Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

To me the word redskin is tantamount to using the “N” word, there is no positive connotation in the use of either word.  While on the other hand, being a “Brave” or a “Chief” is aspirational, both of those words are seen as affirmative and viewed in a positive way in many cultures, in the business world being the CFO or a COO is a position of power, and being Brave is what we honor in our own Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coast Guard and National Guard service members.  Remarkable as it is some would disagree, but the historical origin of RS or N is evil,  and that can not be successfully argued against.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

To me the word redskin is tantamount to using the “N” word, there is no positive connotation in the use of either word. 

Oh really?

So, are you in favor of firing each and every person that has ever said Redskins?

Have YOU ever said Redskins?

I anxiously await your response.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Beast said:

Have you watched football for the last 35 years?

To this day, there are people that slip up and call the Indianapolis Colts the Baltimore Colts.

But you failed to answer my question. What should we refer to the Redskins when we talk about their past?

I am under no obligation to answer your questions but I actually did by giving several examples of how to handle that, ie the same way we handle the Minneapolis Lakers and the New York Titans, we forget their old name and use their new name. Not exactly a verbal gordian knot. 

Just now, Mickey said:

I am under no obligation to answer your questions but I actually did by giving several examples of how to handle that, ie the same way we handle the Minneapolis Lakers and the New York Titans, we forget their old name and use their new name. Not exactly a verbal gordian knot. 

Oh, I am so happy to know you are under no obligation to answer my question.

LMAO!

The 5th amendment is alive and well on Two Bills Drive!

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

but reading comprehension isn't.

Correct.

I know a great teacher I am friends with that can help you and others with your issues with that problem.

By definition, a name is "offensive" if people are offended by it.  While different polls have produced different results, last year Berkeley conducted the biggest poll on the issue yet.  49% of Native Americans surveyed said they were offended by the name "Redskins."  

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/02/study-redskins-name-more-offensive-than-previously-reported/

Additionally, the National Congress of American Indians, the Navajo Nation, the Osage Nation, the Seminole Nation, the Oneida Indian Nation, the Comanche Nation of OK, the Cherokee Nation of OK, the Hoh Indian Tribe, the Shoshone-Bannock tribes, the Samish tribe, the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, the Poarch Band of Creek Indians, the Little River Band of Ottowa Indians, and several other indigenous organizations have all condemned the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_name_change_advocates

Would it be acceptable to name a team Whiteskins?  Blackskins?  Yellowskins?

I don't know why anyone would want to offend our Native American brothers and sisters for the sake of maintaining the name of a team that plays a game.  As a loyal American and combat veteran, I strongly feel that Americans should have each others' backs - not offend and disregard each other.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

To this day, there are people that slip up and call the Indianapolis Colts the Baltimore Colts.

But you failed to answer my question. What should we refer to the Redskins when we talk about their past?

I love how you’re pretending to be concerned about logistics.  

1 hour ago, Beast said:

So, are you in favor of firing each and every person that has ever said Redskins?

Have YOU ever said Redskins?

On the quest for understanding.... check out strawman argument (and as you respond to me then ad hominem attacks).

5 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

On the quest for understanding.... check out strawman argument (and as you respond to me then ad hominem attacks).

Why didn’t you include what he said?

He said that the word Redskins is the same as using the “N” word.

Do you agree with that?

If so, have you ever said Redskins? 

There is no strawman in asking that. None.

Edited by Beast

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

By definition, a name is "offensive" if people are offended by it.  While different polls have produced different results, last year Berkeley conducted the biggest poll on the issue yet.  49% of Native Americans surveyed said they were offended by the name "Redskins."  

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/02/study-redskins-name-more-offensive-than-previously-reported/

Additionally, the National Congress of American Indians, among numerous other Native American and tribal groups, has condemned the name.

Would it be acceptable to name a team Whiteskins?  Blackskins?  Yellowskins?

I don't know why anyone would want to offend our Native American brothers and sisters for the sake of maintaining the name of a team that plays a game.  As a loyal American and combat veteran, I strongly feel that Americans should have each others' backs - not offend and disregard each other.  

I am not sure where your poll came from since it is so far outside the norm but it shows either every other poll was warped or UC Berkeley was trying to prove a point. I will state that the few friends I have who are native Americans root for the Seminoles and the Redskins. I will link to the previous poll by another set of liberals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

His is not a straw man argument- I think you simply have no clue what that means- if Redskin is equal to N word then simply uttering phrase should get you fired. If Redskin is offensive it is at a much less level then N word.

On 7/2/2020 at 8:42 PM, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

No more team names,  just Team 1 to Team 32.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman Kelly said:

I don't care about Washington's football team, and I certainly don't care about their name, but if the NFL doesn't decide to be a football league instead of a lobbying organization pretty soon , they are going to lose a lot of fans and I'm going to be one of them.  I've been a Bills season ticket holder a long time, but between planning to play without fans in the stands, kneeling, performing a so called "black national anthem", renaming teams, and declaring their support for political causes, I'm just about ready to find something else to do.

I don't watch football to hear anyone's political opinions or grievances.  I doubt that those who are complaining the loudest watch football at all.  I can watch CNN or Fox News if I want to follow the latest in politics.

There are still alternative things to do with my time other than watch sports - that don't require me to endure political infomercials.

Lol at “ lobbying organization” 

you know no one cares what you do with your time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

1) Why didn’t you include what he said?

He said that the word Redskins is the same as using the “N” word.

2) Do you agree with that?

3) If so, have you ever said Redskins? 

4) There is no strawman in asking that. None.

1) Doesn't matter see 4

2) Yes

3) Yes...however, I matured and listened to those it offends and stopped last year and just call them Washington (much like I say Seattle) when referring to the team.

4) umm okay... look it up.

5) Finally, I am personally done "discussing" with you. I feel like I am playing chess with a pigeon....the bird will just crap on the board and strut around as if he is winning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/2/2020 at 9:42 PM, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

Then keep going. Seems like there are only a handful “Redskins” being most offensive because it’s so on the nose including the logo. 

1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Didn't  Cowboys kill Native Americans??  They're next.

Wasn't Buffalo Bill Cody a Cowboy??

At this rate we have about a month left before we become the Buffalo Bisons.

Excellent over-exaggeration. The other CHUDs in this thread would be proud. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beast said:

lol. Never seen more effort put into such a flimsy strawman. 

A. No one does the bolded, except perhaps the fellow seniles in your inner circle.

B. How about just calling them Washington when referring to their past? Are there two Washington football teams? Who’s the other one?