NFL preseason will be cut in half (update: NFL now proposes just one game)

Will be surprised if they have any preseason games, unless fans are straight up not permitted to attend.

Even then, I'd be surprised. The virus will spread through these teams once they are around each other all the time.

This is a *GREAT* opportunity, however, to quietly change how the pre-season works forever.

Great now let's make it permanent.  There is no need for any preseason games. They only exist because guys in the past needed training camp and preseason games to get in shape and learn new stuff. That is not the case anymore. No need to risk injury to any player in a meaningless game. 

They know maybe 48 or even 50 of the 53 already. The last 3-5 guys are no better than the final 10 guys that get cut and all can be replaced easily. Really all you are talking about is deciding between a couple backup OL, DB, and LBs. 

37 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Anybody want to bet a nickel, it will be dropped to no pre-season games, and possibly delaying the season later than September.  This isn’t getting better so the closer we get to the season, things will keep changing.

Delaying the season wont do any good. Once we get to October then it will be influenza season as well. Most hospitals get close to max capacity when influenza season hits along with their normal acute and elective business. Once you add COVID-19 to influenza the health care system will buckle. Influenza season was just about over when first case occurred in Seattle and was well over by the time NYC buckled. 

There is virtually no chance football will be played this year college or NFL.

Just passed 50K cases in a day, 10K from Florida alone. Will easily pass 250K dead at this rate.

Stay home and wear a mask. Study just showed the curve started to flatten with just voluntary common sense even before lockdowns. But it is just a matter of time before nationwide lockdowns occur again. Probably not entire businesses but those that have crowds. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Good. Honestly this should be permanent. The only thing more pointless in the NFL than preseason is the Pro Bowl.

The pro bowl. It’s actually painful to watch that. Absolutely no point, no competition, just no reason to hold it at all. Does it actually get viewership? I guess it must or the NFL would probably do away with it. 

30 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I didn’t mind 4 preseason games.   Liked seeing the young guys who were drafted and the nfl journeyman that you likely otherwise never get to see play. 

There are plenty of reasons to enjoy preseason games. We get to follow some of the camp competitions. We get a bead on some the third stringers, who we would otherwise rarely see. You get a first NFL look at the rookies (some of whom we will never see again). I remember last season, they handed off to Motor something like fifteen times in a row, just to see what he was made of. Is it "meaningful" football? Naw. But it's football. I watch, and enjoy all four, every year. And, for all those on here who get all sour at their very existence, I would think that not watching would suffice.

36 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

The pro bowl. It’s actually painful to watch that. Absolutely no point, no competition, just no reason to hold it at all. Does it actually get viewership? I guess it must or the NFL would probably do away with it. 

I watch the preseason games religiously, and enjoy them. But, the pro bowl could be played as a bocce tournament, and probably be more entertaining.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Delaying the season wont do any good. Once we get to October then it will be influenza season as well. Most hospitals get close to max capacity when influenza season hits along with their normal acute and elective business. Once you add COVID-19 to influenza the health care system will buckle. Influenza season was just about over when first case occurred in Seattle and was well over by the time NYC buckled. 

Just passed 50K cases in a day, 10K from Florida alone. Will easily pass 250K dead at this rate.

Stay home and wear a mask. Study just showed the curve started to flatten with just voluntary common sense even before lockdowns. But it is just a matter of time before nationwide lockdowns occur again. Probably not entire businesses but those that have crowds. 

Flu season usually peaks between December and February, our hospitals in Roch aren't ever near max capacity even during January of 2017 which was one of the worst we've seen in a long time.   Your take is a classic doom and gloom. 

The game will be played as long as testing is adequate and protocols followed properly by the players. 

Obviously putting fans in the stands are unlikely until a strong treatment or vaccine is proven, so nobody has a clue on that yet, but to say a team can't accurately rapid test and quarantine well enough in 4 months to put 50 healthy players on the field safely every Sunday is overly pessimistic.

Fine with me. ‘Sides, preseason is nothing but panicking about injuries anyways. And Josh gonna do something stupid like lower a shoulder on a linebacker and scare me....I just know it. So, good. 

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

? is anywhere on this board COVID discussion free.