Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, I do 't know....for the tenth time in this thread, if you don't think the cancel culture is not going after other Indian themed teams, you haven't been paying attention the last month.

I'm not saying they will succeed but you can bet your ass those teams are in deck.

Watch the Blackhawks logo be under attack

by this time next week.

So because you think this will somehow spread to teams whose names shouldn't have to change they shouldn't change the name of a team that should?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

Again, I do 't know....for the tenth time in this thread, if you don't think the cancel culture is not going after other Indian themed teams, you haven't been paying attention the last month.

I'm not saying they will succeed but you can bet your ass those teams are in deck.

by this time next week.

The others in here don't understand what you are saying is absolutely true.

I said earlier in this thread that Florida State will be next if this Redskins thing is allowed to succeed.

Cancel culture has no clue that these nicknames have been driven with PRIDE over the years, not some mockery racial slang. 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So because you think this will somehow spread to teams whose names shouldn't have to change they shouldn't change the name of a team that should?

How about just leaving these names alone.

They have been good enough forever,  now all of a sudden they aren't?

Beyond stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

How bout maybe shutting down their sweatshops in China, Indonesia, Columbia, etc... while they're at it?  I'm all for changing the name but Nike being this progressive crusader is funny to me.

Yeah, Nike made a big deal about trying to get environmental regulations much more stringent in the US, so they got good press about it.  The thing is, they don't make any shoes in the US and they did it to hurt their competitors that do.  Mainly New Balance.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Beyond stupid.

No the Redskins isn't suddenly an offensive team name it has always been offensive.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Personally, no, I think it's dumb.

I hear the name Washington Redskins, and I don't think of a racial slur. I think of that name as a very cool sports team nickname that has years of history.

But, I'm obviously not everyone. If people are outraged over it and it gets changed, oh well. I'll still live to see tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The others in here don't understand what you are saying is absolutely true.

I said earlier in this thread that Florida State will be next if this Redskins thing is allowed to succeed.

Cancel culture has no clue that these nicknames have been driven with PRIDE over the years, not some mockery racial slang. 

Beyond stupid.

Imagine for a second the pride that some people feel in these names isn't the same emotion shared by everyone when they hear them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....quite the crock of crap.....self righteous beyond.....been following NFL football since 1962 and NEVER once did I associate "Redskins" to Native Americans nor twist it into something detrimental....but the overtly sensitive "politically correctness crowd" wants you undivided attention......are we this screwed up?....

Are you Native American?

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

by this time next week.

If they get rid of the Chiefs, Blackhawks, Indians, etc... then I'll buy your slippery slope argument.  Redskins is in a different category.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No the Redskins isn't suddenly an offensive team name it has always been offensive.

Whats considered offensive changes over time. It hasn't always been offensive. It's a constantly evolving meter. Slavery was an acceptable practice at one time. 

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imagine for a second the pride that some people feel in these names isn't the same emotion shared by everyone when they hear them. 

Exactly,  but where the line is drawn is the tricky part. Say for instance I find your avatar offensive, should you be forced to change it? Its a slippery slope.

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Exactly,  but where the line is drawn is the tricky part. Say for instance I find your avatar offensive, should you be forced to change it? Its a slippery slope.

If I find your reasons compelling I would probably change it.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

If I find your reasons compelling I would probably change it.

Again,  its all subjective. What one finds compelling the next person may not. I think thats where the concern comes in with the cancel culture. How far does the envelope get pushed. And it all goes back to money. This has been a point of contention for quite some time, but due to the current climate,  some companies with a lot of leverage and influence are using their leverage to make things happen. 

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

maybe he's a fish?

Or I identify as one.