NFL to play black National Anthem prior to Star Spangled banner

18 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I didn't want to personalize it, so I chose to make my point from a broader perspective.  I think the broader perspective is important because, whether or not we advocated for it, it reflects the country we live in.  I also think we should take that reality into account when evaluating the NFL's efforts to acknowledge the profound problems with the way black Americans have been treated in our democracy.  Seen from that perspective, I don't think playing the Black National Anthem once is much of a burden.

Thanks for the well thought out reply

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I didn't want to personalize it, so I chose to make my point from a broader perspective.  I think the broader perspective is important because, whether or not we advocated for it, it reflects the country we live in.  I also think we should take that reality into account when evaluating the NFL's efforts to acknowledge the profound problems with the way black Americans have been treated in our democracy.  Seen from that perspective, I don't think playing the Black National Anthem once is much of a burden.

I agree.  it’s a non-issue (although it ain’t gonna change anything).

We must unify

by having a national anthem for the white folks

and a black national anthem for the black folks.

We must be color blind

by seeing that racism is the cause of everything bad that happens to one group ... and ignoring the bad things that happen to another group

and seeing everything through the lens of race.

If you see this as a dichotomy, or as hypocritical, or as counter-productive, you're not woke.

Edited by Just in Atlanta
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Isn’t a “black” national anthem racist? Just imagine if we had a “white” national anthem. I will not stand if played at any game I attend. This creates division 

I'm so tired of this rationale. The Star Spangled banner was written in 1814 to celebrate the valor and courage of white men because women weren't allowed to fight or vote back then, black folks were slaves and most of the other colors in between who helped lay the groundwork of the melting pot that is America hadn't arrived yet. While it's expected to be a song for all Americans, it was not written from that perspective. It was written by a slave owner. Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, the black national anthem was written in the early 1900's in the midst of Jim Crow times. It's not like it was written last week or anything. What is so threatening about equality?

Edited by Eddiegoofball
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Does every race in America have a national anthem? I’m curious b/c this is the first time I’ve heard of a black one. 

Same hear and im black lol

25 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

A problem will arise when they start showing how people react to the song being played.

Will people at the stadium stand?  Will players?

What happens if someone respects one song, but not the other. I see fights over this.

Or the fans and the players could just stand for both witch would bring them together 

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

I doubt that they will sing the third verse, it's a little too............you know.....................(whispered voice) RELIGIOUS...........

God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
Shadowed beneath Thy hand
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Are you calling me the powers that be?  

I think you're confusing average white people with the people that actually run this world 

There are MILLIONS of white people in poverty with no wealth and no status who are struggling

The average white person does not hate black people, does not put them down, and does not keep them from moving forward

The average white person is fighting the same powers that be. We aren't making the laws 

BINGO!!!!! It's not a race thing, it's an economic thing. 95% of the population is in the same boat, but people want to color it so we fight against each other, instead of fighting against the true enemy.

• Like (+1) 2

I think a lot of the discussion is regarding the NFL playing the Black anthem along with the National anthem as the thread is titled. The link posted states this is going to occur only during ONE game, opening day.  Not to stifle the discussion but what is being discussed is likely moot after the first game.

30 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

BINGO!!!!! It's not a race thing, it's an economic thing. 95% of the population is in the same boat, but people want to color it so we fight against each other, instead of fighting against the true enemy.

I know the system is designed
To make an enemy of I and I
Cause all them want to do is divide
So their violence can justified
But I know that love is gonna conquer all the hate, ya know
It takes love and understanding for the people to grow
And if we learn to live in love, well
We can surely rise above, yes Jah
You know the people are waking up, yeah yeah

Movement a come and come
Said near and far, no matter where you are
You can feel this Movement. Movement Iya.
We chant a song for the people sing along
And we say Movement, together as one
Cause no matter where you are
Know where you come from
Rid the earth of separation
Cause this generation too strong for Babylon
Together as one
Iya Terra "Movement"

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

Of course when this song was written, with all the teary eyed omage to the free and brave, this did not include black people, who were not free, nor were they even considered human beings under our nation’s laws.  They should do away with playing it before games all together.  

By that same logic, we should do away with all things that came before the end of slavery.

16 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

America really isn't that special, relax 

don't forget "Marxist". its the new hot phrase they have been using. most of them can't even give a simple definition on the term actually. 

Im going to assume that you are an American, or legal resident. If you’re not, sorry. 

The basic and simple fact that you are allowed to have this opinion, and express it openly, is what makes America special.  Many European nations have laws restricting both the press, and speech. Canada has similar laws as well. 

America is that special, it might do you good to take your own advice, and relax. Rejoice that you live here, and be gracious for the gift that you have. 

For those who don't know, it's not "The Black National Anthem" in that, it is only intended for black people.  It's actually called "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and it's quite beautiful.

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" was publicly performed first as a poem as part of a celebration of Abraham Lincoln's birthday by Johnson's brother John. In 1919, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) dubbed it "the ***** national hymn"[2] for its power in voicing a cry for liberation and affirmation for African-American people. - wiki page

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Same hear and im black lol

Or the fans and the players could just stand for both witch would bring them together 

Is the NFL going to force people to stand?

We can't even agree what to do during one national anthem. Now there are two...

1 hour ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

By that same logic, we should do away with all things that came before the end of slavery.

Everything that came before July 2020 is tainted.

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Is the NFL going to force people to stand?

We can't even agree what to do during one national anthem. Now there are two...

It'll be one week and there pry won't even be fans in the stand at that point.  You know it's early July when a thread like this lasts 11 pages.