Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s about 200 mediocre white dudes like myself who make 6 figures based mostly on the fact that we look like our bosses or customers for every black person given preferential treatment by college admissions.  

You make 6 figures? You are mediocre and overpaid? And Mahomes is going to make 45 mil because he is black?

Edited by Niagara

15 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Is  Bubba Wallace a Redskins fan?

Somehow the name Bubba sounds fake for a black in a redneck sport. Doubt it was his given surname.

Edited by Niagara

1 hour ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Guess I got on the Redskins hate board than here. Amazes me that Bills fan find this so important

Amazes me, too. The debate about the team nickname has been going on for decades as every owner of the Washington franchise has experienced protest over its use. 

What’s different this time is that deep pocketed corporate sponsorships are raising the issue and threatening Snyder’s unshared revenue bottom line in a very meaningful way. These companies and their internal research are way ahead in recognizing the changing demographics and see the future for what it is. And no amount of triggered response on the right is going to change that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Amazes me, too. The debate about the team nickname has been going on for decades as every owner of the Washington franchise has experienced protest over its use. 

What’s different this time is that deep pocketed corporate sponsorships are raising the issue and threatening Snyder’s unshared revenue bottom line in a very meaningful way. These companies and their internal research are way ahead in recognizing the changing demographics and see the future for what it is. And no amount of triggered response on the right is going to change that. 

I remember when everyone LOVED the social justice tactics of Pepsi and Gillette. Oh wait.

The truth is most folks don’t care about this nonsense. 

Edited by FireChans

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I remember when everyone LOVED the social justice tactics of Pepsi and Gillette. Oh wait.

The truth is most folks don’t care about this nonsense. 

Nonsense or not, most people or not, corporate America cares because their internal marketing studies indicate that they should and they’re willing to bet on it. 

Just now, K-9 said:

Nonsense or not, most people or not, corporate America cares because their internal marketing studies indicate that they should and they’re willing to bet on it. 

Do you believe that copororate America could be wrong?

Just now, FireChans said:

Do you believe that copororate America could be wrong?

Of course as it’s been wrong before. But only rarely and with less sophisticated market analysis. Regardless, they are asserting themselves in this particular matter and Danny “NEVER! And you can put that in all caps” Snyder can’t ignore that pressure. 

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s about 200 mediocre white dudes like myself who make 6 figures based mostly on the fact that we look like our bosses or customers for every black person given preferential treatment by college admissions.  

There are studies that have been done where they send out identical resumes to employers where the only difference is whether it's a white sounding name or a black sounding name.  This study in particular found that white sounding names got a callback for every 10 resumes sent out where black sounding names got a callback for every 15 resumes sent out.

14 hours ago, Rob's House said:

How many of these people were actually discriminated against, and how many attributed racism to a situation where it did not apply? I have no idea. I have firsthand knowledge of several instances of people claiming racism where none exists

This is such a naive statement.  You do understand that most racists try very hard to not appear to be racists, right?  I mean, the norm isn’t wearing a white robe and pointy hat while screaming the n word.  And there are many racists who don’t even think they are racists, so you saying you “know” no racism existed is just so uninformed.

I’ll return to a question I asked in another thread.  Why are some white people afraid/threatened/disinterested by a discussion that suggests we need change?  Those people need to take a good long look in the mirror.  It’s as if some folks really think the human existence should not consist of constantly evaluating and evolving, and challenging previously held beliefs and ideas.

I’ll not participate further in this thread because I find it extremely frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

This is such a naive statement.  You do understand that most racists try very hard to not appear to be racists, right?  I mean, the norm isn’t wearing a white robe and pointy hat while screaming the n word.  And there are many racists who don’t even think they are racists, so you saying you “know” no racism existed is just so uninformed.

What's naive is accepting everything you hear at face value without skepticism.

You didn't inquire as to any of the examples, yet you somehow know I'm "uninformed." Let me share just a small few of the endless stream of examples.

I used to work in credit card fraud where an algorithm blocks a card based on spending patterns typical of stolen cards. The algorithm doesn't factor race, and no human eye evaluates the process, but I've had countless people tell me their card was stopped because of racism.

In college a black guy claimed he got a B because the professor was racist. The school had another professor grade the paper without knowing who wrote it. He gave it a C.

I used to work at a pizza place. We didn't deliver to certain neighborhoods because they were very highly ranked for murders per capital nationwide. But if I had a nickel for every time I heard it was because we were racist and hated making money if it meant black people got pizza I could retire early.

That's just the tip of the iceberg of things I've experienced personally. I could go on about this all day. The overwhelming majority of claims of racism I've ever heard have been baseless or outright false.

And that's prior to two months ago when for no particular reason everyone decided we were living in the 1800s again and everything under the sun suddenly became racist.

I’ll return to a question I asked in another thread.  Why are some white people afraid/threatened/disinterested by a discussion that suggests we need change?  Those people need to take a good long look in the mirror.  It’s as if some folks really think the human existence should not consist of constantly evaluating and evolving, and challenging previously held beliefs and ideas.

I'm challenging previously and currently held beliefs and ideas right now any you and many others are afraid and threatened by this discussion. Why is that?

If we need to "change" from the freest and most prosperous country in the history of the world, I'd like to be real clear on what we're changing, why and how. I'm not hearing a whole lot of substance.

All I hear is that black Americans, who are the freest and most prosperous black people anywhere in the history of the planet, are woefully oppressed. This is based on ???, and to fix it we're going to ???.

Burning cities, tearing down statues, and changing mascots doesn't seem effective. Neither does imposing your will on people to make them "uncomfortable" enough to comply with demands that you can't articulate in an effort to end whatever this "systemic racism" that you can't define or identify is.

And pursuing "justice" against innocent people for things they never did, and claiming grievances for things you never experienced, is not any kind of "change" I'm interested in.

I’ll not participate further in this thread because I find it extremely frustrating.

That's cognitive dissonance.

If you got something to say stand up and say it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Walmart and Target are pulling Redskins products off of the shelves 

Why wouldn’t they? The name is obsolete, or soon to be. They don’t sell Buffalo Braves gear either.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Just another step to "pressure" Dan to change the name. 

Sure it is but I think he made up his mind days ago. The name is changing. Only thing to wait for now is the official announcement.

For anyone still trying to argue that "nAtIvE AmEriCaNS dOn'T cArE, oNlY wOkE WhItE pEoPlE dO"

Native American groups ask NFL to force Redskins name change

More than a dozen Native American leaders and organizations sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday calling for the league to force Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to change the team name immediately.

The letter was signed by 15 Native American advocates and obtained by The Associated Press.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For anyone still trying to argue that "nAtIvE AmEriCaNS dOn'T cArE, oNlY wOkE WhItE pEoPlE dO"

Native American groups ask NFL to force Redskins name change

More than a dozen Native American leaders and organizations sent a letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday calling for the league to force Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder to change the team name immediately.

The letter was signed by 15 Native American advocates and obtained by The Associated Press.

Meh....still not a good representative sample and their letters are flawed!

/sarcasm