Redskins facing severe pressure to change name.

Beast

4 hours ago, Beast said:

How bout maybe shutting down their sweatshops in China, Indonesia, Columbia, etc... while they're at it?  I'm all for changing the name but Nike being this progressive crusader is funny to me.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am good with the name change. I can see the rational and need to do so. Either way, Dan Snyder's team will suck.

On a less serious note with the name change, I request a time machine (aka DeLorean) be made available. We can go back to SuperBowl XXVI against the Washington ________ with all the knowledge of the plays and schemes they run to give us the win.

It is not like that can happen, right? Or, could it?

Signed, Bill Bellicheat 

what name would you give the team?

Well...Washington owned 100s of slaves. I can see them dropping Washington in their name.

Heck our beloved Buffalo Bills (ya know named after Buffalo Bill Cody) should be questioned in all this ruckus. In other words,, should the Bills change their name due to Buffalo Bill Cody’s racist behavior as a gesture of apology to all Native Americans and other U.S. citizens? After all, Buffalo Bill was an Indian (Native American) fighter, assisting in systematically committing genocide against the indigenous inhabitants....just sayin'!

NOW I personally don't believe we should but you can see the long slippery slope we get into. My only hope is that people at least be consistent with their "cancel culture" herd mentality and not cherry pick and choose.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

My only hope is that people at least be consistent with their "cancel culture" herd mentality and not cherry pick and choose.

So, if the Bills name was to be changed for this reason would you view that as consistent or cherry picking?

Ace man, I was thinking the same thing.  I’m sure most don’t even know how name came to existence.  It was the original Buffalo Bills of the 1940’s, and it was a naming contest.  Ralph being a student of history wanted to keep it the same when he became part of the foolish 8.  For the younger folks or casual fans, the 1940’s Bills was not part of the NFL (it was from 1946-49 in the All-America Football Conference) and George Halas blocked the team from rolling into the NFL as he thought from what I’ve read not a financially viable team.  He did though support the Browns, 49ers, And Baltimore Colts.  In 46, they were called the Buffalo Bisons, and before this league in 1940 they had another professional league, Buffalo’s team was called, get ready was the Buffalo Tigers/Indians.  The league folded with WW2.  What was interesting is back then the steel and other production plants were at their peak and Buffalo was a thriving blue collar town.

It is too bad as it would have been nice to have an NFL team since WW2 Like the other 3 in 1950.  Anyway, the Indians thing was not an issue back then and personally I understand there are segments of society who are offended by the name Redskins.  I’ve listened to American Indian chiefs like the Seminole Indians in North Florida who some say they want the name as it still means native Americans are relevant in this country.  Then for every group and persons who like the significance, there are just as many people who hate the name.

Bottom line is if Snyder hasn’t buckled at this point, the likelihood he will is low.  It doesn’t mean he’s right, just Id be surprised he changes the name.  This topic will come up for awhile, die down, and then then prop up again in a year or two.

58 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Well...Washington owned 100s of slaves. I can see them dropping Washington in their name.

Heck our beloved Buffalo Bills (ya know named after Buffalo Bill Cody) should be questioned in all this ruckus. In other words,, should the Bills change their name due to Buffalo Bill Cody’s racist behavior as a gesture of apology to all Native Americans and other U.S. citizens? After all, Buffalo Bill was an Indian (Native American) fighter, assisting in systematically committing genocide against the indigenous inhabitants....just sayin'!

NOW I personally don't believe we should but you can see the long slippery slope we get into. My only hope is that people at least be consistent with their "cancel culture" herd mentality and not cherry pick and choose.

Some Native Americans view the name as offensive as the "n" word is to black people.  This is in a different category as there has been calls to change the name since the early 90's.  Don't conflate it with the "cancel culture" of today.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

Chiefs and Braves are much different then Redskins

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Beast said:

https://wtop.com/washington-redskins/2020/07/fedex-asks-washington-redskins-to-change-name/

Also, Nike has just pulled all Redskins merchandise.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2898699-nike-appears-to-remove-all-washington-nfl-team-apparel-from-online-store

This will be interesting to see if Snyder caves in to the cancel culture.

Are the KC Chiefs next?

Atlanta Braves?

the list of Indian names goes on and on.

Whether names are inspired by native Americans doesn't have much to do with it. The current name refers directly to color of skin and is seen by native Americans as a disparaging reference. Chiefs and Braves not quite so much.

As for the news ... nothing has moved that front office in any way ... but now income is affected, in many ways. Expect change.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Madbillsfan said:

The same people who want to preserve their history also want others to get over theirs. 

Moving a statue into a museum and out of public spaces isn't asking people to get over their history. It's asking the government and the country to revere people who deserve some reverence rather than people who chose to fight for a truly abhorrent system.

I agree with anyone out there who thinks that political correctness has gone too far. But particularly in the case of the statues in state capitols and statues which were raised far after the Civil War and in many cases with specific racist agendas, I think people are right to call for them to be removed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

and you miss the point entirely once again. Those Native American-derived names are not viewed as offensive. The Redskins are. BTW, the Braves’ “tomahawk chop” chant was phased out for the exact same reason that Washington is facing calls to change their name, so do a least a modicum of research before starting a thread. I know your itching to get back into this but don’t go out of your way to make yourself look ignorant. The calls to change the franchise’s name were coming before “cancel culture” really even became a thing.

”Redskins” derives from the term used to describe bounties put on the scalps of slain Native Americans. If you think that’s okay, then okay. 

No, I didn’t miss the point “again”.

Just like I said, will they go after those other teams next? It was a question. Will the cancel culture go after other teams next?

If you think that question is dumb you have had your head buried under a rock.

Edited by Beast
  • Sad 1

Reminds me of the old joke about the NBA’s Washington Bullets.

At one time they considered changing their name because they wanted to avoid an association with gun violence.  So they were just going to be called The Bullets.

I have no problem Universities and State and local Govt’s taking down confederate images as it should have happened a long time ago.  What shocks me is for awhile I lived in an Eastern suburb of Tampa, called Brandon who don’t know FL that well.  There is some private citizen as you exit I-4 to start south on I-75, the largest confederate flag I’ve ever seen and it’s repulsive.  It’s not far from the Floridians on the board by the State Fairgrounds.  I just can’t believe there is not some ordinance the city council etc. to force them to take it down.  It is on a flag pole hundreds of feet high, and larger than any of the American flags in the area.

Makes me sick and yes, I’m Caucasian.  It is just as offensive to me as people of color.  All colors.  Anyone with any decency should be just as repulsed by not thinking All Lives Matter!

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, I didn’t miss the point “again”.

Just like I said, will they go after those other teams next? It was a question. Will the cancel culture go after other teams next?

If you think that question is dumb you have had your head buried under a rock.

Lol. Yes you did miss it again, “again.” You didn’t even address any of the things I mentioned. You’re willfully ignorant. Luckily for you, that’s pretty popular nowadays. Keep fear mongering though, I’m sure you’ll get at least a few converts with this crowd.

2 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Lol. Yes you did miss it again, “again.” You didn’t even address any of the things I mentioned. You’re willfully ignorant. Luckily for you, that’s pretty popular nowadays. Keep fear mongering though, I’m sure you’ll get at least a few converts with this crowd.

Reading comprehension. It’s a wonderful thing.

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean Chiefs and Braves aren't really all that offensive I mean you can say both those things and it's fine where as Redskins is a racial slur on it's own.

I'm just curious if caucasians were called white skins or pale face would there be as much an uproar.  Doesn't bother me, not sure why its an insult

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

.... I don't really need to have to spell out the difference between calling a team the Chiefs or the Braves vs. calling a team the Redskins, do I? ?‍♂️

Walk up to a native American and call him chief. See what happens.

• Like (+1) 2