Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If they get rid of the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Indians, etc... then I'll buy your slippery slope argument.  Redskins is in a different category.

This Domino Theory people have is weird. I am not going to protect the Redskins name under the theoretical guise that they might come after the Blackhawks name next. I would rather die on the hill of defending the names of the Blackhawks, Chiefs, Indians, Warriors or Braves than on the Redskins. Defending the other names has nothing to do with defending the Redskins name.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Again,  its all subjective. What one finds compelling the next person may not. I think thats where the concern comes in with the cancel culture. How far does the envelope get pushed. And it all goes back to money. This has been a point of contention for quite some time, but due to the current climate,  some companies with a lot of leverage and influence are using their leverage to make things happen. 

I don't think many reasonable people would object to the idea that the word 'redskin' be subject to greater scrutiny. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think many reasonable people would object to the idea that the word 'redskin' be subject to greater scrutiny. 

Yeah....its a circular argument. What I said earlier, is that what is offensive changes with the years. Surely if the franchise started today they dont call it the Redskins.  Hell, the Washington Bullets had their name changed within the last few decades. 

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The slaves didn't find it acceptable.

Obviously.....but its was an acceptable practice by and large, otherwise it wouldn't have existed. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yeah....its a circular argument. What I said earlier, is that what is offensive changes with the years. Surely if the franchise started today they dont call it the Redskins.  Hell, the Washington Bullets had their name changed within the last few decades. 

I think there's value in appreciating the historical significance of certain institutions without demanding their legacies be trumpeted in the present.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I don't know the Bills are named for that historical person.  Your source of that trivia, please.  I have lived in WNY for more than 70 years, that  is news to me, a lifelong Bills fan.  I suspect you made that up, actually. (I was born before the original Bills which existed in the late 40's, name was readopted in 1960 when the AFL was formed)

Sure.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bills_(AAFC)

Not sure if anyone mentioned this in the thread yet, but they were actually originally called redskins because of the red clay that they painted their bodies with, not because of their actual skin color. Not sure how much of a difference this makes, as at some point it presumably took on the meaning we assume it has now.

Edited by billsgpr88

20 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Obviously.....but its was an acceptable practice by and large, otherwise it wouldn't have existed. 

It was acceptable to the oppressors but not to the oppressed. The same is true of the word "Redskin" - it doesn't matter whether white people find it offensive or not, it is and always has been a racial slur.

Slavery ended not because black people protested it, but because enough white people developed a conscience and saw it for what it was: racial oppression. The same goes for segregation. Minorities will never have enough power to change things on their own; they need allies in the majority, because the majority has the power.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Exactly,  but where the line is drawn is the tricky part. Say for instance I find your avatar offensive, should you be forced to change it? Its a slippery slope.

Mods decide what isn't appropriate so it's not really a slippery slope.  One individual alone is unlikely to be offended by an avatar.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I said earlier in this thread that Florida State will be next if this Redskins thing is allowed to succeed.

Redskins is by definition a derogatory term for native Americans. It’s going to be the first to go but you’re right, not that last. 

no matter which side of this specific one your are, there is no denying the FACT the American society continues to institutionalize new things that are considered offensive.

no one cared 15-20 years ago when liberal white comedians impersonated people that were not white.  Then it was innocent and funny.  Now it’s Racist and outrageous. 

Other than relatively anonymously here among fellow bills fans, I’ve ceased all social media activity.  There is no telling if you post or even like the wrong thing completely innocently, it might be offensive 10 years from now and get one fired or worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

I hope the Redskins do not change the name this year.  Do it next year or never do it.

"Cancel culture", rule by mob and the corporate pandering to it has to be stopped. 

Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to tyranny to whatever voices are loudest at the time.  Today you might agree with the loudest voice.  Tomorrow you may not.

Throughout history, appeasement never fixed anything.  It only encouraged the loudest voices to want more.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Redskins is by definition a derogatory term for native Americans. It’s going to be the first to go but you’re right, not that last. 

no matter which side of this specific one your are, there is no denying the FACT the American society continues to institutionalize new things that are considered offensive.

no one cared 15-20 years ago when liberal white comedians impersonated people that were not white.  Then it was innocent and funny.  Now it’s Racist and outrageous. 

Other than relatively anonymously here among fellow bills fans, I’ve ceased all social media activity.  There is no telling if you post or even like the wrong thing completely innocently, it might be offensive 10 years from now and get one fired or worse. 

It's an election year, don't let all this garbage fool you.