Bills give STHers option to opt-out for 2020 while maintaining seniority and seat location

RiotAct

Yup, popped up a little while ago, they really didn’t have a choice I think, it really is the only way to handle their current situation. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just saw this and was coming to post it. I'm not surprised given a few other teams have started to do this. Not sure how I feel right now, I'm torn on taking them up on them up on it and hoping to go to games if it is safe to go in September (although i doubt it)

Hopefully we have some more time to decide. 

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Just saw this and was coming to post it. I'm not surprised given a few other teams have started to do this. Not sure how I feel right now, I'm torn on taking them up on them up on it and hoping to go to games if it is safe to go in September (although i doubt it)

Hopefully we have some more time to decide. 

I’m of the opinion that for this season there’s a good chance the games still happen, but fans aren’t allowed in.  So it may be a moot point.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I’m of the opinion that for this season there’s a good chance the games still happen, but fans aren’t allowed in.  So it may be a moot point.

That's certainly one possibility.

I'll be surprised if games happen on time, if at all.  I see the AAA baseball season has just been terminated.

We are heading into Round 2 of Covid 19 and its a lot worse than Round 1.

The trend is to move away from sports this year, not move closer to playing them.

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

More likely to be honest. I'm optimistic but as more and more states shut down, I just dont see it happening. Cuomo will be very careful (as he should be) and I think a large gathering for a game isnt being careful

• Like (+1) 2

I posted in another thread about this, but they claim we’ll get an option in the coming days. I’ll be a little miffed if that decision is forced on us without any plan to review.

How are we getting equivalent seats, will we get all games, how will that be determined, etc?

Wife and I may opt out just for the uncertainty.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have seasons and live in Toronto.  If we return from any country, the government requires we quarantine for 14 days.  Makes it hard to justify going to a bills game - especially with a family that relies on me to be out and about.  Today the government extended this rule from mid July to August 31st.  There’s speculation that the rule may get extended to the spring.  

This makes it even less likely Canadians will be at games this year, what a downer.

I floated this possibility on the forums a few months back, and the consensus seemed to be I was over reacting.  Unfortunately I may have been correct.

Hopefully we can get to games this year, even if it’s just the back half of the season.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I understand your point here, but I’m not certain we ever left Round 1. NYC, yes. But I see a lot of folks talking about the “second wave” in the fall, but I’m not certain much of the country has experienced or cleared the “first wave”. If things keep on the current trend, this season will look completely different, if not cancelled altogether (to your point). 

Edited by TheProcess

5 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

I have seasons and live in Toronto.  If we return from any country, the government requires we quarantine for 14 days.  Makes it hard to justify going to a bills game - especially with a family that relies on me to be out and about.  Today the government extended this rule from mid July to August 31st.  There’s speculation that the rule may get extended to the spring.  

This makes it even less likely Canadians will be at games this year, what a downer.

I floated this possibility on the forums a few months back, and the consensus seemed to be I was over reacting.  Unfortunately I may have been correct.

Hopefully we can get to games this year, even if it’s just the back half of the season.

How do they enforce that?

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

How do they enforce that?

The risk of being caught is low, they’ve admitted as much.  They are doing limited spot checks.  The fines are insane.  

Here’s what an article on the topic posted today:  The rules are punishable by a fine of up to $750,000 or a month in jail, and the government will be conducting spot checks to ensure compliance

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

Canada is doing a lot better than the U.S. is overall with a coronavirus... you would think, if anything, the NFL would open the games up to ONLY Canadian fans... heh.

In this hypothetical situation, don’t eat at any restaurants or go to any bars, or tailgates,  and you’d be fine ;) 

32 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That's certainly one possibility.

I'll be surprised if games happen on time, if at all.  I see the AAA baseball season has just been terminated.

The trend is to move away from sports this year, not move closer to playing them.

fwiw...the AAA season being canceled is mostly financial.  they don't have the tv revenue, so with no fans, it apparently just wasn't feasible.

• Like (+1) 4

Great by them. Great they also suspended payments. I'm opting out, waiting for the official steps to be revealed. No way I'm going to that stadium with the attitudes too many people have about the danger posed by covid. Actually a really good test run to see if I'll actually miss the PITA security lines, cramped concourses, and obnoxious scoreboard. Could be the end. 

17 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Canada is doing a lot better than the U.S. is overall with a coronavirus... you would think, if anything, the NFL would open the games up to ONLY Canadian fans... heh.

In this hypothetical situation, don’t eat at any restaurants or go to any bars, or tailgates,  and you’d be fine ;) 

Don’t tailgate?  What’s the point in the drive!!  Kidding.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, vanhalen26 said:

The risk of being caught is low, they’ve admitted as much.  They are doing limited spot checks.  The fines are insane.  

Here’s what an article on the topic posted today:  The rules are punishable by a fine of up to $750,000 or a month in jail, and the government will be conducting spot checks to ensure compliance

Well I am sure they will be recording visitors who cross at official crossing reports so it will be hard to go to Bills home games which are back to back or even back to back with one weekend skipped.  How do you go to 2nd game while under quarantine?

2 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Great by them. Great they also suspended payments. I'm opting out, waiting for the official steps to be revealed. No way I'm going to that stadium with the attitudes too many people have about the danger posed by covid. Actually a really good test run to see if I'll actually miss the PITA security lines, cramped concourses, and obnoxious scoreboard. Could be the end. 

Sounds like you would be happier cheering against Bills in away games anyways.

42 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

More likely to be honest. I'm optimistic but as more and more states shut down, I just dont see it happening. Cuomo will be very careful (as he should be) and I think a large gathering for a game isnt being careful

Need a couple more weeks, but lets say for discussion sakes the mortality rate  continues to be low while the positive test rates continue to rise? Maybe then it becomes palatable to have fans? 

FWIW, i will keep my tickets no matter what, and hope we get some games in and get credits for the ones, if any, i am not able to attend per the Bills. 

My bigger fear is they have fans, but only allow fans from NYS to attend. Then i gunna have to hit up my daughter and have her order me a fake from her preferred vendor!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, zonabb said:

This is what I’m interested to see. How much information are we going to get before opting in or out? I can’t imagine they will have a whole lot of clarity with seating capacities.

I’ll be interested in what we actually agree to by opting in. If I’m getting moved to worse seats how is that being handled? How are they chopping games between season ticket holders? Seems like a nightmare to administer.