NFL to play black National Anthem prior to Star Spangled banner

1 hour ago, Beast said:

So, should there be a white NA played before hockey and baseball games since whites are dominant In those sports?

That might have been appropriate if whites had been enslaved for centuries, and then disenfranchised, lynched, subjected to Jim Crow, subjected to segregation, ghettoized, and discriminated against systematically for the next 150+ years.  It could also be argued that the National Anthem in a sense is kind of a white anthem, since it was written to celebrate a country ruled by whites at a time when slavery was completely legal.      

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Provide a link to this “black national anthem”, what this “black nation” is, how does one get citizenship for it, and a pathway for other “races” to have one as well and I’m all aboard. 

Follow the link in the initial post to hear the black national anthem.  The black nation (which is a figurative expression) is our fellow citizens of color. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Robert James said:

That might have been appropriate if whites had been enslaved for centuries, and then disenfranchised, lynched, subjected to Jim Crow, subjected to segregation, ghettoized, and discriminated against systematically for the next 150+ years.  It could also be argued that the National Anthem in a sense is kind of a white anthem, since it was written to celebrate a country ruled by whites at a time when slavery was completely legal.      

That tears it. We need a Jewish National Anthem!

There's a black National Anthem?  Learn something new every day.

Don't really care and if it makes the players happy (did they ask the players?) that's all fine, though it does seem like just more virtue signaling. 

29 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Agreed......I would probably either leave or take up arms to "make things right". Also, how did the slaves get here? They didn't willingly hop on those ships. What about the slave traders in Africa? When is their card gonna get pulled?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Muppy said:

I wrongly assumed this would be weekly and not only for opening day. That makes a huge difference for me personally I should have read the link and not presumed based off of the thread title. Thank you for the clarification.  Once is an acknowledgment, every week is a mandate Big Difference

I thought the same at first. I can see having a weekly competing anthem every week as being viewed as divisive. But playing the song one time to start the season is more of an acknowledgment, as you said. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Yeah, if you don't like politics in your sports then you don't want the National Anthem in them , right?

Does the National Anthem promotes the Republican or the Democratic Party ? 
if I don’t want politics in sports should I be kneeling  ? And how does wearing a face mask fits in to all this ?? 
politics are very confusing , 

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Follow the link in the initial post to hear the black national anthem.  The black nation (which is a figurative expression) is our fellow citizens of color. 

There is only one race

The human race

And division is why we will never get anywhere. That's a fact

Separating things into races and ethnicities is the absolute worst thing that can happen in this world

But I'm educated and I can see through all this division BS. I don't care if you're yellow brown black white or an orangutan

We are ALL part of the human race

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is only one race

The human race

Separating things into races and ethnicities is the absolute worst thing that can happen in this world

But I'm educated and I can see through all this division BS

Bingo.  This is probably the best argument as to why a Black National Anthem is counter-productive.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You should have to wear an American flag on your head to watch an NFL game.  If you disagree you are a traitor commie. 

You sir are a GREAT AMERICAN !!! 

tumblr_mxcl1p4AaX1spy7ono1_500.gif

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There is only one race

The human race

But I'm educated and I can see through all this division BS. I don't care if you're yellow brown black white or an orangutan

Now that's some racist $#!+... How dare you take attention away from the real matter at hand!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

The union abolished slavery , and hundreds of thousands of white people died to free the slaves

I don't think you can put the errors of the antebellum South, upon all the northern states in the Union, and all the men in the Union, white and black, who died for the cause

There were way more white people in the country who never owned slaves, then white slave owners. Which again is why making it a  race issue just sets things back

Because tons of white people died to free the slaves as well.. tons

We are all HUMAN

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

It’s about the enduring spirit of American freedom. The flag is a SYMBOL of that freedom. It’s not about war. 

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In fully glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Lyrics continue below

FEATURED VIDEO

Last.fm's Top Pop Tracks

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution!
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave. 

yes, it was written during wartime, a war being fought on newly found American soil. Invaded and defended again, with the blood and spirit of freedom and liberty. People should be taught to embrace this, the way we used to be taught, so that when the flag waves and the words are sung by 75,000 people, that spirit fills us all. That same spirit which allows for a place in the world where people can disagree, and not be persecuted for it.

But pandering to the Twitter Mob is easier because people will be appeased, but never satisfied. 

America really isn't that special, relax 

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

You should have to wear an American flag on your head to watch an NFL game.  If you disagree you are a traitor commie. 

don't forget "Marxist". its the new hot phrase they have been using. most of them can't even give a simple definition on the term actually. 

As a Jew I’d like to add this since we left Egypt as slaves thousands of years ago until today for my people it’s  been nothing but smooth sailing 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

As a Jew I’d like to add this since we left Egypt as slaves thousands of years ago until today for my people it’s  been nothing but smooth sailing 

Hebrews left Egypt! ?

Edited by Buffalo716

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hebrews left Egypt! ?

Then why the hell are my parents made me suffer for almost 2 weeks every year by eating this cardboard bread for Passover ?

Actually as a kid Passover was  the only ( Jewish) holiday that I really liked  !!!

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Putin said:

Then why the hell are my parents made me suffer for almost 2 weeks every year by eating this cardboard bread for Passover ?

Because God passed over the Hebrew people (who became Israelites, then Jewish) during the plague of the first born

Pharaoh losing his oldest son while realizing that all the Hebrews were passed over, led to his decision to let the Hebrew people go

Hence Passover because they were passed over by the plague of the first born!

Go bills!

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Because God passed over the Hebrew people (who became Israelites, then Jewish) during the plague of the first born

Pharaoh losing his oldest son while realizing that all the Hebrews were passed over, led to his decision to let the Hebrew people go

Hence Passover because they were passed over by the plague of the first born

So are you saying will be passed over by coronavirus as well  ?? ?

Edited by Putin