NFL may have fans sign a waiver to attend games

1 hour ago, arcane said:

I'd bet you anything I own that there will be an nfl season this fall.

A full season that crowns a champ? Business as usual? And what do you own? Is this a money bet or a line bet? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Worse than Football, where players tackle each other, sweat and bleed all over each other? Nah.

Plus, Football requires far more ancillary staff than Basketball with so many coaches and trainers. Most of which are old, or obese, or both.

NBA can send the players into their "bubble" and pull off a quick March Madness-type tourney and call that a season. Football, not so much.

I think the bigger staffs, more roster spots is a bigger threat than the physical contact.  

Of course, the science on this changes ever day it seems, but -currently- this doesn’t pass very easily outside.   Of course NFL players are, for quick spurts, in close contact with each other.   NBA guys are within a few inches of each other all game, constantly breathing heavy, constantly sweating, indoors. 

Both have their challenges, but if the NBA works out, that portends well to the NFL.   Especially since LeBron or AD catching COVID during a playoff series would be similar to a starting QB having to miss 2+ weeks due to COVID.  

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

facepalm moment for sure... i actually am, but as a Knicks fan, I’ve clearly lost my mind. 

Hence the qualifying word ... “if”

Sorry, misunderstood your use of if.  I thought you were using it in past tense, as if they had already figured it out.  

I want a season as much as the rest, but strictly going off of our countries inability to even care about stopping the spread, I don’t see it happening.  Teens and young adults are having “spread Covid parties” ffs.  Call me a pessimist, I just say it how I see it.  I don’t see the mlb, nba or NfL finishing their seasons.  I think each will play some games and do their best to get their money, only to suspend their seasons.  50,000 in the US yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, iinii said:

A full season that crowns a champ? Business as usual? And what do you own? Is this a money bet or a line bet? 

If I had to bet.. I’d bet on a full regular season/playoffs and “potentially” fans “at some point”, depending on pharma breakthroughs. 

8 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

lol, ok thats a pass. I don't know why the Nets are bothering to go to Orlando. Dinwiddie and Jordan are already covid'ed and Chandler said screw it.

Are you a nets fan?

Just now, SCBills said:

If I had to bet.. I’d bet on a full regular season/playoffs and “potentially” fans “at some point”, depending on pharma breakthroughs. 

Bookies don't take that type of bet. 

• Haha (+1) 1

As long as the players play the games I don't really care what has to happen. I'll be watching from my couch anyway.

Quarantine the players. Empty the stadiums. Fine by me. Just play the games.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

As long as the players play the games I don't really care what has to happen. I'll be watching from my couch anyway.

Quarantine the players. Empty the stadiums. Fine by me. Just play the games.

They’ve been playing soccer over in Europe for a minute now... I don’t see why American Football can’t do the same. 

Unfortunately this country is far too media driven and since the election is November 4th, we likely won’t catch another two week protest break from constant COVID coverage.  

Disclaimer: I support the protests and am not a Trump fan, but I’m not sure how anyone can examine how the media has covered COVID and not throw them a side eye. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the bigger staffs, more roster spots is a bigger threat than the physical contact.  

Of course, the science on this changes ever day it seems, but -currently- this doesn’t pass very easily outside.   Of course NFL players are, for quick spurts, in close contact with each other.   NBA guys are within a few inches of each other all game, constantly breathing heavy, constantly sweating, indoors. 

Both have their challenges, but if the NBA works out, that portends well to the NFL.   Especially since LeBron or AD catching COVID during a playoff series would be similar to a starting QB having to miss 2+ weeks due to COVID.  

This is one of the problems I have with the nba season continuing. I think it’s going to be such a diluted pool of players.  I’ve heard rumors that Lou Williams isn’t going to play.  Taking him out off the clippers is crippling to their backcourt.  That’s one guy on one team.  There are going to be several more that sit out or miss several games. It’s going to be survival of the luckiest.  I do believe that the crowned champion will be among the least hit by people sitting out/players infected.  Lame way to crown a champ.  Maybe I’m wrong.  I hope I am. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

This is one of the problems I have with the nba season continuing. I think it’s going to be such a diluted pool of players.  I’ve heard rumors that Lou Williams isn’t going to play.  Taking him out off the clippers is crippling to their backcourt.  That’s one guy on one team.  There are going to be several more that sit out or miss several games. It’s going to be survival of the luckiest.  I do believe that the crowned champion will be among the least hit by people sitting out/players infected.  Lame way to crown a champ.  Maybe I’m wrong.  I hope I am. 

exactly. 

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They’ve been playing soccer over in Europe for a minute now... I don’t see why American Football can’t do the same. 

Unfortunately this country is far too media driven and since the election is November 4th, we likely won’t catch another two week protest break from constant COVID coverage.  

Disclaimer: I support the protests and am not a Trump fan, but I’m not sure how anyone can examine how the media has covered COVID and not throw them a side eye. 

Here's why:

WIt6cpY.jpg

a9uat0i.jpg

454a0t2.jpg

Compared to our disaster:

DdFrsTk.jpg

And that's with the same increased testing.

Forget any of the media nonsense and look at the numbers and trends. Everyone who behaved and sucked it up and followed some EASY rules for a couple months are getting their lives back. Even Italy got their act together. They're playing Rugby in New Zealand, and Baseball in South Korea too.

But not us. Because "we need our haircuts" or "muh freedom" or something. We dont deserve to have our Football back.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Such a waiver is not legally binding, and the leagues legal representatives know it. It is farcical at best to even pretend a waiver could be used as an instrument that could protect the league from future judicial action.  An organization can not knowingly invite people into an environment that can endanger their health/ kill them and not be held legally responsible. Whoever proposes/authorizes this scam on behalf of the NFL is very likely to be the league’s future scapegoat. Only money worshippers would even entertain criminal activity on this level. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A few baseball players have also said they are not playing this year

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's why:

WIt6cpY.jpg

a9uat0i.jpg

454a0t2.jpg

Compared to our disaster:

DdFrsTk.jpg

And that's with the same increased testing.

Forget any of the media nonsense and look at the numbers and trends. Everyone who behaved and sucked it up and followed some EASY rules for a couple months are getting their lives back. Even Italy got their act together. They're playing Rugby in New Zealand, and Baseball in South Korea too.

But not us. Because "we need our haircuts" or "muh freedom" or something. We dont deserve to have our Football back.

Don't forget "muh looting".

1 hour ago, Westside Madness said:

Yes, like my parents not dying. I will not apologize for my motive.

I am glad that the waivers (at least currently) wont matter for NY as neither you or any other fan should have the right to sign away liability for the risk you would pose to my family after you go tailgate on Sunday, then show up hungover at Wegmans on Monday with your mask around your chin.

I wouldn't trust 80% of the population to babysit a garden gnome, let alone make intelligent, properly informed and non-selfish decisions. I hear the cries of 'but my freedom!' and all that translates to me is toddlers throwing temper tantrums.

why would you go to wegmans?

That’s reckless.  

You should really sign a waiver since you’re opting out of having your groceries contactlessly delivered. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

So the 20% of the population you trust are all Politicians and Doctors?  Otherwise your point makes no sense.

Disagree.  The poster didn't suggest which percentages were which.  I agree with the poster.  I don't trust about 80% of the general population with their decision making either.

32 minutes ago, nucci said:

A few baseball players have also said they are not playing this year

yeah I know.  I don’t enjoy baseball like I used to. I’m a yankee fan but more than anything, I just root against the Red Sox and Dodgers.  As long as they don’t win it, I’m content.

Lebron winning another title is significant in terms of NBA history.  Similar to last year.  The Raptors won the title, but everyone knows the only reason they won is because KD and Klay were injured.  Sorry raptors fans.  That was just terrible luck for GS losing 2 of their best players due to injury.  This is a pandemic and people are getting sick left and right.  Injuries are a part of the game.  Pandemics are not.  Jmo

That waiver should also say that they'll forgo health-care services if they contract COVID-19. There's no reason to put more medical staff at risk because some people decided to ignore expert advice.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1