NFL to play black National Anthem prior to Star Spangled banner

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Takes two to tangle. Colored folks have been trying to bring to notice how inequitable this country has been for a long time...to deaf ears. A black national anthem is not going to further divide us, if we feel this movement is just. The encouraging part is there seems to be a lot more non-blacks protesting, including more white folk.

Stop saying “black”, “white” or “colored” and I’ll take you more seriously. We’re all humans first and Americans second. We all bleed red. 

29 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

It’s about the enduring spirit of American freedom. The flag is a SYMBOL of that freedom. It’s not about war. 

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In fully glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Lyrics continue below

FEATURED VIDEO

Last.fm's Top Pop Tracks

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution!
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave. 

yes, it was written during wartime, a war being fought on newly found American soil. Invaded and defended again, with the blood and spirit of freedom and liberty. People should be taught to embrace this, the way we used to be taught, so that when the flag waves and the words are sung by 75,000 people, that spirit fills us all. That same spirit which allows for a place in the world where people can disagree, and not be persecuted for it.

But pandering to the Twitter Mob is easier because people will be appeased, but never satisfied. 

I used to be taught that Christopher Columbus discovered "Merica.

https://secure.understandingprejudice.org/nativeiq/columbus.htm

"We shall take you and your wives and your children, and shall make slaves of them, and as such shall sell and dispose of them as their Highnesses may command; and we shall take away your goods, and shall do all the harm and damage that we can." [11]

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I just said we’re all Americans!!! (Most of us anyway...)

Ahh, it was a relatively weak pun based on the statement that we all bleed red. I agree with your sentiment.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

How many years ago?

seriously?   It's a continuous discussion, I remember as a kid a push for American the Beautiful.  That was the 70's , Tom Harkin made a effort in congress years ago.

8 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Stop saying “black”, “white” or “colored” and I’ll take you more seriously. We’re all humans first and Americans second. We all bleed red. 

And I care if you take me seriously based on that?! GTFOOH with that!

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

This is fine. Whatever.

But who asked for this?

Black Americans have every right to be mad about perceived injustices, just like every other American. But what does this nonsense solve? 

These national brands and their ridiculous token support should be routinely mocked. No one cares that McDonald’s changed the Hamburglar to look more like a white guy.

Its so dumb.

Two divided Americas continue to form and it's not surprising because the US has been on this road for decades.  People keep getting dragged into this maelstrom via the cancel culture intended to force compliance to an ideology.  

And Corporate America is right in the middle of it, knowing if they don't embrace certain movements, they'll be hurt financially.  Wall Street or in this case a private business like the NFL don't want to run this risk so they acquiesce in hopes of being spared from additional wrath.  It is basic human nature to want to be liked and many weak minded companies/people go that route even if it means giving up your principles and values.  That's what the NFL is doing as are many others.  

On the other end of the spectrum are the fans, many of whom do not believe what is being perpetuated in the media.  Question now is whether they'll end up leaving and reducing their time and financial investment in the NFL.  We saw that happen in the wake of things a few years ago when attendance was reduced as players kneeled for the National Anthem.  If that happens again, where does the NFL go?  They'll give into the mob, but risk losing a fair amount of fan support.  There's no real middle ground in this anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Takes two to tangle. Colored folks have been trying to bring to notice how inequitable this country has been for a long time...to deaf ears. A black national anthem is not going to further divide us, if we feel this movement is just. The encouraging part is there seems to be a lot more non-blacks protesting, including more white folk.

Correct. As I posted earlier, it’s not about a second song, it’s people being made to feel uncomfortable about their pen crappy ideologies.

I just had a similar conversation with a neighbor a week ago. She was upset that another neighbor, who is a POC, was racially profiled in our neighborhood. Others were of color cited being ID’d in their own driveway and yards by police. She was upset that “people were bringing this to her doorstep”. Well lady. The world exists, and whether you like it or not, this is life for your neighbors of color. By opening your door, these are the issues of the world. You can deal with them or keep your door closed and wait to die. 

People hate inconvenient truths. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Just to be clear, this song is just being played before week 1 games, not every game. 

I had not heard this song before, but just listened to it, and it is a very uplifting, positive song. 

I wrongly assumed this would be weekly and not only for opening day. That makes a huge difference for me personally I should have read the link and not presumed based off of the thread title. Thank you for the clarification.  Once is an acknowledgment, every week is a mandate Big Difference

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Correct. As I posted earlier, it’s not about a second song, it’s people being made to feel uncomfortable about their pen crappy ideologies.

I just had a similar conversation with a neighbor a week ago. She was upset that another neighbor, who is a POC, was racially profiled in our neighborhood. Others were of color cited being ID’d in their own driveway and yards by police. She was upset that “people were bringing this to her doorstep”. Well lady. The world exists, and whether you like it or not, this is life for your neighbors of color. By opening your door, these are the issues of the world. You can deal with them or keep your door closed and wait to die. 

A black national anthem by some faceless corporation does nothing to fix racial relations. The McDonald’s Twitter posting a black square does nothing.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

A black national anthem by some faceless corporation does nothing to fix racial relations. The McDonald’s Twitter posting a black square does nothing.

It may not “do anything” but they are the largest TV draw of the week, and they’re making a public display of which side they stand on. 

People don’t like their side, not their action in this. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

the national conversation in the wake of George Floyd and all the aftermath I Think has woken a whole lot more peoples minds and hearts to racial inequality and racism than a kneeling Colin Kaepernick ever did. Meaningful changes are being made.to law enforcement practices for one thing. It's a start,  I'm sorry it took seeing that awful death to awaken consciousness to the extent I believe it has. Much more work to be done one person at a time meaning it begins with ME and hopefully make a discernable real difference. The anthem issue may involve at some point creating a new one? Maybe?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Muppy said:

the national conversation in the wake of George Floyd and all the aftermath I Think has woken a whole lot more peoples minds and hearts to racial inequality and racism than a kneeling Colin Kaepernick ever did. Meaningful changes are being made.to law enforcement practices for one thing. It's a start,  I'm sorry it took seeing that awful death to awaken consciousness to the extent I believe it has. Much more work to be done one person at a time meaning it begins with ME and hopefully make a discernable real difference. The anthem issue may involve at some point creating a new one? Maybe?

Reading this was AWESOME! Thanks, for posting.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Nah. The one we all have is really good.

8 minutes ago, Muppy said:

As mentioned above, America The Beautiful is a much easier and superior song. The anthem should, IMO, be race neutral as we should all be seen as equal. We need to work on making that a full reality.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

We’re all humans first and Americans second. We all bleed red. 

If it were only this simple, then we wouldn’t be in the position we are in now. For this to be true, people have to actually believe it. Unfortunately, there are still a good number of people that view POC as lesser. Therein lies the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1