Bill Barnwell on Josh Allen

Stads

Bill Barnwell is giving updates on the 2018 QB class. This is his take on Josh Allen. It is quite extensive and is the usual Josh Allen retrospective: He's good, but he's got issues that are holding the Bills back from taking the next step

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29376046/make-break-year-josh-allen-progress-report-bills-qb-ahead-2020

Edited by Stads
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I read it and think he is overall fair but I would have broken the years up after his first 16 starts and his starts since. Also his conclusion that JA is just like Tyrod is sad because Tyrod had peaked and JA looks like he is ascending. His biggest point is that JA is the key to our winning or losing is correct though.

• Like (+1) 3

I read this article early this morning. While I'm a big Allen supporter,  I thought the article was fair for the most part. I can't agree with the comparison to Tyrod, as he was going in to his 5th season when he arrived in Buffalo. Barnwell restated what we all know-  there are 2 sides to Josh. The how'd he make that play side,  and the WTF was he doing side.  Allen has to show progress again this year,  and this offense needs to get drops under control. 

I think it'll all work out. 

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

I read this article early this morning. While I'm a big Allen supporter,  I thought the article was fair for the most part. I can't agree with the comparison to Tyrod, as he was going in to his 5th season when he arrived in Buffalo. Barnwell restated what we all know-  there are 2 sides to Josh. The how'd he make that play side,  and the WTF was he doing side.  Allen has to show progress again this year,  and this offense needs to get drops under control. 

I think it'll all work out. 

I literally don’t know any rational person could have any problems with this article.  He has been Tyrod the first 2 years - a game manger who can make explosive plays at time.

Where fans get divided is potential.  Potential means you haven’t done ?.  Personally, I think the fact Allen has never been a dominant player on any level worries me.  I think he will always be this inconsistent type qb.  Luckily our team is good enough where I don’t think it matters that much.  But if Allen does develop the way some are so sold on, this is a SB type team.  

now, let the personal attacks begin on Barnwell!!!

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 4

OH. MY. GOD.  Please let this season happen so these articles will stop.  Everybody knows this is Allen's make-it-or-break-it season to show he is going to be "the man."  EVERYBODY.  How many "the Bills will only go as far as Josh Allen takes them" articles do we need?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Here it is...2020 and Billy Barns is still beating that Tyrod Taylor drum ?

We would have been 10-6 with 2015 Tyrod last year.  

Just now, Reader said:

Yeah Josh is like 25% "WTF are you doing bro?" and 75% "WTF, do that again bro!"

He’s cocaine (or what I heard it’s like). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

He's comparing Taylor to JA by numbers alone. Any of us Bills fans who have watched the both of them for an extended period of time know the differences that lie outside of just numbers. Like Tyrod being captain check-down which inflates his completion percentage. Josh takes more shots, looking for larger chunks of yardage than did Taylor. We know about Tyrod not being anywhere as close to clutch as has been Josh. Josh can simply make throws that Tyrod couldn't make if his life depended on it. Tyrod had more agility than Josh and made some crazy plays avoiding tackles, but Josh is 5" taller and about 35lbs heavier than Tyrod so he doesn't go down as easy when hit. I would also like to see the percentage of drops during Tyrod being at the helm versus Josh as well if we are going by numbers. Either way, a lot of what he says is true. There is a reason to be both optimistic and pessimistic because of the things Josh has done on the field at certain points. But if you look at his first year compared to his 2nd year, then you see a ton of growth and maturation. We made the right choice in going all in on Allen over sticking with Tyrod.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personally, I wouldn't say say this is a make or break year for Allen.

The playoff game? A 23 year old coming from a small college, in a small town to the NFL playoffs in his 2nd year. He was nervous. He looked just as nervous as he did the first half of his rookie season. No big deal. He's a smart dude, He'll get over the nerves either this season or the next one.

Accuracy- Well jeez, he could be like every other QB out there and dump the ball off 10+ times a game instead of scrambling for 10+ yards.(but c'mon, we all really enjoy watching Allen run) 

Deep Pass- He can throw deep. It's a threat every time he's on the field. Defenses know that. Gone are the days of Defenses stacking 9 players at the line.

He's the best QB we've had in YEARS.

Personally, he's the most enjoyable QB to watch since pre concussion Edwards.

• Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:
8 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

We would have been 10-6 with 2015 Tyrod last year.  

TT does NOT have the game against the Cowboys that JA did!

TT was terrified to put the ball anywhere near  A defender as a general rule.

TT isn’t reaching into a pile and pulling the ball out, diving forward and slinging a Cowboy over the LOS.

9-7 at best

• Like (+1) 6

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I literally don’t know any rational person could have any problems with this article.  He has been Tyrod the first 2 years - a game manger who can make explosive plays at time.

Where fans get divided is potential.  Potential means you haven’t done ?.  Personally, I think the fact Allen has never been a dominant player on any level worries me.  I think he will always be this inconsistent type qb.  Luckily our team is good enough where I don’t think it matters that much.  But if Allen does develop the way some are so sold on, this is a SB type team.  

now, let the personal attacks begin on Barnwell!!!

One big difference.  Tyrod was a check down machine on 3rd down if he wasn’t running for the first.  Josh never checks down on 3rd down.  Josh rarely checks down period.  

one plays it safe.  One goes for the win.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

TT does NOT have the game against the Cowboys that JA did!

TT was terrified to put the ball anywhere near  A defender as a general rule.

TT isn’t reaching into a pile and pulling the ball out, diving forward and slinging a Cowboy over the LOS.

9-7 at best

I thought that Dallas Cowboys game was the best of Allen’s career.  But man, some of you act like it was Brett Favre after his dad died.

1) the cowboys were frauds

2) Allen had 231 yards, 1 passing tds, 27 yards, 1 rush td.  Again, I think it was his best all around game but that is like an average game for most qbs.

3). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/gamelog/2015/

TT had like 4 better games than that in 2015. 

of Allen doesn’t become better than TT, it will be disappointment.  But it’s weird how some of you disrespect him (and trust me, I was ready to move on from Taylor) to prop up Allen.  Allen has essentially been Taylor.  Now, can he take the next step and be the main reason why we win?  That’s a very reasonable question. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One big difference.  Tyrod was a check down machine on 3rd down if he wasn’t running for the first.  Josh never checks down on 3rd down.  Josh rarely checks down period.  

one plays it safe.  One goes for the win.

2015 Taylor averaged 7.99 ypa.  Allen averaged 6.7 Ypa last year.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I read it and think he is overall fair but I would have broken the years up after his first 16 starts and his starts since. Also his conclusion that JA is just like Tyrod is sad because Tyrod had peaked and JA looks like he is ascending. His biggest point is that JA is the key to our winning or losing is correct though.

He did that type of breakdown when he made the TT comp.  He also said he was likely to be better than him.

18 minutes ago, Reader said:

2015 Tyrod is underrated on this board.

I didn’t even really love Tyrod either.  But Bills fans do this and it’s weird.  Tyrod was a solid starting qb and won more than he lost.  We did this with Flutie.  

now Allen has essentially done a Tyrod impression and he is a future star while Tyrod is some bum.  It’s weird. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I thought that Dallas Cowboys game was the best of Allen’s career.  But man, some of you act like it was Brett Favre after his dad died.

1) the cowboys were frauds

2) Allen had 231 yards, 1 passing tds, 27 yards, 1 rush td.  Again, I think it was his best all around game but that is like an average game for most qbs.

3). https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TaylTy00/gamelog/2015/

TT had like 4 better games than that in 2015. 

of Allen doesn’t become better than TT, it will be disappointment.  But it’s weird how some of you disrespect him (and trust me, I was ready to move on from Taylor) to prop up Allen.  Allen has essentially been Taylor.  Now, can he take the next step and be the main reason why we win?  That’s a very reasonable question. 

2015 Taylor averaged 7.99 ypa.  Allen averaged 6.7 Ypa last year.  

Cool.

Tyrod checks down too much, while Josh goes for the first down almost every time he has the chance.