NFL to play black National Anthem prior to Star Spangled banner

33 minutes ago, Logic said:

By....by playing the Black National Anthem?

Huh. 

I'll never understand the things that upset some people.

Where else is the Black National Anthem played?  I personally have never heard of it, but that could just mean that I've never heard of it.  I am pretty sure it was never played in NFL games in the past, nor is it played at MLB, NHL, and NBA games.

So between the BNA and players kneeling through the traditional NA, that will turn a lot of people off.  Stadium attendance dropped off significantly in several stadiums a few years ago when Kapernick started kneeling through the NA.  I would believe it would be no different this time around.  Most people want some tradition, which has made the NFL what it is now.  If anything, don't play any anthem before the games and that will solve a lot of potential problems and controversies.

6 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

I like the Biggie idea. If Kendrick or Danny Brown dropped a verse or 2, I’d definitely be onboard. Produced by Dre, of course. Otherwise, I’ve never heard of such an eff’ing, divisional, racist idea. I’d rather have them completely drop the National Anthem rather than play 2. 

I'm down with it as long as they have a chorus of 50-100, all in their robes, singing and dancing along. That's always cool.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I see alot of comments very upset and saying they're done with the NFL. Is this further dividing things? 

I personally don't have a big issue with it but I don't like politics in my sports.

Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/-nfl-to-play-black-national-anthem-before-the-star-spangled-banner-at-week-1-games-211305337.html

It seems completely appropriate to me.  People across the country are collectively recognizing the centuries-old problem of racial inequity and taking actions to address it. Seventy percent of NFL players are black.  Playing the black national anthem before the first game of this NFL season is a fitting way to acknowledge the problem.  And advocating for greater equality is completely patriotic.

• Sad 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Robert James said:

It seems completely appropriate to me.  People across the country are collectively recognizing the centuries-old problem of racial inequity and taking actions to address it. Seventy percent of NFL players are black.  Playing the black national anthem before the first game of this NFL season is a fitting way to acknowledge the problem.  And advocating for greater equality is completely patriotic.

So, should there be a white NA played before hockey and baseball games since whites are dominant In those sports?

1 hour ago, Just Jack said:

Can I kneel while they play it?

And does it really matter if no fans are in the stands?

If people get offended by you kneeling for "Lift Every Voice and Sing," (also known as the black national anthem), it will be the second time in the history of mankind that people became offended by kneeling.

5 minutes ago, Beast said:

So, should there be a white NA played before hockey and baseball games since whites are dominant In those sports?

national anthems shouldn't even be played before sporting events unless they are international teams playing each other. its the dumbest thing ever and a massive waste of time. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Provide a link to this “black national anthem”, what this “black nation” is, how does one get citizenship for it, and a pathway for other “races” to have one as well and I’m all aboard. 

23 minutes ago, Happy said:

Where else is the Black National Anthem played?  I personally have never heard of it, but that could just mean that I've never heard of it.  I am pretty sure it was never played in NFL games in the past, nor is it played at MLB, NHL, and NBA games.

So between the BNA and players kneeling through the traditional NA, that will turn a lot of people off.  Stadium attendance dropped off significantly in several stadiums a few years ago when Kapernick started kneeling through the NA.  I would believe it would be no different this time around.  Most people want some tradition, which has made the NFL what it is now.  If anything, don't play any anthem before the games and that will solve a lot of potential problems and controversies.

I totally agree, I'll bet some stadium will be totally empty this season.

Edited by klos63
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

Provide a link to this “black national anthem”, what this “black nation” is, how does one get citizenship for it, and a pathway for other “races” to have one as well and I’m all aboard. 

I don’t care, I purposely start the game 45 minutes late so I can fast forward through commercials and all that stuff anyways. 
Sing whatever you want,  I just wanna see the game with no commercials and no other BS. I don’t even watch the halftime show I go to red zone channel. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pandering at its finest. Classic Goodell. 

Remember how players were getting fined for wearing different colored sweat bands for various Cancer causes? Now we get the rainbow ribbon instead of just pink. The players should be allowed to voice their displeasure with whatever they choose, however they choose. Especially when they are raising money for a cause. 

This is the kind of thing that draws even greater divisions between people. 

The National Anthem should unify us, and serve as a reminder of all the things that make this country a true blessing. But that’s not possible, not for Roger. 

Edited by RobbRiddicksTDLeap
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

(it's not an official national anthem, some just call it that)

Just now, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

Pandering at its finest. Classic Goodell. 

Remember how players were getting fined for wearing different colored sweat bands for various Cancer causes? Now we get the rainbow ribbon instead of just pink. 

This is the kind of thing that draws even greater divisions between people.

The National Anthem should unify us, and serve as a reminder of all the things that make this country a true blessing. But that’s not possible, not for Roger. 

the national anthem is, in part,  about war, for years many have thought it was the wrong song to be our Anthem.