Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

Just now, dwight in philly said:

i agree.. "Yankees"  a civil war term.. wonder if they would be willing to look into a name change? 

Who knows?

I mean, freaking Eskimo pies are changing their name.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Except this has nothing to do with sports......if we're being honest.

The reason they’re changing it obviously isn’t sports related. But it’s a sports team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I giess today's news that the Redskins are now considering a name change was from all those private citizen complaints and editorials and not from yesterday's threats!

What a coincidence, huh?

LOL

The point was there has been severe pressure for a very long time for that name change.  

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....quite the crock of crap.....self righteous beyond.....been following NFL football since 1962 and NEVER once did I associate "Redskins" to Native Americans nor twist it into something detrimental....but the overtly sensitive "politically correctness crowd" wants you undivided attention......are we this screwed up?....

Lol. Come on.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Beast said:

You don't understand what this cancel culture is getting their panties in a bunch about.

I suggest you get a clue if you think it's stopping with the Redskins.

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

Ralph Wilson rarely listened to what the  league wanted and you think Daniel Snyder will?

LMAO

Only when it comes to him losing money is when he will listen as has been demonstrated today.

When the came for Aunt Jemima, how bad of a day was that for you? And Uncle Ben...that had to hurt, right. 

Oh wait, I bet you won't eat rice anyway....

Where will it end??!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Daniel Snyder is a little worm and I bet he is scared of these cancel culture loons and will change the name.

Continue to take a stand Daniel and DON'T cave.

Does this 'cancel culture' you speak of also go by the name 'vote with your dollars'? 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Penfield45 said:

Snyder will do whatever the rest of the league tells him to do. If the other owners feel he needs to change the name he will do it. 

The name is really a marketing icon.  The money will talk, the NFL likely doesn't have the juice to force Snyder to act.  However, the dollars might, but then again a billionaire like Snyder might just retain the name as an in your face responce to pressure.  Or maybe move the team and start over elsewhere, no loss of face changing the name then.  Anybody know a city that would like an NFL franchise?  I can think of a few......not all in the USA.

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

I found this: Interesting. I think this name change would tie in with history and be an easy off the tongue football moniker "Washington Warriors"

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1528090-if-washington-redskins-must-change-team-name-whats-the-best-fit

great minds think alike, and so does yours and mine lol. we posted nearly simultaneously ?

Something like that seems most likely that way they don't have to change the entire theme of the team.

I'm still partial to Gators or Swamp Gators since it's in D.C.

59 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....quite the crock of crap.....self righteous beyond.....been following NFL football since 1962 and NEVER once did I associate "Redskins" to Native Americans nor twist it into something detrimental....but the overtly sensitive "politically correctness crowd" wants you undivided attention......are we this screwed up?....

The world is just going to get more and more confusing for you every day, old timer.  Not sorry.  Watching the emotionally frail caterwaul over the fact that society always has and always will continue to evolve and become more liberal is rapidly becoming one of my favorite hobbies now that there are no sports to watch.

Edited by Billl
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Does this 'cancel culture' you speak of also go by the name 'vote with your dollars'? 

Cancel culture is so vile and disgusting that they probably want to cancel puppies next.

5 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Cancel culture is so vile and disgusting that they probably want to cancel puppies next.

Interesting. What's your take on racism, which is what 'cancel culture' in this instance is being applied as a response?

15 hours ago, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

It's not about "Indian names."

It's about the derogatory term "Redskins" used for Native Americans.

I'm pretty sure it's the only Indian reference in the world of sports that creates this problem.

I've read and listened to several Native American speakers on the topic and the only nickname they were concerned with was "Redskins."