The Shopping Cart Theory

T&C

18 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

***** thank you.  Let's not act like there aren't parking spaces next to the corral, considering most Americans are lazy ***** and the corrals tend to be further out than your typical 35 BMI patron wants to walk in that oppressive heat.

I park as far away as possible. NEVER up front. 

51 minutes ago, teef said:

i always put the carts back.  at pet smart i'll walk it back into the store.

you touched/used the cart, put the thing back.  if you're too lazy to put it back, don't take it in the first place.

at wegmans recently, i was in line with a guy that was around my age.  looked to be in good shape.  we walked out together, and this guy parked his escalade in handicap.  the guy had no problems getting around, hoisting the bags in, etc.  once he was done what does he do?  leaves the cart in the handicap space next to him, and drives away.  people like that deserve to get kicked in the face.

At least he was able to get his Escalade out of its parking space without hitting other vehicles.  Years ago I came out of a Tops to find a crease in the rear right corner of my car and the operator of the vehicle who did it had to know.  No note or anything from that person.  Until my health dictates otherwise I park away from the entrance of a store or the cart corral area.  I also park facing out where I can see if anybody is pulling into that area at 45 MPH without looking for vehicles pulling out.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

At least he was able to get his Escalade out of its parking space without hitting other vehicles.  Years ago I came out of a Tops to find a crease in the rear right corner of my car and the operator of the vehicle who did it had to know.  No note or anything from that person.  Until my health dictates otherwise I park away from the entrance of a store or the cart corral area.  I also park facing out where I can see if anybody is pulling into that area at 45 MPH without looking for vehicles pulling out.  

there is nothing more angering than that.  just follow up on the mistake!  i had someone park so close to me once, that i couldn't squeeze my body between the two cars to get in.  i had to go through the passenger's side and climb over.  are people that oblivious or do they not just care?  

6 minutes ago, teef said:

there is nothing more angering than that.  just follow up on the mistake!  i had someone park so close to me once, that i couldn't squeeze my body between the two cars to get in.  i had to go through the passenger's side and climb over.  are people that oblivious or do they not just care?  

Had same thing when I parked at work at a Hummer 2 parked in "small car only spot".  In order for him to be able to park and get out he needed to park over the line and when he did so he folded my mirror.  I needed crawl in from opposite door which is very difficult to do with bad feet, roll down window and hold mirror when I backed out. 

Left a note saying next he did that I'd just scratch up his car.  Saw him parking again in there but this time he parked away from all cars.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Had same thing when I parked at work at a Hummer 2 parked in "small car only spot".  In order for him to be able to park and get out he needed to park over the line and when he did so he folded my mirror.  I needed crawl in from opposite door which is very difficult to do with bad feet, roll down window and hold mirror when I backed out. 

Left a note saying next he did that I'd just scratch up his car.  Saw him parking again in there but this time he parked away from all cars.

at least he made the attempt the second time!  

42 minutes ago, teef said:

I vote "yes" (to both)

40 minutes ago, teef said:

“You happy with that park?”

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Dean said:

Excellent point. But I hope you, and other stressed parents, at least find a place to secure the cart so it doesn't roll out into the parking lot aisle, parking space or vehicle.  

I think there is a decent argument for leaving them in the corrals. If everybody brought back their carts (as I do in normal times) it might cost jobs for those paid to retrieve them.

Actually the first thing I did was try to park near a cart corral or the store (if the carts went back to the store)

If someone was walking past, say "would you mind taking this back for me?"  Especially someone with kids, almost always worked and at Aldi, often tried to give me a quarter too.

But that didn't always work, so then yes, I would ensure the cart was positioned so it didn't block a parking space and couldn't roll.

I'm just not all in with the judgy-ness.  Sometimes people have reasonable reasons, and they don't always show.

Great story from 5 or 6 years ago:  My parents (now 80 and 75) were in a drug store parking lot getting ready to leave. 

The woman parked next to them left her cart in the parking lot and got into her car.  Windows were down.  My dad asked, "are you going to put your shopping cart away?"  She responded with, "go ***** yourself." 

My dad then said, "Nice mouth!  Do you kiss people with that?"  She flipped him off and drove away.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m whatever you say, but

1) some cart corrals are 20-30 seconds away, some are several minutes walk across the parking lot and back

2) Cracking a window doesn’t “cut it” for keeping a dog cool, why would it be effective for a baby.

NFW would I have ever placed my kid in a hot car around here and walk away to return a cart, nor in a running car that I then locked and walked away from.  

Unsafe

That was 19-20 years ago Less safe today.

And Frankly, my Dear, I don’t Give a Damn whether or not you think that’s Genuine.  

I also have little respect for people who respond in a discussion by telling other people they’re “playing a card” - speaking of “not Genuine”

1. Wheel cart to car.

2. Turn on car.

3. Load groceries into car.

4. Wheel cart with car to corral.

5. Bring kid back to car.

Multiple kids complicate that a bit, but there are definitely ways to avoid leaving the cart at the spot.  Sure, it takes a little extra work, but isn't that the definition of kids?

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Great story from 5 or 6 years ago:  My parents (now 80 and 75) were in a drug store parking lot getting ready to leave. 

The woman parked next to them left her cart in the parking lot and got into her car.  Windows were down.  My dad asked, "are you going to put your shopping cart away?"  She responded with, "go ***** yourself." 

My dad then said, "Nice mouth!  Do you kiss people with that?"  She flipped him off and drove away.

"No, but I did your mother" comes to mind...?

On 7/3/2020 at 1:27 PM, Gray Beard said:

Sometimes a round up stray carts and return them as well.  Do I get extra bonus points?

Before the virus, I would gather the carts near the cart rack and make sure they were inserted into each other.  Grocery stores often have double and triple wide areas and people often leave carts at the opening. For some reason I am compelled to stick all the carts together to insure there is room to put the carts there.  Since the virus I don't like to touch multiple carts so I don't do this very often.

Edited by Greybeard
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So how do you get your groceries to your car?  

With my hands. If I only have 3-4 bags I don't take the cart out of Publix.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:59 AM, T&C said:

Publix will ask if you want help with your cart. Even if I have just two bags I always say sure, lets go. Reason is that the baggers always want to get the ***** out of there, even if its for 5 minutes... and I get that. A little fresh air and they've "helped a customer".

Plus, after thanking them... mentioning something like "tell the girl stocking aisle 5 that she's hot as hell". The cross

eyed look back is either funny or... an agreement, yes she is.

Nice picture- a 68 year old prog-rocker scoping out the questionably legals...

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

At least curb it or put it on the side so it can't roll anywhere. 

That’s one approach......but I find it’s FAR more fun to give it a giant push up the middle of the row and try to guess which car it will hit first.  Hey, I’m just trying to have a little fun!  :)

• Haha (+1) 1