Fantasy Football comparison JA vs Lamar - with good non FF insights as well

35 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m hoping for Allen to start to play more like R. Wilson. Wilson has been more accurate passing each year and doesn’t take hits when he runs with the football.

This would be a great thing.  Personally; I think accuracy is a skill and not that easy to learn.  Wilson completed 73% of his passes his last year in college.

20 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I’m hoping for Allen to start to play more like R. Wilson. Wilson has been more accurate passing each year and doesn’t take hits when he runs with the football.

I think playing like that is the gold standard for athletic QBs....but Wilson is really one of the best at it so thats a pretty high bar.

I agree anything near that and im happy.

Edited by Ramza86

Another article mired in data analysis that, in my mind, is unwarranted. Using data the author concludes that Allen's deep balls are a key element to making him, perhaps, the top fantasy quarterback in the league.  Now, maybe for fantasy purposes you can get there, but even I will admit that based on last season, ANY analysis that suggests the deep ball is one of Allen's strengths is suspect.

Still, as the OP says, it's interesting to read an article that is thoughtful AND optimistic about Allen. The author doesn't get caught up in the conventional wisdom about Allen (he's "raw," he's a "project," he isn't accurate, he can't throw the deep ball, he has a long way to go) and instead sees what a lot of Bills fans see - a really talented quarterback who has made a lot of plays in two years and who seems to be improving significantly and continuously.  For example, he admits to being surprised when he first saw that someone said Allen was an MVP darkhouse, but when he considered the idea, he realized the idea wasn't as absurd as national fans (and Bills fans who don't believe in Allen) seem to think. 

Thanks for posting. 

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This would be a great thing.  Personally; I think accuracy is a skill and not that easy to learn.  Wilson completed 73% of his passes his last year in college.

If that’s true, then how did Wilson complete less than 60% of his passes each of his first three years in college?

• Haha (+1) 1

I have a feeling Lamar is going to regress significantly next season.  The Bills and the Titans provided the blue print to slowing down that offense.  The NFL is a copycat league.  Look for teams to utilize similar strategies to force him to pass to the outside and focus on rush containment. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And the previous 3 college seasons?

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And the previous 3 college seasons?

Besides his freshman year, Wilson had a higher % in the ACC than Allen had in the MWC. He also had 32 and 28 td passes at NCSU.

he also hasn’t been below 60 in the nfl.  Based on that, it seems like NCSU was the outliner and he was barely below 60 there.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/russell-wilson-1.html

12 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Besides his freshman year, Wilson had a higher % in the ACC than Allen had in the MWC. He also had 32 and 28 td passes at NCSU.

he also hasn’t been below 60 in the nfl.  Based on that, it seems like NCSU was the outliner and he was barely below 60 there.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/russell-wilson-1.html

Wait, I’m confused as to why argument you’re making...

I feel like this falls into the tried and true “accuracy can’t be improved except for when it can” category.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That is the answer to a question that wasn't asked.  The point is that his completion % increased, demonstrating that accuracy can, in fact, be learned and improved upon.  The fact that most above average NFL QBs begin with lower completion percentages than they end up with should make this point painfully obvious. Yet, here we are, there are still people disputing the point. 

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I feel like this falls into the tried and true “accuracy can’t be improved except for when it can” category.

Bingo

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Just now, thebandit27 said:

again...you know who you're talking to right?

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You’re not comparing apples to apples.  In a much better conference, with not a ton of talent around him, Wilson was still a more accurate passer than Allen.  He hasn’t been below 60 in his nfl career.  If we reviewed all his NCSU film, I would guess the problem was more the team around him.

this is why people (myself included) are worried about Allen.  Could he become more accurate? Sure.  But when predicting prospects, you try to use the evidence you have.  Allen has never been over 60 (a low benchmark in football now) at any level.  At some point, a pattern becomes a trend.  In the last 10 years, when passing became easier than ever, has there ever been a qb drafted that high with a worse completion percentage against worse competition?  I’m genuinely asking.  Allen needs to be the absolute exception to every rule.  

maybe he can but if he was an another team, most people here would have more serious doubts about him getting there.  The good news is they have placed a lot of talent around him and with a really good defense, he doesn’t need to carry the team.  But I really want to see the games this year when we won because of Allen and the offense and not in spite of them.  

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It is but most of it comes from mechanics, not unlike golfing if you are off in your motions, grip, speed, torque ect, the ball is going to move on ya. If you have good mechanics, you get more accurate.

IMO Josh's accuracy is more than adequate. He just doesn't checkdown on 3rd and 18 so he has a 58% completion percentage instead of 65%. You will punt if its incomplete or only gains 10 yards. Might as well go for it 

Will Allen ever become a top 10 NFL QB? Yet to be seen.... However, Allen's massively improved accuracy from Season 1 to Season 2 in the all important (and much more statistically valuable) area of medium range passes clearly shows that improvement in accuracy is absolutely a thing and that he is on a good path in steadily improving and realizing his potential as a small school semi-project QB with massive upside.

15 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

It is but most of it comes from mechanics, not unlike golfing if you are off in your motions, grip, speed, torque ect, the ball is going to move on ya. If you have good mechanics, you get more accurate.

IMO Josh's accuracy is more than adequate. He just doesn't checkdown on 3rd and 18 so he has a 58% completion percentage instead of 65%. You will punt if its incomplete or only gains 10 yards. Might as well go for it 

I respect your point.  But it’s kinda odd he has never been a very accurate passer on any level.  I think this is something fans just are hoping will improve.  

what I’ve struggled with is we are hoping Allen becomes a better player in the NFL than he was in the MWC.  That seems like a huge bet to make.  This board loves to dismiss Lamar Jackson and Cam but those guys have flat out dominated at times.  How many times can we say Allen dominated a game?

47 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I respect your point.  But it’s kinda odd he has never been a very accurate passer on any level.  I think this is something fans just are hoping will improve.  

what I’ve struggled with is we are hoping Allen becomes a better player in the NFL than he was in the MWC.  That seems like a huge bet to make.  This board loves to dismiss Lamar Jackson and Cam but those guys have flat out dominated at times.  How many times can we say Allen dominated a game?

Similarly, some people are hoping that surgeons with years of experience will be better surgeons than they were in med school. Seems like a huge bet to make. 

Oddly enough, the same people hope that lawyers in their 3rd year of practice will be better lawyers than they were in law school. Another huge bet, no?

• Haha (+1) 1