Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

1 hour ago, Beast said:

So, if they do change their name what do we call them when refering to them about their past?   The Washington franchise

Will people start crying and throw tantrums if we say the Redskins were the first opponent the Bills played at Rich Stadium?  highly unlikely

Will people be looked upon as racists if someone slips up and call them the Redskins?  doubtful, i'm sure many that currently use the name aren't racists.

I mean, Redskin appears to be a racial slur so should it now be treated like the N word? Will people lose their jobs if they say that word? It's obviously not the same thing, it's insensitive, not inflammatory. It's not often used as an insult or in a derogatory fashion, like the N word. It's an outdated word that needs to be put in the history books.

And, yes...I am being totally serious about these questions. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I respect their right to change the name, and the right of their sponsors to withdraw sponsorship and force change. That being said, it’s stupid and you have to work very hard to be offended by a football teams name- but that’s where we are as a country. 

All that being said, as a fan of football- I love the idea of a team changing names! Never seen this before. Now I just need an expansion team!

This is also where we were in 1992, I remember protests at Super Bowl XXVI.  I don't think it's hard work, it's common sense for many of us. I'm not offended by it, being white, but i understand those that are and I'm good with that. It's just changing a team nickname, I think everything will be ok after.

• Like (+1) 1

Anddddddd....the Cleveland Indians are next!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1909001/2020/07/03/cleveland-indians-ready-to-discuss-changing-team-name/%3famp

Anyone else want to argue my original post?

Say goodbye to ANY team that has a nickname derived from Indians.

The cancel culture is real.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, Beast said:

So, if they do change their name what do we call them when refering to them about their past?

Will people start crying and throw tantrums if we say the Redskins were the first opponent the Bills played at Rich Stadium?

Will people be looked upon as racists if someone slips up and call them the Redskins?  

I mean, Redskin appears to be a racial slur so should it now be treated like the N word? Will people lose their jobs if they say that word?

Nope to all 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/1909001/2020/07/03/cleveland-indians-ready-to-discuss-changing-team-name/%3famp

Again- why do you care?

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

All the years with this as their mascot probably didn't help.

170px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

25 minutes ago, klos63 said:

This is also where we were in 1992, I remember protests at Super Bowl XXVI.  I don't think it's hard work, it's common sense for many of us. I'm not offended by it, being white, but i understand those that are and I'm good with that. It's just changing a team nickname, I think everything will be ok after.

I can understand why they would be or think they should be- but I can also say it’s stupid to be offended by that. Furthermore, i think it’s as much the narrative as it is the actual offense involved. 

I’m sure things will be fine, and it makes the Redskins exciting, which is a solid first. 

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

All the years with this as their mascot probably didn't help.

170px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

Did they not get rid of that?

Is it a cartoon Figure  or the name?

21 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Because I'm interested in hearing your rationale. 

Liar.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

So, if they do change their name what do we call them when refering to them about their past?

Will people start crying and throw tantrums if we say the Redskins were the first opponent the Bills played at Rich Stadium?

Will people be looked upon as racists if someone slips up and call them the Redskins?  

I mean, Redskin appears to be a racial slur so should it now be treated like the N word? Will people lose their jobs if they say that word?

I seem to be able to muddle through life without using the word "redskins" without too much trouble. When I talk about the Jets, it hasn't been necessary for me to refer to them as the team formerly known as the New York Titans. When I talk about the Lakers, it hasn't been a real stumbling block to just forget that they were ever the Minneapolis Lakers.

Is there some reason why you just don't think you'll be able to make it through life without the word "redskins" as an active part of your vocabulary?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

I seem to be able to muddle through life without using the word "redskins" without too much trouble. When I talk about the Jets, it hasn't been necessary for me to refer to them as the team formerly known as the New York Titans. When I talk about the Lakers, it hasn't been a real stumbling block to just forget that they were ever the Minneapolis Lakers.

Is there some reason why you just don't think you'll be able to make it through life without the word "redskins" as an active part of your vocabulary?

I mean couldn't you just use the new name with the date of whenever your talking about.

• Like (+1) 1

This could be a huge money maker for them. They get to sell all new merchandise, and avoid needing to answer questions about why they are named the Redskins. I'd do it in a heartbeat, no matter whether they think its racist or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Have you watched football for the last 35 years?

To this day, there are people that slip up and call the Indianapolis Colts the Baltimore Colts.

But you failed to answer my question. What should we refer to the Redskins when we talk about their past?

I don't care about Washington's football team, and I certainly don't care about their name, but if the NFL doesn't decide to be a football league instead of a lobbying organization pretty soon , they are going to lose a lot of fans and I'm going to be one of them.  I've been a Bills season ticket holder a long time, but between planning to play without fans in the stands, kneeling, performing a so called "black national anthem", renaming teams, and declaring their support for political causes, I'm just about ready to find something else to do.

I don't watch football to hear anyone's political opinions or grievances.  I doubt that those who are complaining the loudest watch football at all.  I can watch CNN or Fox News if I want to follow the latest in politics.

There are still alternative things to do with my time other than watch sports - that don't require me to endure political infomercials.

Edited by Thurman Kelly
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1