NFL may have fans sign a waiver to attend games

So basically the NFL thinks it can assuage its collective conscience with a waiver to justify promoting mass gatherings during a pandemic.  You can assume with reasonable certainty that there will be multiple people in attendance at each game who are infected and that in addition to spreading it to others in attendance there will be community spread to those not in attendance and that some of those people will die.  You can also assume with reasonable certainty that these people will end up in local ER's putting further strain on resources and putting health care providers at increased risk... all in the name of entertainment and to make sure 32 million/billionaires can make a few more dollars. Sounds like a well thought out plan...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Are you a nets fan?

Since the Dr J day ABA days.

52 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's why:

WIt6cpY.jpg

a9uat0i.jpg

454a0t2.jpg

Compared to our disaster:

DdFrsTk.jpg

And that's with the same increased testing.

Forget any of the media nonsense and look at the numbers and trends. Everyone who behaved and sucked it up and followed some EASY rules for a couple months are getting their lives back. Even Italy got their act together. They're playing Rugby in New Zealand, and Baseball in South Korea too.

But not us. Because "we need our haircuts" or "muh freedom" or something. We dont deserve to have our Football back.

Don't bring facts here it ruins agenda's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The logistics of this are monumental and before you tear it down, think about it from a legal perspective. Would signatures have to be verified? and against what? on what? by whom? how many extra layers will this create? Where is @WEO?

NY General Obligations Law 5-326:

Every covenant, agreement or understanding in or in connection with, or collateral to, any contract, membership application, ticket of admission or similar writing, entered into between the owner or operator of any pool, gymnasium, place of amusement or recreation, or similar establishment and the user of such facilities, pursuant to which such owner or operator receives a fee or other compensation for the use of such facilities, which exempts the said owner or operator from liability for damages caused by or resulting from the negligence of the owner, operator or person in charge of such establishment, or their agents, servants or employees, shall be deemed to be void as against public policy and wholly unenforceable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

This is the move.  I’m all for waivers in this environment for those of us who want to live our lives.  

I’m also all for mask requirements indoors, practicing social distancing and making sure we, as a country, protect the vulnerable/those close to the vulnerable financially by taking measures allowing them to stay afloat while staying home.

What I’m completely done with is this takeover of our lives and so many willingly cheerleading it due to political affiliation and ulterior motives.  

With more young people getting COVID, soon enough, the death rate will be similar to a flu season.  There’s no vaccine yet, which is why precautions are needed - masks, waivers, economic help and distancing.  

Believe it or not, one can hold both views that the government has officially overreached, especially in places like NY, and people who fight masks/distancing are hurting us all.  

Waivers... Yes, please.. Where do I sign?

The legal problem here, is although you can sign for yourself, you cannot sign on behalf of your kids, maybe your wife.  So, the NFL can still be in court and loose.  Wavers of this sort are a futile effort w big lawyers on both sides getting paid.

1 minute ago, Mickey said:

NY General Obligations Law 5-326:

Every covenant, agreement or understanding in or in connection with, or collateral to, any contract, membership application, ticket of admission or similar writing, entered into between the owner or operator of any pool, gymnasium, place of amusement or recreation, or similar establishment and the user of such facilities, pursuant to which such owner or operator receives a fee or other compensation for the use of such facilities, which exempts the said owner or operator from liability for damages caused by or resulting from the negligence of the owner, operator or person in charge of such establishment, or their agents, servants or employees, shall be deemed to be void as against public policy and wholly unenforceable.

That's a lot of fancy talk, and I'm an idiot, but I believe that says the waivers would be meaningless. Yes?

I'm sure the NFL knows that too.

To go back to the original article in the first post of the thread, it just says the "NFL is considering". Which means nothing. It means it was brought up once in a brainstorming session and that's as far as it went because the league knows better.

Waivers aint gonna happen.

Folks need to get on board with doing what it takes to squelch our outbreak. There is no political or legal way around the virus. Only science.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

Yes, like my parents not dying. I will not apologize for my motive.

I am glad that the waivers (at least currently) wont matter for NY as neither you or any other fan should have the right to sign away liability for the risk you would pose to my family after you go tailgate on Sunday, then show up hungover at Wegmans on Monday with your mask around your chin.

I wouldn't trust 80% of the population to babysit a garden gnome, let alone make intelligent, properly informed and non-selfish decisions. I hear the cries of 'but my freedom!' and all that translates to me is toddlers throwing temper tantrums.

It’s funny you say that as I left the gym this morning, and all employees have to wear masks as it is FL, and in every other indoor place we finally have to wear masks.  Now in our gym they require the six feet and because of the size don’t have to wear masks.  Kind of dumb.  I’ve said this before, but they threatened us to lose our membership if we don’t clean and post machine.  I see everyday, almost always a young person completely disregarding these guidelines and shocker, people sweat a lot more ina gym than in a grocery store.

My point is the govt. is trying to save us from ourselves as so many people are just blowing off things that keep us safe.  If I knew everyone, and I mean everyone had to wear a mask and gloves and maintained six feet apart which is physically impossible in the ramps, bathrooms, concessions, I wouldn’t care if others wanted to go to the stadium.  That still doesn’t protect everyone and this poster makes a good point, it’s not you waiving you’re ability to sue, it’s what you take home and infect others.

Its crazy to put any large group together like a football stadium, even at 30% attendance or whatever.  We are finally opening up movie theaters, but only at 30% at the end of the month strictly every other seat and every other row, no $, only debt or credit cards, and severe limitations on concessions.  We have to watch a movie in a mask, and that seems like it could work to give people some outlet from their home.  I would imagine it’s the same in Buffalo or other cities, but the seats for theaters are all recliners and farther away from each other and with every other seat and row, and I guess they are spacing out shows for additional cleaning time.  I think AMC is just trying desperately not to file for bankruptcy as they are losing $ hand over fist.

Guys, this new normal sucks, but it’s not just about yourself, but everyone else you can infect.  That’s not conspiracy syndrome, it’s reality and just look to my state (FL) that opened too quickly and the skyrocketed cases especially 25-34 ages.  As I’ve said before, no waiver trumps a State Governor.  They will make the call no matter how much anyone complains.  It may suck, but NYS has shown a rapid decline in cases as they were more strict than many states like mine.  I was listening to Fauci this morning on NFLR, and he doesn’t even know, but speculates cases will rise in the fall.

Working in medicine, I expected the heat would help, but it’s not.  Most viruses die off that are airborne in heat, but not this one.  I’m actually giving blood this week just to find out if I tested positive and have the antibodies, will give me peace of mind, not to mention, people need blood for those that are sick.  I want to help those in need.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Westside Madness said:

Yes, like my parents not dying. I will not apologize for my motive.

I am glad that the waivers (at least currently) wont matter for NY as neither you or any other fan should have the right to sign away liability for the risk you would pose to my family after you go tailgate on Sunday, then show up hungover at Wegmans on Monday with your mask around your chin.

I wouldn't trust 80% of the population to babysit a garden gnome, let alone make intelligent, properly informed and non-selfish decisions. I hear the cries of 'but my freedom!' and all that translates to me is toddlers throwing temper tantrums.

I’ve had to take my shoes off at the airport for the last 20 years because of one dipsh**’s failed dipsh** terror attempt. Yet we can’t all get together on mitigating the spread of disease. Because reasons, and freedom, and such as, and the like. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Since the Dr J day ABA days.

nice.  I miss the Kenny Anderson/Drazen Petrovic backcourt.  They were fun to watch.

I can’t help but think this Kyrie/KD pairing is going to end in frustration and no rings.  Gotta give him credit for that series vs the warriors, but aside from that, he’s really been a detriment.  What he did in Boston was embarrassing.  He clearly couldn’t co exist with a number of budding young stars.  He’s easily my most disliked player in the NBA. KD is almost the man, but he needs stability and others to lean on his to get back to the promised land.  I don’t think he has enough mental support with Kyrie in the mix.  If the Nets don’t resign dendre jordan (KDs best friend), it could be an ugly relationship. 

ftr- one of my best friends was KDs director of security in OKC and GS.  He lived with him and got to know him really well.  It could be a fragile situation for KD to play in Brooklyn if Jordan isn’t by his side.

i really liked what Atkinson was building and thought they made a mistake.  The nba is all about stars and they’re competing against the Knicks for those stars, so I can see why they wanted to sign them.  Spencer and Caris Levert can ball.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

nice.  I miss the Kenny Anderson/Drazen Petrovic backcourt.  They were fun to watch.

I can’t help but think this Kyrie/KD pairing is going to end in frustration and no rings.  Gotta give him credit for that series vs the warriors, but aside from that, he’s really been a detriment.  What he did in Boston was embarrassing.  He clearly couldn’t co exist with a number of budding young stars.  He’s easily my most disliked player in the NBA. KD is almost the man, but he needs stability and others to lean on his to get back to the promised land.  I don’t think he has enough mental support with Kyrie in the mix.  If the Nets don’t resign dendre jordan (KDs best friend), it could be an ugly relationship. 

ftr- one of my best friends was KDs director of security in OKC and GS.  He lived with him and got to know him really well.  It could be a fragile situation for KD to play in Brooklyn if Jordan isn’t by his side.

i really liked what Atkinson was building and thought they made a mistake.  The nba is all about stars and they’re competing against the Knicks for those stars, so I can see why they wanted to sign them.  Spencer and Caris Levert can ball.  

I was pissed when they let Kenny Atkinson go. I assume Kyrie had something to do with it since thats his past MO. The Nets would have been better off with D'lo and Durant but of course thats not how the NBA works. Your right Spencer and Levert are fun to watch. Isn't D Jordan signed for 4 years?

...Nets never get a break. The tragedy with Petro, Larry Brown quits in the middle of the playoffs, and now this.

7 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Jimmy pay the $85 and get the expedited line so you can leave you’re shoes and belt on, and leave you’re laptop in you’re briefcase.  Changed my life when I did it as I travel almost every week for work. 

this is true

by paying $85- you magically are no longer a terrorist threat

maybe we can the same with masks

the functional utility is about the same

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Getting rid of Atkinson was stupid. I hope the Knicks pick him up and he develops their younger players. I fully agree that KD and Kyrie pairing is going to end in frustration for everyone. I think they make deep runs in the playoffs but stall out due to Kyrie's shaky health and KD taking time to recover from that massive injury.

37 minutes ago, transient said:

So basically the NFL thinks it can assuage its collective conscience with a waiver to justify promoting mass gatherings during a pandemic.  You can assume with reasonable certainty that there will be multiple people in attendance at each game who are infected and that in addition to spreading it to others in attendance there will be community spread to those not in attendance and that some of those people will die.  You can also assume with reasonable certainty that these people will end up in local ER's putting further strain on resources and putting health care providers at increased risk... all in the name of entertainment and to make sure 32 million/billionaires can make a few more dollars. Sounds like a well thought out plan...

I would hope the NFL doesn't think its fans are as dumb as that scenario suggests (but who knows.) I think there is a more mundane reason for this waiver requirement - the NFL's and the teams' liability insurance carriers are probably insisting on it.

2 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I was pissed when they let Kenny Atkinson go. I assume Kyrie had something to do with it since thats his past MO. The Nets would have been better off with D'lo and Durant but of course thats not how the NBA works. Your right Spencer and Levert are fun to watch. Isn't D Jordan signed for 4 years?

...Nets never get a break. The tragedy with Petro, Larry Brown quits in the middle of the playoffs, and now this.

My bad, yeah 4-40ish for Jordan.  I thought he signed a one year for reason. That’s huge.  I think allen is better but they need jordan in the locker room. 

3 minutes ago, spartacus said:

this is true

by paying $85- you magically are no longer a terrorist threat

maybe we can the same with masks

the functional utility is about the same

I know.  To their defense, you have to go through a fingerprint check and they do an extensive background check, but the good news is it lasts for five years.  Even if people recreationally travel a couple of times a year, it is so worth it even if just to get in the short line.  Made it very easy for me to get in an out of the airports.  I am so spoiled now as each year when we were going to a family reunion and Bills game, my kids would force me to get in the regular line.  I know I’m a brat.

The waiver is enough proof to demonstrate to Joe Public that there is a continuing risk of covid-19 and you May be infected if you agree to enter these premises and you agree not to hold the NFL liable. On its own it would seem that warning/signing a waiver  may be enough to give pause to people with co-morbidities to not attend. Perhaps the NFL is solely signaling That to the public in view of law posted by Mickey above that such waiver in unenforceable.

An attempt to cover themselves from liability clearly. Would it serve to prevent lawsuits? Apparently not if it is unenforceable. To me what this waiver means is the pandemic is nowhere near under control and as such you are putting yourself at risk by attending. Period. So in other words the NFL is willing to put its fans in risk as long as we agree it Is a risk. This surprises me zero. If it were only those fans risking themselves then Id say go for it have at it its your life you are putting at risk. But its not.   Risk reward ratio people. Is NFL football worth even conceivably risking your health  or anyone elses for that matter while in a pandemic that is spiking where I live in no way retreating? My answer is No. I'm not signing and Im not going either. Which sucks because I have tickets to an away game I'll likely not be using if indeed they host games in AZ this season or anywhere else for that matter

Edited by Muppy

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Getting rid of Atkinson was stupid. I hope the Knicks pick him up and he develops their younger players. I fully agree that KD and Kyrie pairing is going to end in frustration for everyone. I think they make deep runs in the playoffs but stall out due to Kyrie's shaky health and KD taking time to recover from that massive injury.

have a feeling the Knicks screw up and grab tibs.  He had exactly what the Knicks are trying to build when he was in Minnesota.....and he was terrible.  Is he going to build a team of 33 year old free agents that’ll respect him and give it their all?   I don’t see why anyone would hire Tibs as a HC after what happened in Minnesota and to a lesser degree in Chicago.  He was built on the coattails of Danny Ainge/Doc putting together that 2008 team imo. 

My buddy thinks KD will miss the first half of next season, if not more.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's why:

WIt6cpY.jpg

a9uat0i.jpg

454a0t2.jpg

Compared to our disaster:

DdFrsTk.jpg

And that's with the same increased testing.

Forget any of the media nonsense and look at the numbers and trends. Everyone who behaved and sucked it up and followed some EASY rules for a couple months are getting their lives back. Even Italy got their act together. They're playing Rugby in New Zealand, and Baseball in South Korea too.

But not us. Because "we need our haircuts" or "muh freedom" or something. We dont deserve to have our Football back.

Each of the countries listed all were on major lockdown until the past week. Also the people wanting haircuts are not the ones getting Covid, it is the people who going into packed bars or other situations where many people are in small areas. It is amazing how often people spout off here with information without any idea what it means. Lastly NZ had "ended" Covid in their country and then once they released everyone from lock down it came back. It is as if the lockdown was not to flatten the curve but to score political points when we came out of lockdown.