Wanna buy a house in NYC? $829,000

13 hours ago, GG said:

That's not a bad neighborhood.  

I lived in Fresh Meadows for a few years.

I know where that house is.  That place is the exception, not the rule, for sure.

In any event, that place looks like it is better off being razed.  The lot doesn’t look big enough to do much with.  

On 7/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5018-196th-St_Flushing_NY_11365_M34891-27454

Click the photo link in the lower right of the photo, and start scrolling through the interior photos.

That’s .....pretty gross.

Looks like the sort of thing it would be better to tear out and start over

A: It's the asking price. Let's see if it gets sold at that price.

B: I'm guessing the land value is the most valuable part of that sale. 

I also wonder if there is rumor of some developer looking at that area, and the seller is trying to set an early (outrageous) price. Just a thought. Could be the seller is simply being unrealistic. 

I am 100% familiar with this community. Yes, 100%. It is right there in the top 10 in the entire city in terms of not getting murdered, schools (District 26), parking your car, etc. This community is approx. 5 miles or less from the NYC/Nassau County border in the borough of Queens.

In the month of June, the number of home sales in Manhattan (another place that I know something about) dropped by 82%. Sale prices dipped (not 100% sure about this stat) by 18% iirc. Sale prices in Nassau and Suffolk Counties (Long Island) have increased, pandemic and all.

The borough of Manhattan and many other parts of NYC are now a cesspool. There are riots, along with shootings galore. The stats are there for anyone to find. The politicians are not doing anything about it, and people are fleeing NYC. This community is a last outpost of sorts. 

Oh and btw, the residences taking the biggest hit in Manhattan are co-ops costing between 2 and 4 million. Now that folks are able to work from home (a subject worthy of it's own thread), there is, and will be less need for cities. 

Taking everything into account (to include taxes and monthly maintenance costs), the asking price doesn't look as bad. 

Edit: This is what people are escaping from. This, and of course covid19.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dozens-shot-least-8-killed-during-violent-fourth-july-weekend-nyc

Edited by Bill from NYC

I thought that price sounded cheap, then I saw the photo.

I'll stick with what I've been saying for years now.  If you aren't earning 7 figures, you're a fool to try and live in metro NYC.

And living in some Flushing hell hole, or Brooklyn, or more likely the suburbs in New Jersey isn't really what I'd call "living in NYC."

I'm talking Manhattan.  I wouldn't want to live anywhere but there.