Antonio Brown interest: UPDATE AB says he's retiring AGAIN

1 hour ago, Jaraxxus said:

Not even your boy DW and the Tay-hans?

No I think Houston will be around .500 a game either way. But mainly because their D is an absolute mess. 

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd still have KC as the #1 in the NFL.

Interesting that a lot of people who have otherwise argued roster > Quarterback are now arguing Quarterback > roster. 

On 6/30/2020 at 5:52 PM, Gugny said:

Two years a row, it worked well enough to get to the playoffs and two years in a row playoff defenses shut it down.  Not sustainable.  The Ravens' window with Jackson at QB was small.  Now it's shut.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think in 5 years Jackson is a backup and Allen is a superstar.

I like Jackson, and liked him coming out of college, and still enjoy watching him play.  BUT...Im not that far off on this with you, but I certainly don't think Jackson will end up a backup somewhere soon, I mean I still feel he is a special talent overall.  But, I do think Allen will surpass him and will be the unquestionable better QB soon.  

Jackson is not like some Tyrod Taylor, he's a legit starter for sure in a Vick style QB.  And Vick was a dangerous starting QB until the end, even after missing so much time for being a piece of ****.  So I expect Lamar, assuming he stays healthy, to be a productive starter.

But like you, I am skeptical he can really be that playoff success guy when he's facing tough defenses that have the speed to limit his effectiveness.  I expect some great fantasy football games from him against mediocre teams or worse, but come playoff time, not sure that style of offense can get the job done.  No one like him has done it yet, never been a running QB like him win a SB.  

Also, lets not forget, it was only his 2nd season, and first as a full time starter and he won MVP.  So backup I don't think is in his future unless some tragic injury impacts his career arc.  But I do remain somewhat skeptical that his style and the Ravens style will be sustainable and effective as defenses figure him and it out more.  All his regular season success will mean nothing if he keeps one and done-ing it in the playoffs.  

That being said, I think this will be a very telling year for Lamar's future.  Last year, defenses showed at the end of the season how to start rattling the offense between SF, Bills, and playoffs.  Teams will use that as a blue print this year, and the Ravens are stacked for a serious SB run.  So how Lamar and the Ravens show up this year will probably tell you a lot about Lamars future in terms can his style win because he 100% has the roster and coaching around him to do it right now.  Just like same can be said for Josh Allen really about this upcoming season.  

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No I think Houston will be around .500 a game either way. But mainly because their D is an absolute mess. 

Interesting that a lot of people who have otherwise argued roster > Quarterback are now arguing Quarterback > roster. 

KC has a pretty good roster...I mean the offense is loaded, and they retooled the defense nicely last year.  And they just won the SB.  And their QB is without question the better QB.  So I dont think its as exaggerated as you are suggesting.  

On 7/1/2020 at 1:32 PM, GunnerBill said:

I have Baltimore #1, KC #2 as my two AFC favs. Then a small gap to #3 Buffalo then another small gap to #4 Pittsburgh, #5 Cleveland and #6 Denver. Don't love anyone in the South.

I have same rankings, except as you know KC first and Ravens 2.  Otherwise, we are same on everything else.  And I have 1 and 2 very close, so its like splitting hairs for me.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

KC has a pretty good roster...I mean the offense is loaded, and they retooled the defense nicely last year.  And they just won the SB.  And their QB is without question the better QB.  So I dont think its as exaggerated as you are suggesting.  

I have same rankings, except as you know KC first and Ravens 2.  Otherwise, we are same on everything else.  And I have 1 and 2 very close, so its like splitting hairs for me.

I have it close too. I think KC are better at Quarterback and I think they have more "elite players" but I also think they have starters - at linebacker, in the secondary and even a couple of spots on the oline who I would categorise as below average NFL players and other than wide receiver I don't see depth anywhere. Baltimore is less good at receiver and probably has fewer truly elite players but they are just so deep and I struggle to think of a position where their starters are below average. You could argue receiver, possibly. When I look at the lines the only Chiefs player I would definitely take and start on either Baltimore's oline or dline is Chris Jones. I could make an argument for Mitchell Schwartz at right tackle but I am an Orlando Brown fan too always have been, he was a 1st round player who went in the middle rounds because of a lousy combine. I don't think it is a huge difference but I just give the edge to Baltimore's depth and line play over KC's Quarterback and playmakers. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We can debate roster, but I think the Chefs have the better overall team.  And they won the SB.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have it close too. I think KC are better at Quarterback and I think they have more "elite players" but I also think they have starters - at linebacker, in the secondary and even a couple of spots on the oline who I would categorise as below average NFL players and other than wide receiver I don't see depth anywhere. Baltimore is less good at receiver and probably has fewer truly elite players but they are just so deep and I struggle to think of a position where their starters are below average. You could argue receiver, possibly. When I look at the lines the only Chiefs player I would definitely take and start on either Baltimore's oline or dline is Chris Jones. I could make an argument for Mitchell Schwartz at right tackle but I am an Orlando Brown fan too always have been, he was a 1st round player who went in the middle rounds because of a lousy combine. I don't think it is a huge difference but I just give the edge to Baltimore's depth and line play over KC's Quarterback and playmakers. 

Yeah I dont really disagree with any of this, but it’s the elite players and QB edge that keep KC narrowly out front for me.  But basically I agree with everything you said 

Edited by Alphadawg7

Not sure Lamar/Roman can dominate a good, well coached Cover 3. Lamar is a pretty good short ball passer, especially to the flats and away from the middle of the field, but they are still heavily run dependant so if you can shut it down or limit it substantially (as the Bills were able to do) Lamar winds up with a lot more on his plate and can struggle. To me Lamar, great as he is in the Ravens O, is still more of a "system" QB than PM (until he proves otherwise).

Edited by starrymessenger

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Not sure Lamar/Roman can dominate a good, well coached Cover 3. Lamar is a pretty good short ball passer, especially to the flats and away from the middle of the field, but they are still heavily run dependant so if you can shut it down or limit it substantially (as the Bills were able to do) Lamar winds up with a lot more on his plate and can struggle. To me Lamar, great as he is in the Ravens O, is still more of a "system" QB than PM (until he proves otherwise).

Eh? Lamar is a much better middle of the field passer than to the outside. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Eh? Lamar is a much better middle of the field passer than to the outside. 

I may have misread my source (I will check) but if you are right then my point is more relevant since the short outside is what you give up in Cover 3. 

21 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I may have misread my source (I will check) but if you are right then my point is more relevant since the short outside is what you give up in Cover 3. 

I'm not football junkie enough to know for sure, but I did hear that he has the arm to throw outside the numbers. He's just reluctant to do so. If that continues, DCs are going to be able to focus on his tendencies, and limit what he can do.