Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

3 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

well if your doomsday scenario of this runaway slippery slope of wokeness actually occurs then I’ll be sure to give you full credit for predicting it. 

and you’re the karen in this thread, not sure how you misused that term so completely.

one could argue that we are upon the precipice of that runaway slippery slope.

as for the "Karen" comment, i gonna go ahead and guess you missed the point entirely.

14 minutes ago, Beast said:

You do realize that Redskins is not offensive to a whole lot of people, to include a whole lot of Native Americans, don't you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

You do realize that Redskins is offensive to a whole lot of people, to include a whole lot of Native Americans, don't you?

http://nativeappropriations.com/2016/05/wapos-new-redskns-survey.html

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

We decide through an open and honest discussion about these issues, how the hell else does a wrong get righted? Your argument pretends that a solution can’t be found, or that treating others as you would want to be treated is not something to aspire to. Has our country become so intellectually lazy that finding a solution is just to hard to attempt? 

can i guess what your pronoun is?

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

one could argue that we are upon the precipice of that runaway slippery slope.

as for the "Karen" comment, i gonna go ahead and guess you missed the point entirely.

Yeah I have trouble interpreting the ravings of scared, sad little regressives. I’m trying to learn though.

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Most people, I’d think.  Why else would someone intentionally continue to use the old name other than because they are acting out?

I think there is just a loud minority who are taken back by the name Redskins.  Not all Native Americans are offended, or even care, by the Redskins team name; and that very well may be the majority of tribes.  Nobody who addresses the team name is degrading Native Americans, in fact, I believe they don't even think about it; I know I fall into that category.  I think only a minority of all Americans are supposedly bothered by the name, which is most likely politically motivated.

1 minute ago, Happy said:

I think there is just a loud minority who are taken back by the name Redskins.  Not all Native Americans are offended, or even care, by the Redskins team name; and that very well may be the majority of tribes.  Nobody who addresses the team name is degrading Native Americans, in fact, I believe they don't even think about it; I know I fall into that category.  I think only a minority of all Americans are supposedly bothered by the name, which is most likely politically motivated.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

After years of controversy surrounding the Redskins name, The Washington Post released a new poll that finds 9 in 10 Native Americans are not offended by the name.  The poll surveyed opinions on the team name from more than 500 Native Americans across the country.

But way to go cherry picking a video of politically motivated people, and Jon Steward (which is satire, by the way).

1 minute ago, Happy said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/new-poll-finds-90-percent-native-americans-not-offended-redskins-name

But way to go cherry picking a video of politically motivated people, and Jon Steward (which is satire, by the way).

41 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

You do realize that Redskins is offensive to a whole lot of people, to include a whole lot of Native Americans, don't you?

http://nativeappropriations.com/2016/05/wapos-new-redskns-survey.html

4 hours ago, eball said:

Just spitballing here, but I’d assume those people will simply be considered jackasses. 

it will take a minute for folks to reacclimate to a different name. I live in san diego and I often think of the Chargers as "san Diego" instead of LA".....its a brain slip it's going to happen and often. The new name will become known with a new fight song or a marketing scheme eventually.  People are creatures of habit and the Redskins name has been around for years.the team has  a storied past. The  name won't go silently into the night. The new name wont be consensus popular no matter which name they choose either. Im trying to empathize with their fans, as if someone did ask for the Bills to change names.  Thats not happening IMO. In the case of Redskins though some see it as a sports name others as a racial slur...Big Difference. The slur proponents are being heard now and I dont have any problem with they changing the name. At least they will still have football.

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So the NBC Sports article clearly states that a Washington Post poll (national survey) found that 90% of Native Americans are not offended by 'Redskins.' 

Then you link some obscure native appropriations site which arrives at a completely opposite case.  Both articles are from May 19, 2016.  I think I'll side with the NBC Sports article since I think your link is both fabricating the truth and has a political slant.

I'm sure some Native Americans are offended by the name, but again, it is the minority.  Let's say that number grew to 20% (from 10% in 2016), does it really make sense to change a long standing, traditional name for 20% of a population?  I couldn't care less what non Native Americans think about this.  If the Redskins change their name, it is financially motivated due to cowardly corporate sponsors dropping the team.  I side with Dan Snyder on this and I hope he finds new sponsors.

Edited by Happy
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Happy said:

It’s not a minority among the native population.  In any event it’s a whole lot of people who view “redskins” as a slur.  It’s also kind of ridiculous to point to intent.  It’s something that a lot of people view as a racial slur and there’s certainly good reason why.

To me it’s similar to this true story.  I have had a friend since kindergarten and I’m 51 now.  I used to call him Billy.  We were kids and it differentiated him from my uncle Bill.  One day when I was in college he says to me “You know, you’re the only one that still calls me Billy.”  He was telling me that he knew it wasn’t intentional, but that it was disrespectful.  So I started calling him Bill.  It cost me nothing to do that and it was a respectful way to treat another person.  That’s what this amounts to with Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s not a minority among the native population.  In any event it’s a whole lot of people who view “redskins” as a slur.  It’s also kind of ridiculous to point to intent.  It’s something that a lot of people view as a racial slur and there’s certainly good reason why.

To me it’s similar to this true story.  I have had a friend since kindergarten and I’m 51 now.  I used to call him Billy.  We were kids and it differentiated him from my uncle Bill.  One day when I was in college he says to me “You know, you’re the only one that still calls me Billy.”  He was telling me that he knew it wasn’t intentional, but that it was disrespectful.  So I started calling him Bill.  It cost me nothing to do that and it was a respectful way to treat another person.  That’s what this amounts to with Washington. 

It is a minority of the native population, as of May, 2016, only 10% found the team name 'Redskins' offensive.  The link is a few posts above.

I'm glad you're still friends with your childhood friend, those are important the older we get.  It is an apples to oranges comparison, though.  One person's preference as to how they want to be referred versus a long standing, major sports team name where a small minority of individuals take offense.  

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I’m cool with name Redskins...but then again I’d be cool with New York Negross or Dallas White Boys...

I mean, they already have a team called The Browns, so I don’t really see the big deal...??‍♂️?

/smh

A Brownie  is Scottish/English for an elflike character:

ba8d927befdcaebe910c04cd1833bd49.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Typical inbreed in it.  She was "1/12" native american.  I guess that is because her mother was impregnated by 2 men at once otherwise the math does not work out.

No it means one great grand parents and one great great grand parent

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/2/2020 at 9:42 PM, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

Indians ready to discuss changing team name
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1982302

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Indians ready to discuss changing team name
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1982302

The Redskins and Indians are the two that need change, IMO.

The Indians got even more silly over the years with the cartoony logo. I don't think the Redskins logo offends anyone.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

/smh

A Brownie  is Scottish/English for an elflike character:

ba8d927befdcaebe910c04cd1833bd49.jpg

that's not an elf, thats Baker Mayfield

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The Redskins and Indians are the two that need change, IMO.

The Indians got even more silly over the years with the cartoony logo. 

I believe they already did away with Chief Wahoo.I'll be interested to see when the movie Major League and Indian motorcycles are due for the chopping block. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

that's not an elf, thats Baker Mayfield

Yes, but it's 'Halloween Baker'.  Not 'Grunge Baker', or 'GQ Baker', like we get in the post game press conferences.  ?

Shoudn't he be flipping us off?  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013