Trial for Golden State Killer begins

Mark Vader

25 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Serial Killer, rapist, and former cop Joseph Deangelo went on trial today for crimes that have lasted over 40 years.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-29/golden-state-killer-serial-plea-murders-rapes

He sadly has a connection to this area as he is from Bath, NY which is around 60 SE of Rochester, NY.

I just finished watching "The Confession" on Netflix about Henry Lee Lucas.

Interesting and highly recommended for those who haven't seen it yet.

Makes me wonder if this guy Joseph Deangelo really did all that killing or what.  

I'll watch out for "I'll be Gone in the Dark." 

Thanks to KD in CA for mentioning that. I'm always looking for new good documentaries! 

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

He pleaded guilty to all of it. 15 life sentences.

That's kind of interesting.  I think a lot of people in that situation would opt for the reverse situation--find a way to end it early and avoid years of living in a maximum security hellhole.

On 6/29/2020 at 4:51 PM, KD in CA said:

I thought he was pleading guilty?

I also see the HBO series 'I'll be Gone in the Dark' premiered this week.  Looks super interesting since much of the work on this case was done by an amateur.

Patton Oswalt's wife. Sadly didn't see the story's end.

I remember talk about this being in the works a couple years ago.

Watched Episode 1 of the HBO series "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" last night.

It is slow to get the story moving.  Focuses too much (IMO) on Michelle McNamara as a person and how/why she came to be interested in this case.  Doesn't tell enough of the actual story to really suck you in.

I'll watch all 6 episodes though; it should get a lot better.

I found a book club chat forum last night where users were discussing McNamara's book the HBO series is based on. 

I was surprised to see many negative reviews with reports that the book was poorly put together and disjointed.  

Apparently McNamara died from having high levels of 3 or 4 anti-depressants in her system at the same time, combined with some sort of heart condition; she died in her sleep.  I guess she suffered from anxiety.

Some readers suggested her state of mind while writing may have contributed to the poor flow of the book.  She also never finished the book, and it was finished by her husband and several other writers.  Obviously that must have played a role as well.

Episode 2 will air Sunday night at 10pm.

If anyone else is watching, please chime in with some comments! 

20 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Crazy what they can do with DNA and genealogy.  Tough time to be a murderer or rapist.  I'm good with that.

It's interesting that the perp in this situation was an ex-cop, familiar with law enforcement principles, which is why he went so long without being caught.

He seems to have quit committing the crimes right around the time he would have learned of the existence of this new thing called DNA testing as a crime solving tool.

He knew he left his DNA at all of the crime scenes.  What makes the case interesting is the manner in which the DNA data was used.

Just watched episode two of "I'll Be Gone in the Dark"

Pretty upsetting stuff. Harder to watch than the first one.

I did some reading about the guy, and...wow. What a sicko.

Also, I was taken aback when they were talking about the prevalence of serial rapists in the 70s. They said that the EAR-ONS wasn't even the most active rapist at the time! I've always found it fascinating and curious that the 70s saw such a huge rise in serial rape and serial murder. What was it about that time period that gave rise to this?

I'm enjoying the series about as much as one can enjoy a true crime show with this type of subject matter. Might give McNamara's book a read.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Also, I was taken aback when they were talking about the prevalence of serial rapists in the 70s. They said that the EAR-ONS wasn't even the most active rapist at the time! I've always found it fascinating and curious that the 70s saw such a huge rise in serial rape and serial murder. What was it about that time period that gave rise to this?

I'm enjoying the series about as much as one can enjoy a true crime show with this type of subject matter. Might give McNamara's book a read.

I blame it on the decline of the family unit among other things.  Divorces were becoming more common place which put stress on the kids who will grow into unbalanced adults in many situations.  This can go on for many years and I suspect in a few suicides that I am personally aware of that a divorce while the kids were young definitely was a factor.  Also, on the other side of the equation more people were staying single later into life with one drawback being a lack of a social network to protect individuals from rape and murder.  I suspect serial killers such as Jeffrey Dahmer were keenly aware of things such as this.  

8 hours ago, Logic said:

It followed the 60s.

I'll start the HBO series this weekend, but from reading about the case when he was arrested it's pretty clear this dude was/is seriously disturbed.  Seems like his crimes got more bizarre and more violent over time, as if the thrill of it kept wearing off so he kept upping the ante until he was just killing people.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I think the show suggested that the '70s saw so much of this type of thing because society as a whole was still innocent.  People were doing things like going to bed with their doors unlocked and windows open.  Society was still built on trust of strangers to an extent and not so much on suspicion of wrongdoing.

DNA testing didn't exist, computer databases didn't exist, national non-computer databases using criminal data to help fight crime didn't really exist, and it was just straight up easier for someone to get away with this stuff.

I was thinking of that in the 2nd episode.  EAR-ONS had the husband tied up and was repeatedly raping the wife, while sipping a couple of cans of beer from the family fridge!  He's leaving his bodily fluids all over everything and drinking from the cans, leaving them, and then leaving the crime scene.

Dude wouldn't have lasted 24 hours in today's world.  Back then, he could thrive for years.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up on episodes 3 and 4.

I am enjoying the portion of the show that focuses on the crime aspect of it all, but too much focuses on the writer Michelle McNamara.  I feel like they are padding the show to a degree to get the episode count up.

I would be enjoying it a lot more with much less content on the writer, and much more on the crime.  

Anyone else sticking with this one?

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just caught up on episodes 3 and 4.

I am enjoying the portion of the show that focuses on the crime aspect of it all, but too much focuses on the writer Michelle McNamara.  I feel like they are padding the show to a degree to get the episode count up.

I would be enjoying it a lot more with much less content on the writer, and much more on the crime.  

Anyone else sticking with this one?

Every one of these series does that now, but I actually find the stuff about her interesting and it adds a dimension to the series.  I haven't watched episode 4 yet (but know how she ends up) and you can see it really pulling her down.   That's a lot of very sick ***** to immerse yourself in day after day.

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Every one of these series does that now, but I actually find the stuff about her interesting and it adds a dimension to the series.  I haven't watched episode 4 yet (but know how she ends up) and you can see it really pulling her down.   That's a lot of very sick ***** to immerse yourself in day after day.

I don't want to give anything away, but she was taking a cocktail of prescription pills daily.  Some to wake up, some to calm down, some to go to sleep.

I don't really know much about the story, but it sounds like she died in her sleep, probably from her heart giving out with too much.

She is your classic obsessive; she couldn't get the crime story out of her head and yes, it's a creepy world to spend all your time in.

Her husband, Patton Oswalt, comes across in the series like a saint.

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I don't want to give anything away, but she was taking a cocktail of prescription pills daily.  Some to wake up, some to calm down, some to go to sleep.

I don't really know much about the story, but it sounds like she died in her sleep, probably from her heart giving out with too much.

She is your classic obsessive; she couldn't get the crime story out of her head and yes, it's a creepy world to spend all your time in.

Her husband, Patton Oswalt, comes across in the series like a saint.

Yeah...never been a big fan of his movies, but he does come across as a solid guy.