Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

26 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It was acceptable to the oppressors but not to the oppressed. The same is true of the word "Redskin" - it doesn't matter whether white people find it offensive or not, it is and always has been a racial slur.

Slavery ended not because black people protested it, but because enough white people developed a conscience and saw it for what it was: racial oppression. The same goes for segregation. Minorities will never have enough power to change things on their own; they need allies in the majority, because the majority has the power.

Curious, what does your idealist world look like? 

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mods decide what isn't appropriate so it's not really a slippery slope.  One individual alone is unlikely to be offended by an avatar.

It was a random example for context. C'mon man.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

it wasn't a very good comparison.

Sorry to disappoint.  I'll try and raise the bar next time. Honestly,  no matter what I say I can't help but figure someone would find a way to pick it apart. I guess we'll go our separate ways and call it a day on this subject. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

How 'bout them Cowboys!!

That could be a close call too..but are kids allowed , or even know about the old game i grew up with "Cowboys and indians  "? Come to think of it , that  must drive SJW's  over the edge! The term.. the game .. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

If the people who respond to "Black Lives Matter" by saying "All Lives Matter" really believed that all lives matter, then they'd be outraged by the police brutality against black people.

If your house is burning down, you call the fire department and ask for help. Imagine if they responded with "all houses matter."

Normal person:

Happy Holidays!

Regressive crank:

IT’S A WAR ON CHRISTMAS

Normal person:

ALL HOLIDAYS MATTER

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

Curious, what does your idealist world look like? 

I'm not naive. I realize that perfection is not achievable, but constant improvement is, and I think we can do a whole lot better than we're currently doing. Do you really think society has reached the pinnacle - that this is the best we can be? That's awfully cynical.

Or is it just that racial issues don't directly impact you, so you don't see any need to change? Because that's worse than cynical - it's heartless.

45 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to tyranny

You think changing the name of the Redskins is a slippery slope to tyranny? I'd like to hear what your version of that world looks like.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

from Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/07/02/fedex-redskins-name-change/

In a one-sentence statement issued Thursday afternoon, Memphis-based FedEx said, “We have communicated to the team in Washington our request that they change the team name.”

Even without elaboration from the company, the statement signals a dramatic pivot by one of the Redskins’ more loyal, long-standing corporate backers — a Fortune 100 company that for more than two decades has tied its brand to that of the team.

The company’s request comes less than a week after a group of more than 85 investment firms and shareholders representing $620 billion in assets called on FedEx, Nike and PepsiCo to sever ties with the team unless Snyder changes its name.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

When I go to work I will look through database of trademark applications applied.

The good news is it will push sales of items.

The funny thing is it takes over a year to get a uniform change but this will become an exception.

Maybe I will spend a little money and camp on some trademarks forcing $nyder to pay me for them.