Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

If anyone thinks Snyder will go with the flow and name the team what other people want, they don't know Daniel Snyder.

If forced, Snyder will name the team what he he wants as it will be his legacy...and I'm willing to bet it will be something controversial.

How about the Washington Indians?

Don't even need a logo change.

Edited by Beast

I love the Redtails concept but regardless, happy to see it appears that my local team is finally changing their name.

Howard University just landed one of the best basketball recruits in the country too (assuming he’s actually goes to college). Pretty big day here sports wise. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

how far are we going with this stuff..George Washington and family owned slaves so should he no longer be considered as father of our country and or should we change the name of our nations capital ? not tot mention that Thomas Jefferson did as well

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

Well...Washington owned 100s of slaves. I can see them dropping Washington in their name.

Heck our beloved Buffalo Bills (ya know named after Buffalo Bill Cody) should be questioned in all this ruckus. In other words,, should the Bills change their name due to Buffalo Bill Cody’s racist behavior as a gesture of apology to all Native Americans and other U.S. citizens? After all, Buffalo Bill was an Indian (Native American) fighter, assisting in systematically committing genocide against the indigenous inhabitants....just sayin'!

NOW I personally don't believe we should but you can see the long slippery slope we get into. My only hope is that people at least be consistent with their "cancel culture" herd mentality and not cherry pick and choose.

I don't know the Bills are named for that historical person.  Your source of that trivia, please.  I have lived in WNY for more than 70 years, that  is news to me, a lifelong Bills fan.  I suspect you made that up, actually. (I was born before the original Bills which existed in the late 40's, name was readopted in 1960 when the AFL was formed)

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I love the Redtails concept but regardless, happy to see it appears that my local team is finally changing their name.

Howard University just landed one of the best basketball recruits in the country too (assuming he’s actually goes to college). Pretty big day here sports wise. 

Except this has nothing to do with sports......if we're being honest.

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

If anyone thinks Snyder will go with the flow and name the team what other people want, they don't know Daniel Snyder.

If forced, Snyder will name the team what he he wants as it will be his legacy...and I'm willing to bet it will be something controversial.

How about the Washington Indians?

Don't even need a logo change.

Snyder will do whatever the rest of the league tells him to do. If the other owners feel he needs to change the name he will do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

You demonstrate that you don't understand at all by comparing "Redskins" to Chiefs and Braves. Get a clue...

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Long overdue.

I grew up near and currently live in the D.C. metropolitan area and remember Native Americans protesting the name back when Cooke was still the owner.

I pay zero attention to those who oppose the name change.  You're wrong.  That's the end of it.

I've always thought that Washington Warriors had a nice ring to it.  Red Tails, as mentioned on page 1, is a great name too.

....quite the crock of crap.....self righteous beyond.....been following NFL football since 1962 and NEVER once did I associate "Redskins" to Native Americans nor twist it into something detrimental....but the overtly sensitive "politically correctness crowd" wants you undivided attention......are we this screwed up?....

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

You demonstrate that you don't understand at all by comparing "Redskins" to Chiefs and Braves. Get a clue...

You don't understand what this cancel culture is getting their panties in a bunch about.

I suggest you get a clue if you think it's stopping with the Redskins.

14 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Snyder will do whatever the rest of the league tells him to do. If the other owners feel he needs to change the name he will do it. 

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

Ralph Wilson rarely listened to what the  league wanted and you think Daniel Snyder will?

LMAO

Only when it comes to him losing money is when he will listen as has been demonstrated today.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

You don't understand what this cancel culture is getting their panties in a bunch about.

I suggest you get a clue if you think it's stopping with the Redskins.

i agree.. "Yankees"  a civil war term.. wonder if they would be willing to look into a name change? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I have no problem Universities and State and local Govt’s taking down confederate images as it should have happened a long time ago.  What shocks me is for awhile I lived in an Eastern suburb of Tampa, called Brandon who don’t know FL that well.  There is some private citizen as you exit I-4 to start south on I-75, the largest confederate flag I’ve ever seen and it’s repulsive.  It’s not far from the Floridians on the board by the State Fairgrounds.  I just can’t believe there is not some ordinance the city council etc. to force them to take it down.  It is on a flag pole hundreds of feet high, and larger than any of the American flags in the area.

Makes me sick and yes, I’m Caucasian.  It is just as offensive to me as people of color.  All colors.  Anyone with any decency should be just as repulsed by not thinking All Lives Matter!

All lives do matter, and absolutely nothing about Black Lives Matter challenges that.

• Like (+1) 1