The Shopping Cart Theory

T&C

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Disagree. Like I said, we get rains at the rate of 1"- 2" an hour sometimes... and the thunder and lightning. That cart is staying right where I left it.

I live in FL too and know about the rain.

I shop at a Publix every few days and always return the cart, usually to the interior room at the front of the store where they keep them, if not to one of the corrals.  

It's not that big a deal.

I would note I see shipping carts ditched all over the parking lots. 

As a rule, people in this country are selfish pigs.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

As a rule, people in this country are selfish pigs.

On a related note, I saw a headline today (related to COVID-19) that said, "July 4th weekend will be a test of America's discipline."

In other words, we're screwed.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrW said:

After 13 years in Rochester, I went grocery shopping for the first time here in West Texas. After I had paid, a kid came up and offered to take my cart (here they call it "basket") to my car. No, I said, I can do it myself. He: But, sir... Me: No, I do it myself. Then, the next time grocery shopping it dawned on me: here they have employees who push your cart, load up your car, and return the cart to avoid it being stranded on the lot. I do not know how widespread this service is - I have not encountered it anywhere else.

In Walmarts and Target you have to push your cart yourself.

Publix will ask if you want help with your cart. Even if I have just two bags I always say sure, lets go. Reason is that the baggers always want to get the ***** out of there, even if its for 5 minutes... and I get that. A little fresh air and they've "helped a customer".

Plus, after thanking them... mentioning something like "tell the girl stocking aisle 5 that she's hot as hell". The cross

eyed look back is either funny or... an agreement, yes she is.

• Like (+1) 1

My policy is to go to my car and then try to push the cart back to the collection area from my car.  I'm really good at it.  It's a cross between bowling and putting.  I rarely miss but when I do, I'll follow the cart and put it away.  The only exception is when I hit a parked car at high velocity.  If that happens I just leave.  In all the years I've gone to the store I've only hit about 35 cars.

Side note:. One time I pushed the cart across the row without realizing a car was approaching.  That dude was driving too fast for a lot and that cart really took off when he hit it.  It went about 6 feet in the air and rolled over 3 times.  It just missed hitting a baby in a stroller.  I left but in the rear view the driver didn't seem very apologetic to the mom.  He seemed more confused.  What a jerk.

• Haha (+1) 6

14 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then couldn't you park next to the cart corral?

I should have texted you to return it for me seeing as the corral's are 150' feet out.

31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

My policy is to go to my car and then try to push the cart back to the collection area from my car.  I'm really good at it.  It's a cross between bowling and putting.  I rarely miss but when I do, I'll follow the cart and put it away.  The only exception is when I hit a parked car at high velocity.  If that happens I just leave.  In all the years I've gone to the store I've only hit about 35 cars.

Side note:. One time I pushed the cart across the row without realizing a car was approaching.  That dude was driving too fast for a lot and that cart really took off when he hit it.  It went about 6 feet in the air and rolled over 3 times.  It just missed hitting a baby in a stroller.  I left but in the rear view the driver didn't seem very apologetic to the mom.  He seemed more confused.  What a jerk.

This is definitely a "pics or it didn't happen" post lol...

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What if you’re unloading your groceries and al of a sudden you get mauled by a gorilla?  I’m jumping in the car and taking off, bruh ??‍♂️

You can't simply add a third detriment to the argument! I didn't realize you lived near the Wegman's in the Congo............

35 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I See You GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

45 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Then couldn't you park next to the cart corral?

No, I park the Cayenne on the outskirts so it has less chance of getting dinged up.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

There is never a good reason to not put a shopping cart in a cart corral before leaving.

People dragging three kids along to shop, or even just a baby, would disagree. An elderly or infirm person might not be able to (I mostly see them left in the handicap spots). If the weather is so inclement that the parking lot has not been cleared making it difficult to push the cart through the snow/slush, that could also compound the issue for even a healthy person.

I swear when someone leaves it in a spot because it annoys me, although I usually park half a mile from the door (or so Hubby claims <_<), so have less leftover cart issues, other vehicle issues, and I can use the walk. However, even though it annoys me that does not mean there are not valid reasons people leave the carts near the parking spot instead of placing them in the cart corral.

Today I went to the supermarket (shortly after I saw this thread). There was no corral, but they had a guy working the parking lot. I put my cart to the curb between the front of my car and the car next to me before I left. Made sure it wouldn't roll. I feel like I did my civic duty. No way I'm walking it back to the store in that scenario. If there had been a corral, I would've walked it over.

So, what we see here is a lot of good citizens on a message board. Next time I come out of Publix in a torrential down pour I'm still leaving that cart wherever it may be. Otherwise, its the cart corral.

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

In that weather, it's likely to get blown into someone's parked car.

Then push it to a curb and put two front  wheels  up on other side  of curb if be people think they  are  sugar  and melt  in the rain by not going to the corral  or taking  it back  to front  of  store. 

I do it so others  don't  have to work  as hard.   Pay  it forward. 

If it's  a downpour, you're  wet already.   Can't  get much wetter...

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

People dragging three kids along to shop, or even just a baby, would disagree. An elderly or infirm person might not be able to (I mostly see them left in the handicap spots). If the weather is so inclement that the parking lot has not been cleared making it difficult to push the cart through the snow/slush, that could also compound the issue for even a healthy person.

I swear when someone leaves it in a spot because it annoys me, although I usually park half a mile from the door (or so Hubby claims <_<), so have less leftover cart issues, other vehicle issues, and I can use the walk. However, even though it annoys me that does not mean there are not valid reasons people leave the carts near the parking spot instead of placing them in the cart corral.

One can ask for help. Unless they are shopping the scab  stores. Do places  like Walmart  help  load?  Those are places where the shoppers  are pumping out the babies.

We always park far  away.  Doesn't  matter. 

My former policy was to look for people finishing unloading as I head to the entry. I’d ask “can I take that away for you?”, and get a lot of relieved people who no longer had to worry about returning or ditching it. People genuinely appreciated that offer. Now? I’m a little more hesitant to touch your nasty germ pool on wheels until it’s been sprayed and wiped down.  Sorry, hope I get back to the old way soon! 

I also have been trying to up my daily step count since my sister had bypass surgery. Doctors told her to get at LEAST 10k steps/day. If I take a distant parking spot, leaving better spots for others, I can easily get 1k steps in on a trip to Publix. Returning the cart to the corral can up that a bit. I’m traditionally a daily shopper, so the express line allows me to avoid a cart to the car. It’s just a few bags at most. 

8 hours ago, T&C said:

Disagree. Like I said, we get rains at the rate of 1"- 2" an hour sometimes... and the thunder and lightning. That cart is staying right where I left it.

At least curb it or put it on the side so it can't roll anywhere. 

What I hate worse than people who lazily just leave their cart where ever is the people who side-swipe cars with their cart.  It leaves scratches that cannot always be polished out.  Those people need to be rammed in the ankles multiple times with a shopping cart.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I take them right back to the door and grab any extra I see.  Every time.  Every place. 

People are lazy...

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I take them right back to the door and grab any extra I see.  Every time.  Every place. 

People are lazy...

yeah, but you’re a good person. I would know.

despite your shortcomings.

?

• Awesome! (+1) 1