. 

14 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, Knox might become a really good player. I just wish we had a reliable veteran presence at that position. I think Knox would benefit from not being forced into being the number one option. He needs time to develop the skills needed to become a number one TE. 

Plus, iron sharpens iron according to McDermott so having him compete with Njoku would be a win/win for both players.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

2018 season highlights.  I know they only show his good plays but he's definitely a mismatch on corners in the red zone and would be the most athletic TE we have.

Talent wise he is different level to what we have. And I am a big Knox fan. But I'd take Njoku in a heartbeat. I do get that he is an injury risk, but if you can keep him healthy and get him the ball he is a difference maker. 

If they wanted to upgrade they would have matched or beat Hooper’s contract in Cleveland which is $10.25 mil/yr. and $18 mil. Guaranteed.  We are a much better landing spot, but we didn’t.  Moving on.  Too bad as we had the $, and he would have made us better.  He’s not Kittle, but he is a top TE.

Supposedly, the TE class is very good in 2021, so we’ll see.  Hapless made good points on Njoku.

15 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My guess is Bills aren't interested.... because they are all in in Kroft and Knox.....and Njoku didn't play for Carolina. 

They are too loyal to "good guys"... or guys that played for Carolina when they were there.... as I've heard McDermott say numerous times that Kroft is a really good person. That's great and I respect that, but the guy has shown little to nothing on the field the last few years and they really have an opportunity to upgrade the position. 

Yea because we have soooo many starters or even rotational players that played for Carolina....

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Odds  are long for him.  How you holding up my friend?

...good my friend.....working every day since Covid-19 beginning........as an electrical contractor, we are a NYS essential business.......I have 180+ electricians in the field and 30+ admin employees.....we have taken every and any safety precaution whether mandated or recommended, spending $20K+ for our employees and their safety...NOT ONE Covid-19 case through last Friday.....how are you and yours doing?....hope everything is ok...............

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...good my friend.....working every day since Covid-19 beginning........as an electrical contractor, we are a NYS essential business.......I have 180+ electricians in the field and 30+ admin employees.....we have taken every and any safety precaution whether mandated or recommended, spending $20K+ for our employees and their safety...NOT ONE Covid-19 case through last Friday.....how are you and yours doing?....hope everything is ok...............

We have started treating patients again with appropriate precautions.  My older daughter just went back to Orlando so worried about that given the explosion in cases there.  Stay safe my friend!

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We have started treating patients again with appropriate precautions.  My older daughter just went back to Orlando so worried about that given the explosion in cases there.  Stay safe my friend!

....same to you and the family.............:thumbsup: