The Shopping Cart Theory

T&C

20 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

At least curb it or put it on the side so it can't roll anywhere. 

Oh it won't roll anywhere when it's on its side... in a very rare scenario.

7 minutes ago, T&C said:

Oh it won't roll anywhere when it's on its side... in a very rare scenario.

So..............I’ve heard of COW tipping. You go CART tipping? 

I always wanted  to invent pop down  skis  for  carts in Northern  climates.   Would work right?  Turn  your  cart into  a sled.   Like the mechanism  on those  ladders in stores.

I am such a blabber mouth.   Now someone will make a zillion  bucks in Buffalo  and they can quit  plowing  parking lots.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

So..............I’ve heard of COW tipping. You go CART tipping? 

Once every few years... yes.. yes I do.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I always wanted  to invent pop down  skis  for  carts in Northern  climates.   Would work right?  Turn  your  cart into  a sled.   Like the mechanism  on those  ladders in stores.

I am such a blabber mouth.   Now someone will make a zillion  bucks in Buffalo  and they can quit  plowing  parking lots.

They would all be stolen...

2 hours ago, T&C said:

So, what we see here is a lot of good citizens on a message board. Next time I come out of Publix in a torrential down pour I'm still leaving that cart wherever it may be. Otherwise, its the cart corral.

I just see normal decent people.

You should put the cart back unless have some kind of handicap. But if that were the case, I imagine an employee would be helping you out.

Kids aren't an excuse either, in most cases. I would just buckle mine up, lock the doors, and roll the cart back.

I almost always return my cart to inside the store, before the pandemic, I'd simply push into the other carts waiting to be used. If it's raining or I'm in an extreme hurry, I might bring it to the corral. The thing I NEVER do, and get pissed when I see it, is leave the cart in the parking space or anywhere where it could roll into it. People who do that are indefensible morons. Even they could place the cart somewhere where it won't roll, or get into the way of traffic and parking.

During this pandemic, I usually leave it outside the store (corral or just outside the door) so it will be sanitized before another person uses it, or give it directly to the person sanitizing carts (if there is one). I see people putting carts back into the queue (where the sign says  "Carts sanitized" or something to that effect) and then just walk away. I despise idiots like that. 

I was at a Winn Dixie a couple weeks ago and the employee standing right next to the Carts Sanitized sign was just pushing carts into the the queue. Not sanitizing them at all, and not hiding it. I decided to report him to the manager. I made a point to make sure he knew I did it, too. Normally I'd be upset at getting someone in trouble or fired. I had NO such feelings that time. I almost wanted to say, "He's doing this in plain view. How could you NOT see it. You ALL should be fired." But I didn't go that far.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

I almost always return my cart to inside the store, before the pandemic, I'd simply push into the other carts waiting to be used. If it's raining or I'm in an extreme hurry, I might bring it to the corral. The thing I NEVER do, and get pissed when I see it, is leave the cart in the parking space or anywhere where it could roll into it. People who do that are indefensible morons. Even they could place the cart somewhere where it won't roll, or get into the way of traffic and parking.

During this pandemic, I usually leave it outside the store (corral or just outside the door) so it will be sanitized before another person uses it, or give it directly to the person sanitizing carts (if there is one). I see people putting carts back into the queue (where the sign says  "Carts sanitized" or something to that effect) and then just walk away. I despise idiots like that. 

I was at a Winn Dixie a couple weeks ago and the employee standing right next to the Carts Sanitized sign was just pushing carts into the the queue. Not sanitizing them at all, and not hiding it. I decided to report him to the manager. I made a point to make sure he knew I did it, too. Normally I'd be upset at getting someone in trouble or fired. I had NO such feelings that time. I almost wanted to say, "He's doing this in plain view. How could you NOT see it. You ALL should be fired." But I didn't go that far.

You are most likely  NOT gonna pick it up from objects according to the CDC current findings.  Unless someone  coughed  all over it seconds earlier, the virus is weakening outside a human  body.  I think they are figuring  this out  now.  It's  being spread  people  to people. You'd  get it in your digestive tract first than upper  respiratory.  

I am not nearly  as OCD as I was when  we just didn't  know.  I probably  wouldn't  have complained, but agree with  your other  stuff.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have to make a correction. At Aldi, I leave the 25 cents on the parking lot, so they have to pay an employee to go get it.  At least I am kicking  in... If I ever do shop at Aldi. LoL...  The name  brand  stuff is on par with other  stores.  It's  just their  store  brand that  is cheap. 

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I have to make a correction. At Aldi, I leave the 25 cents on the parking lot, so they have to pay an employee to go get it.  At least I am kicking  in... If I ever do shop at Aldi. LoL...  The name  brand  stuff is on par with other  stores.  It's  just their  store  brand that  is cheap. 

The quarter at Aldi is a deposit to encourage customers to return their carts.

When you return the cart properly, you get your quarter back.

Why it took the Bills so long to figure this out, I'll never know.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You are most likely  NOT gonna pick it up from objects according to the CDC current findings.  Unless someone  coughed  all over it seconds earlier, the virus is weakening outside a human  body.  I think they are figuring  this out  now.  It's  being spread  people  to people. You'd  get it in your digestive tract first than upper  respiratory.  

I am not nearly  as OCD as I was when  we just didn't  know.  I probably  wouldn't  have complained, but agree with  your other  stuff.

While they now say you are far less likely to contract the virus from a surface, it is still possible. But my point is, if the establishment claims to sanitize the carts before putting them in the queue:

1. They should sanitize the cart before putting it in the queue.

2. I'm going to respect that and not just push a cart, unsanitized, into the queue.  I'm not OCD or a real germophobe, but many others are. Plus I have a healthy (hopefully) respect for this Coronavirus and I'm not going to pretend it's "just the flu".

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Growing up and shopping at Loblaws or Tops we alway returned the carts to the store. It was something that you just did.

Here IN WV most peeps place their  "buggies" in the  corral after unloading the  8 6-packs of Mt. Dew. I used to return the buggies to the store but now with the 

sanitizing  process I place buggies to the corral.  

16 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

there is one accurate item buried in here.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/3/2020 at 12:24 PM, Happy said:

People who can't walk a couple of extra steps to put their cart in the parking lot cart return area are just lazy....in any weather.

Eh. 

If you have an infant and a small todder with you, the sequencing can be problematic.  Do you put the baby and the todder in the car so they're buckled in and protected from weather, before you unload the groceries?  Or do you leave the baby and toddler in the sun/rain/snow and try to keep one eye on them while unloading?  Then, if the kids are still with the cart and you return it, you get to lug/walk them back to the car from the cart which can be tougher than it sounds if the toddler is cranky and does the tantrum/collapse thing.  Or, if they're in the car, do you leave them there while you return the cart and risk the car being jacked along with your kids - it has happened?

Some stores have a lot of cart corrals so it's literally a couple steps.  Some, it's a hike.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh. 

If you have an infant and a small todder with you, the sequencing can be problematic.  Do you put the baby and the todder in the car so they're buckled in and protected from weather, before you unload the groceries?  Or do you leave the baby and toddler in the sun/rain/snow and try to keep one eye on them while unloading?  Then, if the kids are still with the cart and you return it, you get to lug/walk them back to the car from the cart which can be tougher than it sounds if the toddler is cranky and does the tantrum/collapse thing.  Or, if they're in the car, do you leave them there while you return the cart and risk the car being jacked along with your kids - it has happened?

Some stores have a lot of cart corrals so it's literally a couple steps.  Some, it's a hike.

If it is a nice day (no precipitation) then unload the groceries and take the child with you to the cart return.  If there is precipitation, put the child in the car first, unload the groceries, then return the cart.  No one else should have to pay for someone else's convenience; it isn't right for another person to have to work around someone else's cart that they left in a parking space or against a neighboring car where that owner will have to deal with the cart which wasn't theirs.  Returning a cart shouldn't take more than 30 seconds in pretty much any lot.