Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

18 minutes ago, eball said:

@Happy please let me know the nickname of a professional US sports team that 10% of white people find offensive.

I’ll be waiting. 

Too many people find something offensive nowadays.  Right now it is the Redskins, tomorrow it will be the Cleveland Indians, and coming soon it will be the Bills.  I mean, Wild Bill Cody fans can't be pleased with the Buffalo Bills team name; it disrespects an old West legend....right?.  Things are out of control, and people who shouldn't care but show righteous indignation are a big part of the problem.

Here is an article from May, 2016 which details that 90% of Native Americans do not find the team name of Redskins offensive:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name.  

Why is it that non-Native Americans have a problem with it?  They were the Boston Redskins starting in 1933, moved to Washington in 1937 and have been there ever since.  Now all of a sudden, within the last couple of years, the "enlightened" folk take it upon themselves to interject themselves where they don't belong.  You can stop waiting.

Just now, Happy said:

Too many people find something offensive nowadays.  Right now it is the Redskins, tomorrow it will be the Cleveland Indians, and coming soon it will be the Bills.  I mean, Wild Bill Cody fans can't be pleased with the Buffalo Bills team name; it disrespects an old West legend....right?.  Things are out of control, and people who shouldn't care but show righteous indignation are a big part of the problem.

Here is an article from May, 2016 which details that 90% of Native Americans do not find the team name of Redskins offensive:  https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name.  

Why is it that non-Native Americans have a problem with it?  They were the Boston Redskins starting in 1933, moved to Washington in 1937 and have been there ever since.  Now all of a sudden, within the last couple of years, the "enlightened" folk take it upon themselves to interject themselves where they don't belong.  You can stop waiting.

its already the Cleveland Indians. 

Indians ready to discuss changing team name
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1982302

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

Not surprising at all. Let's see what's offensive in another 20 years,  and if they need to  recalibrate. 

20 years?  Nah, I think we'll only need to wait 20 days to find out what else is offensive.  Hopefully the native americans the Cleveland Indians speak with won't care if they keep the current team name.  That would be the best outcome.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

If they start going after little Irish Catholic Leprechauns I’m gonna get angry!  

Are you referring to the Fighting Irish?  If so, they'll change their name to the Fighting Drunks.  The drunk people won't care just as long as Notre Dame buys them a Harp or Guiness pint.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Typical inbreed in it.  She was "1/12" native american.  I guess that is because her mother was impregnated by 2 men at once otherwise the math does not work out.

You sort of suck at math.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Happy said:

You bring up a good point.  It’s pretty astounding how many of America’s “heroes” became famous via being prolific at murder and oppression. What do you make of that?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Happy said:

It is a minority of the native population, as of May, 2016, only 10% found the team name 'Redskins' offensive.  The link is a few posts above.

I'm glad you're still friends with your childhood friend, those are important the older we get.  It is an apples to oranges comparison, though.  One person's preference as to how they want to be referred versus a long standing, major sports team name where a small minority of individuals take offense.  

Well, it’s a BS poll.  Link   It suits your agenda, but it wasn’t a real poll and even a cursory examination shows what it was.  Why not answer the questions I posed?  Why hide behind some BS poll?  Why use a slur when you could just as easily use another name?  Why is it so important to you to be able to say “Redskins”?

7 minutes ago, Billl said:

You bring up a good point.  It’s pretty astounding how many of America’s “heroes” became famous via being prolific at murder and oppression. What do you make of that?

I have no idea where you came up with this.  You seem to be several slices of bread short of a full loaf.

5 minutes ago, Happy said:

I have no idea where you came up with this.  You seem to be several slices of bread short of a full loaf.

Let me guess, your against wearing a mask, against gun control, and see nothing wrong with the confederate flag?

49 minutes ago, Happy said:

There was a contradictory study done last February with double the sample size.  Get ready for the Tomahawk Chop being banned.

New University of Michigan research reveals high rates of opposition to not only the use of gestures and chants, but also to Native American mascots and team names like the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

The results run contrary to polls reported by national news outlets, which suggest that as few as 10% of Native peoples are offended by Native mascots and, specifically, the Redskins team name.

The study, which involved researchers at U-M and University of California, Berkeley, found that about half of the respondents in the sample of 1,000 Native Americans—the largest of its kind to date—are offended by the tomahawk chop or mascots in chief headdresses.

But opposition is even higher among people who most strongly identify with being Native American. For example, among Native Americans who frequently engage in tribal/cultural practices, 67% find the Redskins team name offensive; 70% find sports fans wearing chief headdresses offensive; 65% find sports fans chanting the tomahawk chop offensive; and 73% find sports fans imitating Native American dances offensive.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Well, it’s a BS poll.  Link   It suits your agenda, but it wasn’t a real poll and even a cursory examination shows what it was.  Why not answer the questions I posed?  Why hide behind some BS poll?  Why use a slur when you could just as easily use another name?  Why is it so important to you to be able to say “Redskins”?

Hide behind a BS poll?  Agenda?  Negative to both.  Speaking of agendas, the article you linked was written by a lady with an agenda.  She didn't like the age of the people polled, she didn't like the region they were polled, not enough women were polled, those polled were not Indian enough for her, and on and on.  The NBC Sports article which references the Washington Post poll was conducted nationwide with a sample size of 500 native americans.  I'm not sure why this isn't good enough for some.  If there was a majority of those polled who took offense to the team name 'Redskins' the Washington Post would be among the first to suggest changing the name since they are not exactly a conservative newspaper, they are actually quite liberal.

You got me, I'm intent on using a slur and it is really important to me...guess what I'm thinking right now, since you know my motives and all.  How you arrived at this conclusion is perplexing.  The Redskins team name has been around since 1933; I find it amazing that the super woke people are intent on changing a traditional name, which was not intended on being a slur, within just the past few years.  Why all the new "enlightened" types need to impose yourselves in areas you should not be concerned with is annoying since the vast majority of you all are most likely not even .01% native american.

What question did you pose that I haven't answered?  I don't recall anything of significance.  The only thing BS are the two articles you linked.

23 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Let me guess, your against wearing a mask, against gun control, and see nothing wrong with the confederate flag?

Let me guess, you're thrilled with social distancing, being locked up at home, and this was the best 4th of July you could ever have imagined.

4 minutes ago, Happy said:

Hide behind a BS poll?  Agenda?  Negative to both.  Speaking of agendas, the article you linked was written by a lady with an agenda.  She didn't like the age of the people polled, she didn't like the region they were polled, not enough women were polled, those polled were not Indian enough for her, and on and on.  The NBC Sports article which references the Washington Post poll was conducted nationwide with a sample size of 500 native americans.  I'm not sure why this isn't good enough for some.  If there was a majority of those polled who took offense to the team name 'Redskins' the Washington Post would be among the first to suggest changing the name since they are not exactly a conservative newspaper, they are actually quite liberal.

You got me, I'm intent on using a slur and it is really important to me...guess what I'm thinking right now, since you know my motives and all.  How you arrived at this conclusion is perplexing.  The Redskins team name has been around since 1933; I find it amazing that the super woke people are intent on changing a traditional name, which was not intended on being a slur, within just the past few years.  Why all the new "enlightened" types need to impose yourselves in areas you should not be concerned with is annoying since the vast majority of you all are most likely not even .01% native american.

What question did you pose that I haven't answered?  I don't recall anything of significance.  The only thing BS are the two articles you linked.

Let me guess, you're thrilled with social distancing, being locked up at home, and this was the best 4th of July you could ever have imagined.

LOL... thanks for confirming. Maybe you should change your name to UNhappy.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There was a contradictory study done last February with double the sample size.  Get ready for the Tomahawk Chop being banned.

New University of Michigan research reveals high rates of opposition to not only the use of gestures and chants, but also to Native American mascots and team names like the NFL’s Washington Redskins.

The results run contrary to polls reported by national news outlets, which suggest that as few as 10% of Native peoples are offended by Native mascots and, specifically, the Redskins team name.

The study, which involved researchers at U-M and University of California, Berkeley, found that about half of the respondents in the sample of 1,000 Native Americans—the largest of its kind to date—are offended by the tomahawk chop or mascots in chief headdresses.

But opposition is even higher among people who most strongly identify with being Native American. For example, among Native Americans who frequently engage in tribal/cultural practices, 67% find the Redskins team name offensive; 70% find sports fans wearing chief headdresses offensive; 65% find sports fans chanting the tomahawk chop offensive; and 73% find sports fans imitating Native American dances offensive.

I see.  So after 87 years the team name Redskins is all of a sudden derogatory and offensive.  Got it.

2 hours ago, Happy said:

I see.  So after 87 years the team name Redskins is all of a sudden derogatory and offensive.  Got it.

To some.  Yeah.  There's been Native American groups pushing them to change the name since the early 90's when they whooped us in the Super Bowl. 

If I was Daniel Snyder though I'd change it to the Washington Bullets to piss everybody off.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

To some.  Yeah.  There's been Native American groups pushing them to change the name since the early 90's when they whooped us in the Super Bowl. 

If I was Daniel Snyder though I'd change it to the Washington Bullets to piss everybody off.

Washington swamp creatures seems very fitting 

• Haha (+1) 1