The Shopping Cart Theory

T&C

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Nice picture- a 68 year old prog-rocker scoping out the questionably legals...

Once you stop looking your days are numbered... I'm not 68 but I'll probably be checking out my hospice nurses.

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There's something gloriously gratifying about getting a running start with the cart, and then letting it go right when you hit the corral line, and wait for the crunching sound it makes upon impact--why is that??

I like to make the cart hit perfectly to load into the cart in front. Sometimes I try bank shots!  But if I screw up too badly, I have to go straighten them out. If I were only that careful around the house with my own stuff. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s one approach......but I find it’s FAR more fun to give it a giant push up the middle of the row and try to guess which car it will hit first.  Hey, I’m just trying to have a little fun!  :)

This reminds me of probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at a grocery store earlier this year.  A rather large woman was walking her cart over, but as she got one aisle away from the corral, she decided to give it that long distance push and hope for the best.  But just like all shopping carts, it immediately started swerving to the side.  So she tried to run after it to stop it from hitting a car.  She didn't even make it half way before it slammed into a car.  I had to duck back into my car to hide the laughter.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

This reminds me of probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at a grocery store earlier this year.  A rather large woman was walking her cart over, but as she got one aisle away from the corral, she decided to give it that long distance push and hope for the best.  But just like all shopping carts, it immediately started swerving to the side.  So she tried to run after it to stop it from hitting a car.  She didn't even make it half way before it slammed into a car.  I had to duck back into my car to hide the laughter.

The first thing I do when I get a cart is check the alignment.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The first thing I do when I get a cart is check the alignment.

If you’re looking for a good alignment, you must be searching for a long time. 

Just now, shrader said:

If you’re looking for a good alignment, you must be searching for a long time. 

A cart has to be pretty bad for me to take it back and get another one.  I usually go with whichever cart I pick first.

Sometimes I get the perfect cart (usually Walmart).  My son laughs at how excited I get when I get a cart with perfect alignment AND smooth wheels.  No shake, rattle and roll ... just roll, baby.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:38 AM, Gugny said:

Great story from 5 or 6 years ago:  My parents (now 80 and 75) were in a drug store parking lot getting ready to leave. 

The woman parked next to them left her cart in the parking lot and got into her car.  Windows were down.  My dad asked, "are you going to put your shopping cart away?"  She responded with, "go ***** yourself." 

My dad then said, "Nice mouth!  Do you kiss people with that?"  She flipped him off and drove away.

pics

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

A cart has to be pretty bad for me to take it back and get another one.  I usually go with whichever cart I pick first.

Sometimes I get the perfect cart (usually Walmart).  My son laughs at how excited I get when I get a cart with perfect alignment AND smooth wheels.  No shake, rattle and roll ... just roll, baby.

I search until I get the cart where the front wheel continuously rotates as I'm pushing it.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wAcKy ZeBrA said:

At Wegmans do you go with the two tiered short bus carts or the wide open pontoon boat long carts?

Personally am a fan of the two tiered ones. 

There is also always a parking spot next to a cart corral. 

i'm a fan of the short bus cart as well.  it's the easiest to maneuver through the tightest isles you'll every see.  it also allows me to get close and creepy with the hot moms.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, teef said:

i'm a fan of the short bus cart as well.  it's the easiest to maneuver through the tightest isles you'll every see.  it also allows me to get close and creepy with the hot moms.

At my local grocery store (Hannaford), the short bus carts have a flaw.  There's no clearance below for walking like there is in the bigger carts.  If I hold the short bus the same distance away that I do the big boys, my feet hit the deck of the cart.  So I need to consciously extend my arms to provide clearance.

For that reason, I forego the short buses.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

At my local grocery store (Hannaford), the short bus carts have a flaw.  There's no clearance below for walking like there is in the bigger carts.  If I hold the short bus the same distance away that I do the big boys, my feet hit the deck of the cart.  So I need to consciously extend my arms to provide clearance.

For that reason, I forego the short buses.

i haven't found that with the wegmans version.  that sounds like a serious engineering flaw.  have you tired the carts that look like a little car?

24 minutes ago, teef said:

it also allows me to get close and creepy with the hot moms.

I had to scroll upward to see if this was T&C or teef...

T&C:  young female store staff.

teef:  MILF shoppers.

OK, got it...

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Speaking of carts, those at our local Publix stores are impeccable. I've even stopped asking people, if they give me the cart they are returning, "Is it a good one?" (before Covid).  Don't think I've ever had a misaligned one their. But Publix only has one size cart (at least ours do). 

One of the few things I like about Winn Dixie is the cart selection. I like the small cart most of the time. I'll grab a hand basket if just picking up a few things. But if one of them is a 12 pack of beer or seltzer, I'd rather have a cart. WD also has really mini carts (with a big flag sticking up) for little kids. Cute.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

A few days ago I greeted the young lady spraying down the carts and grabbed one from the sanitized stack. I got about 5 steps before I realized the front right wheel was a complete mess. I hadn’t even made it from the lobby into the store when I turned around and took it back to the sprayer lady. I told her “you could spray this down again, or just take it out back and shoot it. Nobody will want it as is”. It had a mind of it’s own. Worst cart EVER.  

• Haha (+1) 1