Josh Allen and the Deep Ball - Roundtable Discussion

On 7/2/2020 at 3:42 PM, mjt328 said:

Talk.  Talk.  Talk.

Three years ago, the critics were saying that Josh Allen would be a total bust in the NFL.  The Bills should have drafted Josh Rosen instead.

While inconsistent, Allen showed lots of promise as a rookie.  At times, he totally took over games with his legs (Minnesota, Miami), while showing incredible leadership and a knack for making big plays late in games.  Rosen was the one who was a complete disaster.

So last offseason, the experts did everything to downplay what Allen was doing well.  Who cares about his athletic ability, his arm or his leadership?  The focus quickly shifted to what he was doing poorly, specifically his struggles with pocket presence and mid/short-range accuracy.  They said he would always be a gunslinger, who would struggle with these kinds of throws.  Allen responded by putting in work, and vastly improving in both of these areas.  

So now the goalpost has moved again.  Now Allen will NEVER SUCCEED unless he improves his deep ball.  

I guess we'll see...  But I seem to recall that Allen began hitting more and more of these passes in the final quarter of the season.  Specifically in the New England game.

Why not Lamar Jackson and Greg Roman?

18 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

How many drops have occurred on the long balls?  I'm guessing at least 10 over the last two years.  Then you have Robert Foster who was clueless two years ago, but he was the "long ball" guy.  I think Josh is fine and will get better with better receivers.

Cmon man. I like Josh a lot but drops were not the issue with his long ball last year. He was missing guys by 5 or more yards routinely.  None of us are smart enough to know what the issue is. And almost certainly it is not one thing.  Josh made great progress in making decisions and the short to intermediate throws.  Diggs will help but so will better play at RT.  Honestly I don't care if his long ball game gets any better.  Just get his comp percentage over 60% and cut the fumbles in half.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Cmon man. I like Josh a lot but drops were not the issue with his long ball last year. He was missing guys by 5 or more yards routinely.  None of us are smart enough to know what the issue is. And almost certainly it is not one thing.  Josh made great progress in making decisions and the short to intermediate throws.  Diggs will help but so will better play at RT.  Honestly I don't care if his long ball game gets any better.  Just get his comp percentage over 60% and cut the fumbles in half.  

I actually felt that Allen’s best deep ball of the season was on the first play of the Cleveland game; unfortunately Denzel Ward realized that Foster got behind him and took a smart DPI, otherwise that was a 75-yard TD.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I actually felt that Allen’s best deep ball of the season was on the first play of the Cleveland game; unfortunately Denzel Ward realized that Foster got behind him and took a smart DPI, otherwise that was a 75-yard TD.

Interesting.  I should go back and find it.  There are nice benefits to taking these shots even when you are struggling to connect on them.  

The plays are there to make and when they start hitting on them the offense will look much different.  400+ points.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I disagree with all the hand-wringing over JA's long ball.

Since this another thread about Allen bashing, I’ll just repeat Chris Mortensen’s comments the Allen bashing has become comical.  These talking heads basically already have made up their minds and they cherry pick information to suit their preconceived ideas.

Allen has improved from year 1 to 2, and he should improve even more in year 3.  Now that he has Diggs, and Moss added to the existing tools, he probably will hit that 65% completion rate.  There is some truth to earlier posts that Allen May have been overly coached to be safe, and thus a likely reason why he was axing a little like Taylor who won’t throw to a guy unless he is absolutely open, thus overthrowing to make sure he’s not picked off.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

There is some truth to earlier posts that Allen May have been overly coached to be safe, and thus a likely reason why he was axing a little like Taylor who won’t throw to a guy unless he is absolutely open, thus overthrowing to make sure he’s not picked off.

This^^^

McDermott's game philosophy is to play just enough offense to let the defense win the game.  He would rather send the punting unit out than risk a turnover.  If you look at Josh year 1 to year 2, his deep ball got worse, and I can only guess he was coached to throw ahead of coverage to avoid the INT at all costs.

He wont have that issue with Diggs because Diggs is elite at snagging balls in coverage.  I think hes in the top 3 WRs for snagging contested balls.  I think we are going to see Josh throw much tighter to Diggs and I would be surprised if his completion rate doesn't improve past 60% and more.

Of course then there will be some other reason he was the wrong pick ... until we win the AFCE.

15 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

This^^^

McDermott's game philosophy is to play just enough offense to let the defense win the game.  He would rather send the punting unit out than risk a turnover.  If you look at Josh year 1 to year 2, his deep ball got worse, and I can only guess he was coached to throw ahead of coverage to avoid the INT at all costs.

He wont have that issue with Diggs because Diggs is elite at snagging balls in coverage.  I think hes in the top 3 WRs for snagging contested balls.  I think we are going to see Josh throw much tighter to Diggs and I would be surprised if his completion rate doesn't improve past 60% and more.

Of course then there will be some other reason he was the wrong pick ... until we win the AFCE.

when you coach a QB like that you are already failing him.