Bills give STHers option to opt-out for 2020 while maintaining seniority and seat location

RiotAct

I didn't see this post, or in the OP's link, it's the email I received this afternoon...

Thank you for your continued support of the Buffalo Bills. We hope you and your family and friends are staying safe and healthy.

While the possibility exists that no spectators will be permitted at New Era Field for the 2020 season, we continue to work with the NFL and state and local government agencies to establish policies and procedures to create and maintain the safest possible environment for spectators.

As we navigate this unprecedented offseason, we recognize that there may be questions about the upcoming season and we are working diligently on guidelines that will provide a safe environment at New Era Field. We appreciate your patience and understanding and we will remain in contact with you in the days and weeks ahead.

As guidelines are established, we will communicate them to all ticket purchasers as soon as possible, including any changes to our seating capacity. Until then, we will not be charging or taking any additional season ticket payments.

Please understand that in a reduced capacity scenario, seat locations and availability for season ticket members may be adjusted.

In addition, all season ticket members will be given the opportunity to opt out of their season ticket commitment for this season with an option to return for the 2021 season while maintaining their account seniority and seat location. An email with opt-out information will be sent in the coming days.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your account representative.

Whether you are cheering on the team from our house or yours, we look forward to celebrating an exciting year of Bills football with you.

Go Bills!

7 hours ago, zonabb said:

Great by them. Great they also suspended payments. I'm opting out, waiting for the official steps to be revealed. No way I'm going to that stadium with the attitudes too many people have about the danger posed by covid. Actually a really good test run to see if I'll actually miss the PITA security lines, cramped concourses, and obnoxious scoreboard. Could be the end. 

Be a tough nut to give up on Bills games, but I’ll agree the security lines are horrendous and far worse than any other stadium I’ve visited, and the concourses are reminiscent of a midievil dungeon 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Be a tough nut to give up on Bills games, but I’ll agree the security lines are horrendous and far worse than any other stadium I’ve visited, and the concourses are reminiscent of a midievil dungeon 

Agree here. I'm more than halfway through my long journey of attending a home game of the 32 NFL teams (I was at 21 out of 32 but since the Raiders are moving I guess I'm down to 20) and the lines and the wait time to get into New Era Field are longer than in most of the other NFL stadiums IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

If season ticket holders opt out for this year an the team ends up having playoff games here, would those that opt out due to Covid have an opportunity to purchase those seats if the situation related to Covid changes?

Edited by SpunkysSD
misspelling

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Crazy times. Allowing an opt out while maintaining status is really the ONLY way to go. More than anything, I hope it matters.

What status is being maintained? I don’t understand your take? I believe the NFL right now is coming to grips that this upcoming season isnt going to happen. 

16 hours ago, vanhalen26 said:

I have seasons and live in Toronto.  If we return from any country, the government requires we quarantine for 14 days.  Makes it hard to justify going to a bills game - especially with a family that relies on me to be out and about.  Today the government extended this rule from mid July to August 31st.  There’s speculation that the rule may get extended to the spring.  

This makes it even less likely Canadians will be at games this year, what a downer.

I floated this possibility on the forums a few months back, and the consensus seemed to be I was over reacting.  Unfortunately I may have been correct.

Hopefully we can get to games this year, even if it’s just the back half of the season.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-canada/canada-extends-covid-19-international-border-closures-mandatory-quarantine-order-idUSKBN2413AY

This pretty much settles it for our Canadian fanbase 

15 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Need a couple more weeks, but lets say for discussion sakes the mortality rate  continues to be low while the positive test rates continue to rise? Maybe then it becomes palatable to have fans? 

FWIW, i will keep my tickets no matter what, and hope we get some games in and get credits for the ones, if any, i am not able to attend per the Bills. 

My bigger fear is they have fans, but only allow fans from NYS to attend. Then i gunna have to hit up my daughter and have her order me a fake from her preferred vendor!

To your first point there, for me I'm not sure its worth it. My mom is immune compromised and basically retired in the middle of the week back in March because of her health concerns (she works with kids so this is pretty warranted). So for me, to have to not see my mom for a few weeks after going to a Bills game wouldn't be worth it. 

This whole situation just sucks. Wear your masks, people

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I'm probably the minority, but I would prefer they keep charging me (I'm on a payment plan) and just apply it towards next year. 

Me too, the money is already allocated in my budget. Guess I just roll it to another account

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like the only logical way to approach things right now.  If there is a season (i'd give about a 25-30% chance, it will be played either in empty stadiums or with maybe 20% capacity), the quality of the competition is going to be affected by infection rates.  Imagine the Bills have Josh and Diggs and several other players contract the virus.  That would pretty much shoot down any chance of competing.  And there is no way you can let positive tested players back on the field for a minimum of two weeks.  

A question came up if it would be OK to have fans if the death rate decreases.  First, as infection rates rise, you are going to see mo deaths, unless the virus mutates in such a way that it becomes less lethal (which I doubt).  second, you can have fans sign all the waivers in the world but if someone contracts it and dies from it lawsuits will start flying around regardless.  And finally, the focus on mortality ignores morbidity associated with the virus, and this has frustrated me since the beginning of the pandemic.  Just because the virus doesn't kill you doesn't mean it is harmless, with long term respiratory and cardiovascular complication likely associated with infection.  Those are not trivial.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Nice that they aren't taking anymore payments.....seeing as there was only one left ;)

I think I may get on the phone today and opt out.

The border may never open again and 14 day quarantine when or if I cross will not go over well with my boss even though he is a Bills fan ;) 

I wouldn't mind the extra time off ;) 

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

To your first point there, for me I'm not sure its worth it. My mom is immune compromised and basically retired in the middle of the week back in March because of her health concerns (she works with kids so this is pretty warranted). So for me, to have to not see my mom for a few weeks after going to a Bills game wouldn't be worth it. 

This whole situation just sucks. Wear your masks, people

Me too, the money is already allocated in my budget. Guess I just roll it to another account

This makes total and common sense, which we had more of both  in this world! 

Hope this did not hurt your Mom financially

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Nice that they aren't taking anymore payments.....seeing as there was only one left ;)

I did not see that in the mail..but i could have missed it

• Like (+1) 1

Am I the only one out there who read this as: Bills give "Special Teamers" the option to opt-out for 2020 while maintaining seniority and seat location?

i.e. Reid Ferguson doesn't have to long snap this year, and he gets his same spot on the bench, in 2021.

I'm sorry... not enough sports... my brain is melting.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

This makes total and common sense, which we had more of both  in this world! 

Hope this did not hurt your Mom financially

I did not see that in the mail..but i could have missed it

copied and pasted from my email

As guidelines are established, we will communicate them to all ticket purchasers as soon as possible, including any changes to our seating capacity. Until then, we will not be charging or taking any additional season ticket payments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Am I the only one out there who read this as: Bills give "Special Teamers" the option to opt-out for 2020 while maintaining seniority and seat location?

i.e. Reid Ferguson doesn't have to long snap this year, and he gets his same spot on the bench, in 2021.

I'm sorry... not enough sports... my brain is melting.

me too!

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just saw this and was coming to post it. I'm not surprised given a few other teams have started to do this. Not sure how I feel right now, I'm torn on taking them up on them up on it and hoping to go to games if it is safe to go in September (although i doubt it)

Hopefully we have some more time to decide. 

They did this once before.....the strike shortened season in the 80's.....Jim Kelly era.  I opted out and used the money to buy a pure bred St Bernard.

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I know a couple people that have died from it.  Do you?  It's nasty stuff.

Sorry for your loss, oldmanfan, ?

Sadly some folk aren’t smart enough to care about themselves or others. 

Basic precautions are an IQ test, we can tell those amongst us with the failing scores, they make themselves obvious. 

Go Bills!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 4