Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

12 hours ago, Thurman Kelly said:

I don't care about Washington's football team, and I certainly don't care about their name, but if the NFL doesn't decide to be a football league instead of a lobbying organization pretty soon , they are going to lose a lot of fans and I'm going to be one of them.  I've been a Bills season ticket holder a long time, but between planning to play without fans in the stands, kneeling, performing a so called "black national anthem", renaming teams, and declaring their support for political causes, I'm just about ready to find something else to do.

I don't watch football to hear anyone's political opinions or grievances.  I doubt that those who are complaining the loudest watch football at all.  I can watch CNN or Fox News if I want to follow the latest in politics.

There are still alternative things to do with my time other than watch sports - that don't require me to endure political infomercials.

How is planning to play without fans going to drive you away ? I’m sure the Bills would love a full stadium, and the revenue it generates. This isn’t their decision. Plus, politics are everywhere today. People have gone absolutely mad feeling the need to constantly choose a “side”. So if you can find an activity that involves fully escaping politics, good luck because both sides have decided we need constant reminders of where they stand politically. It’s become part of our identities in a world that leaves most people feeling completely disconnected and unsatisfied. It’s a mechanism to connect with the world in an increasingly disconnected society. You just have to make the choice to ignore the noise, because it’s part of our world now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Maybe by you, and you only, in which case who cares.

Most people, I’d think.  Why else would someone intentionally continue to use the old name other than because they are acting out?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

where and when so these supposed behavioral changes stop?

who and/or what decides what is appropriate?

Well the whites had the call for 400 years....and look at where we are.....

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I asked you a question. Plain and simple. Easy to answer.

What is acceptable moving forward when talking about the Washington Redskins past if a name change is made?

And what happens if people insist on calling them what their name was? 

just don’t do it on the internet, lest they trace your username to your real life name and you get fired for being insensitive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Most people, I’d think.  Why else would someone intentionally continue to use the old name other than because they are acting out?

OK, so we won't be able to say the Washington Redskins won three SB Championships in their history without being looked upon as acting out or being a racist?

I'll be using the name Redskins while referring to their past because that was their name. In fact, it still is yheir name for the time being.

Can we not show highlights of past home Redskins games because it does say Redskins in the endzone? Better burn the videos of SB 26 and a host of other SB games. 

The history won't be wiped away like a statue you don't like.

Edited by Beast

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

OK, so we won't be able to say the Washington Redskins won three SB Championships in their history without being looked upon as acting out or being a racist?

I'll be using the name Redskins while referring to their past because that was their name. In fact, it still is yheir name for the time being.

Can we not show highlights of past home Redskins games because it does say Redskins in the endzone? Better burn the videos of SB 26 and a host of other SB games. 

So because it would be awkward talking about stupid ***** we did in the past we shouldn't stop doing stupid ***** in the present?

Disbelief GIF - Disbelief - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

So because it would be awkward talking about stupid ***** in the past we shouldn't change stupid ***** in the present?

Disbelief GIF - Disbelief - Discover & Share GIFs

I really don't care what the Redskins change their name to. I am referencing their past and what kind of reaction people are going to have when people called them the Redskins.

It appears, at least from this thread, it may cause problems for some when they hear that name. 

I’m cool with name Redskins...but then again I’d be cool with New York Negross or Dallas White Boys...

I mean, they already have a team called The Browns, so I don’t really see the big deal...??‍♂️?

Edited by JaCrispy

12 minutes ago, Beast said:

I really don't care what the Redskins change their name to. I am referencing their past and what kind of reaction people are going to have when people called them the Redskins.

It appears, at least from this thread, it may cause problems for some when they hear that name. 

So first of all just using the new name to refer to them wouldn't be that hard or confusing. Second the word "Redskins" is offensive so yes anytime you choose to use it you risk offending people, I mean intention matters of course but then again you can't just assume people will know your intention.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So first of all just using the new name to refer to them wouldn't be that hard or confusing. Second the word "Redskins" is offensive so yes anytime you choose to use it you risk offending people, I mean intention matters of course but then again you can't just assume people will know your intention.

You do realize that Redskins is not offensive to a whole lot of people, to include a whole lot of Native Americans, don't you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Edited by Beast

22 minutes ago, Beast said:

You’re putting a lot of words in my mouth.  I responded to someone who asked how someone who continued to refer to the team as the Redskins should be perceived.  Feel free to respond to that.

When referring to the team historically I’d say it depends on context.  I’d think that rather than use a racial slur people will use the new name if the context is simply old records or wins.  Everyone will know who they mean.  In years to come newer/younger fans won’t associate the old name with the team anyway.

So why would you deem it necessary to use “Redskins” when referring to Washington’s past?  Everyone would know what team you meant if you used the new name.  What’s gained by insisting on using a slur?