Who is the starting QB in NE and more poll

Who wins the starting Job in NE?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the starter week 1 for NE?

2. 2. Who will be the starter at end of season for NE? (no injuries factored in, just performance)

3. 3. Do the Pats make the playoffs in 2020, and if so, who is the QB for them in the post season?

• No, they will NOT make the playoffs
    • Yes, Newton is the QB come postseason
    • Yes, Stidham is the QB come postseason

Lots of discussion since Cam joined NE, so wanted to start a poll to go on record who people think will actually be the week one starter, and also add a question in to see who they think either keeps the job or takes over the job by end of season.  And also, to see if people think they will be a post season team and if so, who is the QB.

I think the answer here is tough, I do think the Pats really are high on Stidham.  So I kind of have a feeling Stidham starts the season off week 1 potentially as the starter given his experience in the offense too.  

But I also find it hard to have high confidence in him at this stage, and not sure he can get the job done well enough to hold off Newton.  So I went with Stidham, Newton, and Yes, with Newton.  As much as I want the Pats to be terrible, its hard to count out BB and they do still have a solid roster even if they lost some players this year.  So if the QB can do a good job, I do think Pats will contend for a wild card spot still at least.  

Not really a wrong answer here I think, as its all up in the air and I can see any of the scenarios happening.  More was just curious on what everyone else felt at this stage.  I am sure this will really start changing once we see them on the field.   

The former Colts kicker titled an episode of his YouTube show about Cam being the backup, wouldn’t surprise me frankly, the odds of Cam coming back from injuries and being as good as he had been are small. 

Cam will start and plays thru the year IF healthy. They make a wild card spot, not because of Cam but because of Belichick. Until he misses the playoffs, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me - despite thinking they have no business being in the playoffs with that roster.  He’s a MUCH better coach than GM. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Stidham sucks. The Pats know that and HAVE known that. Cam isn’t there to battle with some scrub. He must be healthy and he’s there to play. The Pats now can make the playoffs. I voted that they will but am not that confident in that. They were going to be a 6 win team with Stidham and they’ll be about a 9 win team with Cam. 

• Like (+1) 2

Stidham

Newton

Newton

I think Stidham starts because he has been in the system and Cam hasn't. If this were a normal offseason then I could see Cam starting week one. Tough to learn the offense when you don't have a real offseason program.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think Newton takes a 6 or 7 win team and makes them a 9 or 10 win team. This changes little about how I feel about our bills season because the team I envision is winning 10-12 regardless of if newton plays or not.

Right, the Pats might be good this season, but that doesn’t mean we can’t contend. It seems like some people think the Pats need to be bad for us to have a chance. If we want to be good, we need to beat good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

Before Cam got hurt his numbers were ahead of his MVP season. He didn’t go there to battle Stidham. He went there to be the QB of the Patriots. IF (big IF) Cam is healthy he’s playing all year. There’s no doubt about that. He wasn’t going there otherwise. Stidham is not good.

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Right, the Pats might be good this season, but that doesn’t mean we can’t contend. It seems like some people think the Pats need to be bad for us to have a chance. If we want to be good, we need to beat good teams. 

I think we are still better than them. I’m with @Stank_Nasty in that they went from 6 or 7 wins to 9 or 10. We should still win that many games but the Pats can now compete.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Before Cam got hurt his numbers were ahead of his MVP season. He didn’t go there to battle Stidham. He went there to be the QB of the Patriots. IF (big IF) Cam is healthy he’s playing all year. There’s no doubt about that. He wasn’t going there otherwise. Stidham is not good.

I think we are still better than them. I’m with @Stank_Nasty in that they went from 6 or 7 wins to 9 or 10. We should still win that many games but the Pats can now compete.

Yeah, everyone wants to say that Cam has lost it, but that misses the point imo. Stidham just isn’t going to be the starting QB for a competitive football team. Regardless of what point Newton is at in his career, he’s an upgrade over Stidham. The Pats were going to be really bad with Stidham. Cam Newton even at fifty percent is always better than Stidham. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Cam will start and play thru the year. They make a wild card spot, not because of Cam but because of Belichick. Until he misses the playoffs, he gets the benefit of the doubt from me - despite thinking they have no business being in the playoffs with that roster.  He’s a MUCH better coach than GM. 

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yeah, I am about in the same place as you guys.  I still think we win the division, but I do think Pats could still could make it tough and could still contend for that wildcard spot.  And my main reason is BB, not anything other than BB.  Adding Cam now definitely makes it more interesting in my opinion.  While I think it would be foolish to assume Cam will regain pro bowl form automatically in NE, its equally foolish to assume he cant either.  He's not that old, and if he is healthy, it would be premature to just outright dismiss him right now.  Especially now that he is paired with BB as well.

I also do think, like many others do, that the Pats genuinely are high on Stidham too.  So it will be interesting to see how the battle for week 1 starter plays out.  Cam is coming off an injury, learning a new system, and dealing in a shortened and impacted season due to COVID as well to adjust, learn, and find his game again.  So that is why I went Stidham, Newton, and yes with Newton.  

Should be an interesting story line to watch.  Honestly none of the scenarios would be a surprise to me.  

• Like (+1) 2

If the Pats were high on Stidham they wouldn't have signed Newton.  Newton will start and be good enough to get them to a WC spot.  I think we'll take the division though assuming this season actually happens.  Also, keep in mind when we play them McDermott is pry more suited to put an effective game plan against Newton than anybody.

• Like (+1) 1

Of his 9 years in the NFL (granted last year was only 2 games) he’s only been above 60% completion twice.  The rest has been in the low to high 50% range.  He’s really banged up, and I’m guessing someone will give him a hard tackle and he’ll be sidelined again.  I don’t have anything against Cam, and never wish for a player to get injured, just that it is likely.  He’s taken so many shots over the years.  He’d have to change his style like a Brady and have an ultra quick release to avoid the hits.  I just don’t see him making such a sweeping change.

I hope I’m wrong and he makes it the whole season as long as we sweep them.   Said the other day on NFLR, I’m betting we end up 5-1 in the division.  The Jets and Dolphins are in a perpetual reload.  A couple of years down the road, our rival will most likely be the Fins as Tuaif healthy is going to be tough.