Powerball winner Jack Whittaker has died

Just Jack

His biggest problem was that he thought he could live his regular life including hanging out in bars after his big win which was his big mistake.  With no privacy law here in NY if you won you need to keep a low profile and move to an undisclosed location.  Harder to do if married and have children.  I'd still take the money but change my phone number and move a distance away for starters.  Probably have to keep moving for a while but things would calm down after a few years.  A new identity for going out and about would be a help along with a 20 year old pick up truck to keep all the riff raff away.  At least he lived awhile instead of being murdered like a few people.

Jack Whittaker was wealthy before he won the powerball. He was a  very successful contractor.

Roch Bob is correct in that Jack lived like he had before.  Multiple DUI's and robberies always made me wonder

Why didnt he hire a chauffer/body guard .

He did many charitable activities in WV.

9 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

His biggest problem was that he thought he could live his regular life including hanging out in bars after his big win which was his big mistake.  With no privacy law here in NY if you won you need to keep a low profile and move to an undisclosed location.  Harder to do if married and have children.  I'd still take the money but change my phone number and move a distance away for starters.  Probably have to keep moving for a while but things would calm down after a few years.  A new identity for going out and about would be a help along with a 20 year old pick up truck to keep all the riff raff away.  At least he lived awhile instead of being murdered like a few people.

why would you have to continually move around?  would you be that concerned about safety?

25 minutes ago, teef said:

why would you have to continually move around?  would you be that concerned about safety?

Depends on how much you won.  The man in question won over 300M dollars so he was on everybody's radar in the community that he lived in which was not overly wealthy.  If you only win a million then you only have to worry about pissing off a few friends and relatives when you say no about passing out money.

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Depends on how much you won.  The man in question won over 300M dollars so he was on everybody's radar in the community that he lived in which was not overly wealthy.  If you only win a million then you only have to worry about pissing off a few friends and relatives when you say no about passing out money.

you'd definitely be bothered if it was new money.  i'd have no problem telling people to go ***** themselves though.  i mean...if i knew someone that came into a large amount of money, i would never think that i was entitled to some.  i do think it's too bad you can't keep it private here though.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

you'd definitely be bothered if it was new money.  i'd have no problem telling people to go ***** themselves though.  i mean...if i knew someone that came into a large amount of money, i would never think that i was entitled to some.  i do think it's too bad you can't keep it private here though.

I can say no as well but I would be concerned about the people who have criminal intent towards you.  Especially in current times when more people are struggling due to the virus fallout.  

Friend of a friend won $70ish million in a multi-state lottery maybe 10-15 years ago.  $40ish million after taxes.  As I understand it, his dad bought the ticket at his request on the way to NY from Illinois, the dad being a farmer in rural Ill.  

So, find out he wins, incredible news, tons to do, trusts to establish, if I recall they used a well-known law firm out of KC to get ducks in a row.  Anyway, a few days after the win, the dad gets up at the crack of dawn to return home.  His son asks where he's going...they just won $70m.  Dad says "you won the lottery,  I have to get back to the farm.". 

I understand this sounds urban legendy, and certainly understand those who will discount.  100% true story, characterized appropriately, though I couldn't tell you if the "get back to the farm" line came the night before or in the morning. Those things certainly can lose accuracy from one telling to another. 

Btw, lottery winner had a job paying him $300-400k per year based on conservative estimate of similar jobs. Smart guy, I have no idea what has happened since. 

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In NH you are allowed to create an anonymous trust to collect lottery winnings.

Measures like that have been introduced in the NYS Assembly from time to time only to be shot down by the Governor among others.  

53 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The man in question won over 300M dollars so he was on everybody's radar in the community that he lived in which was not overly wealthy. 

And that was a huge jackpot back then. Now there are people that won't play unless it gets over that number. 

52 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I can say no as well but I would be concerned about the people who have criminal intent towards you.  Especially in current times when more people are struggling due to the virus fallout.  

i wouldn't let anyone kidnap  you rochesterrob!

11 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'd settle for far far less and live a normal life.

I'd have more than settled for $17m he was already worth. How much is enough?