Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

As I mentioned just a few posts before this one, the term redskin initially referred to the use of red clay that certain tribes used to paint on their skin. It wasn’t always a racial slur.

It was acceptable to the oppressors but not to the oppressed. The same is true of the word "Redskin" - it doesn't matter whether white people find it offensive or not, it is and always has been a racial slur.

Slavery ended not because black people protested it, but because enough white people developed a conscience and saw it for what it was: racial oppression. The same goes for segregation. Minorities will never have enough power to change things on their own; they need allies in the majority, because the majority has the power.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I respect their right to change the name, and the right of their sponsors to withdraw sponsorship and force change. That being said, it’s stupid and you have to work very hard to be offended by a football teams name- but that’s where we are as a country. 

All that being said, as a fan of football- I love the idea of a team changing names! Never seen this before. Now I just need an expansion team!

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

I'm not naive. I realize that perfection is not achievable, but constant improvement is, and I think we can do a whole lot better than we're currently doing. Do you really think society has reached the pinnacle - that this is the best we can be? That's awfully cynical.

Or is it just that racial issues don't directly impact you, so you don't see any need to change? Because that's worse than cynical - it's heartless.

Who are the gatekeepers of what’s better and what exactly is a “whole lot better” to you?  Do you think you have a moral mandate to educate others? 

Do you think lived experiences are more important than statistics that may show otherwise? In other words, moral relativism? Do you gravitate to group think or do you think rationally and research ideas before espousing beliefs?

Edited by HamSandwhich

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So because you think this will somehow spread to teams whose names shouldn't have to change they shouldn't change the name of a team that should?

Don’t you know that doing the right thing is a slippery slope to doing the wrong thing?

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Whats considered offensive changes over time. It hasn't always been offensive. It's a constantly evolving meter. Slavery was an acceptable practice at one time. 

You’re ———> <——— this close to getting it.

6 minutes ago, Billl said:

Don’t you know that doing the right thing is a slippery slope to doing the wrong thing?

You’re ———> <——— this close to getting it.

Thank you for elaborating.......can you please what getting "it" entails? 

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Whats considered offensive changes over time. It hasn't always been offensive. It's a constantly evolving meter. Slavery was an acceptable practice at one time. 

16 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Thank you for elaborating.......can you please what getting "it" entails? 

Can’t believe I need to connect these dots for you, but...as you said...slavery was an acceptable practice at one time.  Using ‘what was acceptable in the past’ as a barometer for what is acceptable in the present has never worked. 

This country is too sensitive, but I understand the name change. 

Washington Washingtons. George Washington as the logo. Done.

I honestly thought the Bills were named after the serial killer in silence of the lambs until about 1996.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

So, if they do change their name what do we call them when refering to them about their past?

Will people start crying and throw tantrums if we say the Redskins were the first opponent the Bills played at Rich Stadium?

Will people be looked upon as racists if someone slips up and call them the Redskins?  

I mean, Redskin appears to be a racial slur so should it now be treated like the N word? Will people lose their jobs if they say that word?

And, yes...I am being totally serious about these questions.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I respect their right to change the name, and the right of their sponsors to withdraw sponsorship and force change. That being said, it’s stupid and you have to work very hard to be offended by a football teams name- but that’s where we are as a country. 

All that being said, as a fan of football- I love the idea of a team changing names! Never seen this before. Now I just need an expansion team!

Good post.  The only thing I would disagree with is the idea of the Redskins changing their name; they were one of the original teams from the pre-NFL era and have been the Redskins all along.  But now we have to go changing things in our modern "enlightened" era.

Edited by Happy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

Who are the gatekeepers of what’s better and what exactly is a “whole lot better” to you?  Do you think you have a moral mandate to educate others? 

Do you think lived experiences are more important than statistics that may show otherwise? In other words, moral relativism? Do you gravitate to group think or do you think rationally and research ideas before espousing beliefs?

I don't know what precipitated the anger in that response, but I'm sorry I triggered it.

As for the thread topic, I've presented all the pertinent arguments to support my position. If you don't buy it, then that's your right. Either way, I'm done.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I don't know what precipitated the anger in that response, but I'm sorry I triggered it.

As for the thread topic, I've presented all the pertinent arguments to support my position. If you don't buy it, then that's your right. Either way, I'm done.

What exactly made you think I’m angry? I’m just curious. I don’t understand the train of thought that you express, I’m trying to clarify your point of view to see if I can understand and perhaps adopt it if it makes sense. 

What is the underlying philosophy or school of thought you are ascribing to? 

Edited by HamSandwhich

55 minutes ago, Billl said:

Can’t believe I need to connect these dots for you, but...as you said...slavery was an acceptable practice at one time.  Using ‘what was acceptable in the past’ as a barometer for what is acceptable in the present has never worked. 

I never said past barometers are the standard for today. This is your projection,  not mine.

1 hour ago, youngjebrey said:

Literally just spent 20 minutes searching the philosophy of William Cody in case someone tries to cancel the buffalo bills. So far, seemed like a real good guy. Aside from all the bison he massacred. PETA could make a stink. 

I also spent a lot of time reading about him after I shockingly found out the Bills weren't named after the Silence of the Lambs serial killer. Lol. But then I was like why are we named after a guy that killed Bison with no connection to the city of Buffalo?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1