Josh Allen and the Deep Ball - Roundtable Discussion

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Point is, Blake is speaking from a position of authority about how it takes more than an arm, and you need to be accurate.

To do what, Jeff? You had “the best” deep ball ever, and what did it get you? 2 above average seasons out of 9. I’m not sure he should speak so strongly.

He was only referring to the deep ball accuracy NOT about everything that goes into being a QB. What he did in his career as a QB has nothing to do with his ability to give his opinion about the one thing he did well in his career.

Just so no one is confused my point of the article was to mention how other people see Josh Allen deep ball and if it can be corrected.

I am probably the biggest Josh Allen supporter on this fourm. Check my YouTube comment history if you could(Mastenpark). I personally feel like he will get it fixed along with other things this year. I also feel like it's a little overblown and and some people have these negative opinions regarding him and really haven't watch him play or know his complete story. 

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Talk.  Talk.  Talk.

Three years ago, the critics were saying that Josh Allen would be a total bust in the NFL.  The Bills should have drafted Josh Rosen instead.

While inconsistent, Allen showed lots of promise as a rookie.  At times, he totally took over games with his legs (Minnesota, Miami), while showing incredible leadership and a knack for making big plays late in games.  Rosen was the one who was a complete disaster.

So last offseason, the experts did everything to downplay what Allen was doing well.  Who cares about his athletic ability, his arm or his leadership?  The focus quickly shifted to what he was doing poorly, specifically his struggles with pocket presence and mid/short-range accuracy.  They said he would always be a gunslinger, who would struggle with these kinds of throws.  Allen responded by putting in work, and vastly improving in both of these areas.  

So now the goalpost has moved again.  Now Allen will NEVER SUCCEED unless he improves his deep ball.  

I guess we'll see...  But I seem to recall that Allen began hitting more and more of these passes in the final quarter of the season.  Specifically in the New England game.

Thanks.  

Allen is a player who is improving.  When he stops improving I will be more interested in discussions like this article provides.

Everyone talks about him as though he's a finished product. He isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

His deep passes were almost always overthrows, which is something I lay squarely at the feet of McDermott. It was such a stark contrast to how he threw them in his rookie year that there's no way it was a coincidence and I'd bet anything he was instructed to minimize the chances of an interception by his ultra conservative coach. McDermott really needs to take the training wheels off this season and figure out if Allen really is the guy for everyone's sake, including his own.

If there was a game where this happened it was likely the first Patriots game last season, Allen put several up and the wrong guy ended up winning the battle.

100 percent of what was said is old news, by a bunch of guys who very likely never once watched a full bills game in the last twenty years, frankly they offer nothing useful in their combined analysis. I’m gonna go get a beer ? and watch the boat traffic going past the Navel shipyard in here in Norfolk... 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

He was only referring to the deep ball accuracy NOT about everything that goes into being a QB. What he did in his career as a QB has nothing to do with his ability to give his opinion about the one thing he did well in his career.

I guess where I’m going with this is I wouldn’t want to take technique advice from a guy that was inaccurate in the most critical range(s) of field depth. The worst thing that could happen for Allen would be to improve his deep ball at the expense of his mid-range accuracy.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Nailed it Hondo.  I was thinking the same thing.  It’s almost not on his own like Tyrod, but so concerned not having a pick, they probably rattled him, and then he tries to play hero ball in other ways.  If the coaches believe in him, then let him do his thing and reassure him not to worry about it, and let his talent do their thing.

A lot of what I saw last year was the former, and relying on him and the RB’s including McKenzie (I know he’s a WR, but he ran some end around gadget runs kind of like JB) to win games, and thus 19 pts. Per game, vs. taking some chances.  If he was set loose throwing for 3300 yards maybe with an extra pick or two, but also a strong running game (a business decision - sorry I love that in Moss) will result in a very good offense.  Maybe not the best, but a top 3-5 defense, and let’s say top 13-14 offense.  That’s not inconceivable at all.

Thanks MGK.  You and I are aligned.  Let Allen loose.  Encourage him to take more chances. 

With Moss and Motor, the Bills should - hopefully - be able to run both inside and out.  And if Allen is throwing deep effectively, even with a few extra picks, defenses will be forced to defend the entire field horizontally and vertically.  Few defenses can do that well.  

• Like (+1) 2

Look at Tom Brady in his first couple years. He wasn't throwing the deep ball. Why? Because he wasn't good at it. He worked on it and obviously got better at it. Throwing the deep ball is not something that a quarterback cannot get better at. Josh will put in the work. He's proven he's willing to work. As Josh Allen has clearly shown, it takes more than the deep ball to be an effective NFL quarterback. Adding the deep ball to his game will make him a better one. I see it happening. If there is a season.

48 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I guess where I’m going with this is I wouldn’t want to take technique advice from a guy that was inaccurate in the most critical range(s) of field depth. The worst thing that could happen for Allen would be to improve his deep ball at the expense of his mid-range accuracy.

I will just say the skills for a great deal ball are a little different than the intermediate,  and definitely the short passes. I said I would give Blake 5mins like he said. I would not give him a month.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If I were Allen, I wouldn’t waste 5 minutes listening to a guy that crested 3,000 yards twice in 9 seasons as a starter and had a career completion percentage of 56.4.

He should probably never work with Jordan Palmer again by this standard.

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

So last offseason, the experts did everything to downplay what Allen was doing well.  Who cares about his athletic ability, his arm or his leadership?  The focus quickly shifted to what he was doing poorly, specifically his struggles with pocket presence and mid/short-range accuracy.  They said he would always be a gunslinger, who would struggle with these kinds of throws.  Allen responded by putting in work, and vastly improving in both of these areas.  

Agreed.   Josh Allen had the best completion percentage of 75% in 10-20yard throws.     Kelly was a master of the same range and never had the long throws like Josh.

13 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Point is, Blake is speaking from a position of authority about how it takes more than an arm, and you need to be accurate.

To do what, Jeff? You had “the best” deep ball ever, and what did it get you? 2 above average seasons out of 9. I’m not sure he should speak so strongly.

Yeah, all the greatest coaches were terrific pro players.

8 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He should probably never work with Jordan Palmer again by this standard.

Palmer has actually coached. Has Blake?

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, all the greatest coaches were terrific pro players.

The point is: who is Blake to be talking about what factors limit the effectiveness of an NFL passer when he was basically a one-trick pony?

But apparently I’ve offended some Jeff Blake fans so I’ll apologize and move on.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

But apparently I’ve offended some Jeff Blake fans so I’ll apologize and move on.

Eff that.  Keep going, man!  I agree with everything you're saying.

Thurmon, I know you were just being sarcastic, and funny as Movin the Chains just mentioned I think two days ago, they compared all of the HOF players who became coaches and their winning record was I think 48-49%. including guys like Singletary, Flores, Dinka, and so on. It was in Reference to Ron Woodson feeling put off he’s not getting stronger consideration for a head coaching position.  It’s true most of the best coaches we have seen were not superstar NFL players.