Antonio Brown interest: UPDATE AB says he's retiring AGAIN

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Baltimore's top 3 WRs gained a total of 1194 receiving yards last year.   That's 398/each.

Two of them played all 16 games.  The other played 14.

That may be why the offense worked, attack the middle with pass and the edge with Lamar’s speed. 

it presents and unusual challenge. 

reason the bills defense did well against it was the zone scheme concept covers the field against both no matter the situation. 

Man schemes were trashed because no one had the best athlete on the feild and even if they did spy a LB, it was a brutal mismatch. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 hours ago, MJS said:

Doesn't he have legal issues? Is there a chance he'd be placed on the commissioner's exempt list if he is signed by a team?

Yeah, I agree I would think he still has to face league penalties even if he’s not guilty of his criminal stuff. Plus the way he was teeing off against the league and all, can’t see that going over very well with office in NY!

42 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That may be why the offense worked, attack the middle with pass and the edge with Lamar’s speed. 

it presents and unusual challenge. 

reason the bills defense did well against it was the zone scheme concept covers the field against both no matter the situation. 

Man schemes were trashed because no one had the best athlete on the feild and even if they did spy a LB, it was a brutal mismatch. 

Two years a row, it worked well enough to get to the playoffs and two years in a row playoff defenses shut it down.  Not sustainable.  The Ravens' window with Jackson at QB was small.  Now it's shut.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think in 5 years Jackson is a backup and Allen is a superstar.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

he’s rich enough to get his own therapy. He’s not employed by any NFL team. Given his tenure in the league, he probably still has league-provided health care. But they can’t compel him to seek treatment (there’s laws against that), so I don’t know what “look out” for him really means. You tell me.

I think that the NFL should (I say this speculatively as you said there might be laws against this) be able to contact his representation and try and provide them some guidance as to how AB can turn his career around and get back into the NFL. He is such a high profile head case that a team might gamble on and make the NFL as a whole look negligent. 

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think that the NFL should (I say this speculatively as you said there might be laws against this) be able to contact his representation and try and provide them some guidance as to how AB can turn his career around and get back into the NFL. He is such a high profile head case that a team might gamble on and make the NFL as a whole look negligent. 

He’s not suspended so far as I know - his legal issues are still under review by the league last I checked. So if and/or when any suspension or other punishment is laid down by the league, I’m sure those steps to get back in will be provided to him. He’s free to sign with any team right now. Granted, teams may be hesitant to sign him now if his legal trouble is still under review, but that’s his fault, not the interested teams’ nor the league’s.

Look, AB’s not the type it seems to willingly commit to therapy, and that fact probably has already cost him millions, and will likely cost him millions more. That is entirely his fault. Personally I don’t care if he really does have 5 more 1,000 yard seasons in him and we never see it. Plenty of other stars to watch in the league.

Any team would want to know for sure whether the NFL would suspend him now based on the nature of the charges or, if they don't, after the legal system had adjudicated it.  If the latter, teams will be lining up to sign him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post.  I also think people underestimate how bad the Ravens receivers were last year.  Their best one was a small rookie who missed a lot of time.  

His bread and butter were the two TE ‘s when it came to a passing game 

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Baltimore's top 3 WRs gained a total of 1194 receiving yards last year.   That's 398/each.

Two of them played all 16 games.  The other played 14.

It doesn't necessarily all go on the WRs.

Remember that in John Brown's last year in Balt, he was on track to end up with more than a thousand yard when Flacco was QBing, and then when Jackson took over, Brown's yards plummeted.

Here are Brown's game by game totals that year.

3 receptions for 44 yards

4 for 92

5 for 86

3 for 116

4 for 58

2 for 28

7 for 134

3 for 28

3 for 15

Jackson takes over

1 for 23

1 for 25

0 for 0

2 for 23

1 for 9

2 for 27

1 for 7

... and then 72 for 1060 the next year with Josh Allen.

I don't think anyone would say that the blame for his late season lack of productivity should all or even mostly go to Brown.

Edited by Thurman#1

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Seattle is no joke either, and with AB they would be a serious contender in the NFC, and honestly, I think he would have a slightly better shot at a SB appearance in Seattle than Baltimore where they still have to get by KC who is still probably the top team heading into the season.  Also, he could make a bigger impact. 

But, either make sense obviously.  And like someone else added, facing Pitt twice would add to the appeal.  From a football perspective, I just think Seattle makes a lot more sense because he is going to want to put up stats so he can get a real contract in 2022, and Seattle gives him a much better shot at that.  Lamar was not great throwing to his WR's last year and most his passing production was to TE and RB combinations.  All that speed and size at WR in Seattle with a top 3 QB in Seattle and dangerous run game would be a sick offense.  

Im hoping its an NFC team (Seattle, SF, GB, etc) as I dont want to face him in the AFC on someone we already will have our hands full with.  AB is freaking nuts...out of his mind...and just a total dips**t...BUT he is still an elite player on the field, and for all his off field issues the past 18 months, throughout his career when he was on the field he was all business.  And now he has lost football for a while, I think its reasonable to think hes going to come back with a chip on his shoulder to earn a real deal (and deal he likely gets this year would be a 1 year prove it) as he wants to get paid again at some point. 

So, the idea of him winding up back in NE would suck, or Baltimore...two teams we are going to have to go through to get to where we want to go.  Doesnt mean we cant if he winds up there, but I would rather not see them get potentially better by adding a potentially elite player to their weak spot on offense, WR.  

I have Baltimore as a the Superbowl favourite at this point. Unless Jackson regresses they are better than KC at this point for me. They addressed their weaknesses in the middle of the defense and they gave Jackson a 2nd legit runner because Ingram's old legs definitely wore down as last season went on. I like Seattle. I think they will win the NFC West but the NFC road to the Superbowl is still a tougher one right now than the AFC. 

17 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good post.  I also think people underestimate how bad the Ravens receivers were last year.  Their best one was a small rookie who missed a lot of time.  

CB, that’s why they ran 13 personnel as a staple last year (I know you know but for others that means 1 RB, 3 TE sets, so only 1 WR).  They have excellent TE’s and you can never tell when they are pass catching or blocking and they as a unit do both well.

• Thank you (+1) 1

JoPoy, As always, thanks for the beer, I forgot to add something.  The reason the Bills gave Lamar his worst performance In the regular season, and yes I know they still won 24-17 Is McD’s defensive scheme.  McD had Lamar’s cryptonite by strict gap control, zone defense, keeping the middle of the field contained and not getting fooled if it was a run, or a designed run the other way by Lamar.  Lamar has a problem throwing outside of the hash marks.

That is why the Ravens lost in the playoffs.  They literally took McD’s scheme and tried to copy it.  It was smart of Vrabel and Henry ran all over them keeping the ball away, hence the  28-12 loss.  My concern assuming we make the playoffs is not Baltimore as much as KC. At least we’ll have regular season experience with KC and TN, and in the KC game at home (hopefully we’re aloud to pump the crowd noise at its peak for that one).  KC is going to be incredibly tough to beat.  I’m not saying we’ll beat the Ravens, just we can beat them if everything breaks our way.

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It doesn't necessarily all go on the WRs.

Remember that in John Brown's last year in Balt, he was on track to end up with more than a thousand yard when Flacco was QBing, and then when Jackson took over, Brown's yards plummeted.

Here are Brown's game by game totals that year.

3 receptions for 44 yards

4 for 92

5 for 86

3 for 116

4 for 58

2 for 28

7 for 134

3 for 28

3 for 15

Jackson takes over

1 for 23

1 for 25

0 for 0

2 for 23

1 for 9

2 for 27

1 for 7

... and then 72 for 1060 the next year with Josh Allen.

I don't think anyone would say that the blame for his late season lack of productivity should all or even mostly go to Brown.

Oh, I don't think any of it is on the WRs.  This is all on Jackson.  Jackson has two tools:  Running and throwing short passes to TEs over the middle of the field.

When people say that BAL is a good fit for Antonio Brown, I just don't see it.  It's like saying Thurman Thomas would have been a good fit on the Marino-era Dolphins.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Oh, I don't think any of it is on the WRs.  This is all on Jackson.  Jackson has two tools:  Running and throwing short passes to TEs over the middle of the field.

When people say that BAL is a good fit for Antonio Brown, I just don't see it.  It's like saying Thurman Thomas would have been a good fit on the Marino-era Dolphins.

It is true that Jackson is a much better thrower over the middle than he is to the outside - though short passes isn't entirely fair he does throw a pretty nice deep seam route too. I think the reason Antonio Brown could fit is he can work the middle of the field. Someone like John Brown as referenced above is a pure outside the numbers guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Every NFL coach and front office have a mental scale in their heads: "Does this guy's talent outweigh the baggage he brings with him?" If the answer is yes, he gets another chance. If it's no, he doesn't. It's that simple.

It's why Kaepernick hasn't gotten a sniff since he brought his politics to the sidelines. It probably cut 2-3 years off of what TO and Chad Johnson were capable of. And the list goes on and on.

AB had plenty of chances to turn it around. And there's 0 indication that he's evolved from an egocentric, adolescent minded flake. His baggage far outweighs his talent, at this point.

Edited by BornAgainBillsFan

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

Two years a row, it worked well enough to get to the playoffs and two years in a row playoff defenses shut it down.  Not sustainable.  The Ravens' window with Jackson at QB was small.  Now it's shut.

I know I'm in the minority, but I think in 5 years Jackson is a backup and Allen is a superstar.

I’d expect any bills fan to feel this way. In my view Lamar was way more polished and talented at the start. Whoever works harder and keeps pushing to get better will come out on top. 

in Lamar’s case and probably josh athleticism had peaked.  Either they develop as passers or they will fizzle out and end up as 7 million dollar back ups in New England 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2