NFL to play black National Anthem prior to Star Spangled banner

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

(it's not an official national anthem, some just call it that)

the national anthem is, in part,  about war, for years many have thought it was the wrong song to be our Anthem.

Many?

LOL

8 minutes ago, klos63 said:

the national anthem is, in part,  about war, for years many have thought it was the wrong song to be our Anthem.

It’s about the enduring spirit of American freedom. The flag is a SYMBOL of that freedom. It’s not about war. 

Oh, say, can you see? By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming;
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air.
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there:
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In fully glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Lyrics continue below

FEATURED VIDEO

Last.fm's Top Pop Tracks

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution!
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Oh, thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust":
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave. 

yes, it was written during wartime, a war being fought on newly found American soil. Invaded and defended again, with the blood and spirit of freedom and liberty. People should be taught to embrace this, the way we used to be taught, so that when the flag waves and the words are sung by 75,000 people, that spirit fills us all. That same spirit which allows for a place in the world where people can disagree, and not be persecuted for it.

But pandering to the Twitter Mob is easier because people will be appeased, but never satisfied. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think there should be one national anthem representing all americans. I am sad that black americans feel so disenfranchised that they must be represented by their own anthem further dividing us rather than working towards a more equitable just America for us all as a colorblind people called Americans....Thats my take. I'd rather there be NO anthem played than 2...horrible idea. Not a fan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think this should be boiled down to the nuance of what’s happening. People are upset that the NFL is finally saying that there are systemic racial injustices in this country and some don’t like that they are disagreeing with their POV so publicly. 

Call it what it is. This isn’t about a song. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I think there should be one national anthem representing all americans. I am sad that black americans feel so disenfranchised that they must be represented by their own anthem further dividing us rather than working towards a more equitable just America for us all as a colorblind people called Americans....Thats my take. I'd rather there be NO anthem played than 2...horrible idea. Not a fan.

What do you think of "God Bless America" sung before games?

31 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Idiotic. The implication this creates is that the national anthem is the white anthem all because a subpar QB decided to kneel. 

If it was only about Kaepernick ...But it's not. Donny Boy Trump made it more of a national issue than it ever was, and for that I thank his dumb ass. Someone with Donny Boy's make-up(and I don't mean his orange glow), calling players who kneel "sons a *****' and 'fire them' is rich. Like you said, he's a subpar QB, but Donny Boy gave Kaepernick and his story more legs to run on than he could have imagined.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I think this should be boiled down to the nuance of what’s happening. People are upset that the NFL is finally saying that there are systemic racial injustices in this country and some don’t like that they are disagreeing with their POV so publicly. 

Call it what it is. This isn’t about a song. 

I agree in premise to what you are saying but adding a black anthem Makes it about a song...saying the existing song doesn't represent them hence needing their own. The root cause isnt the song but adding one puts the onus ON the song vs making necessary changes so we can be united as Americans under One anthem. The idea of a second anthem  makes me sad. If they do add this I'd stand for both but it still makes me feel divided not United. Which may be their point but will it help institute change? 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's all rise up together and ...................................................... 

B word and complain about the country we live in, where we can post freely on a message board using high speed wifi,  in a house with AC, running water and heat. If these things aren't available to you, there are subsidies that will help you.........but somehow there is a problem with the National Anthem.  ? off.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What do you think of "God Bless America" sung before games?

I wouldn't object to that but many athiests would hence I doubt that'd fly.

56 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Idiotic. The implication this creates is that the national anthem is the white anthem all because a subpar QB decided to kneel. 

That's not really an implication. It's pretty much historically accurate. Black people didn't have rights as citizens when the national anthem was written, and there's an unsung verse that threatens black people with death who fought for their freedom against slavery. 

Black people had 0 input into what the national anthem should be, and it was only enacted as the national anthem by executive order of a KKK admiring democratic president.

Playing the song in question, which is deeply spiritual and far more Christian than Francis Scott Keys tune is no different than singing God Bless America before a game...

The third verse is very poignant:

God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee
Lest, our hearts drunk with the wine of the world, we forget Thee
Shadowed beneath Thy hand
May we forever stand
True to our God
True to our native land

Edited by Motorin'

7 minutes ago, Muppy said:

Takes two to tangle. Colored folks have been trying to bring to notice how inequitable this country has been for a long time...to deaf ears. A black national anthem is not going to further divide us, if we feel this movement is just. The encouraging part is there seems to be a lot more non-blacks protesting, including more white folk.