The hole on the Bills roster that could ruin the season

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Let’s ban those who hold different opinions ... you sir are part of the problem with society today. 

On other thread, he has proven to be a known troll. Sorry.

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So, about Sam Darnold....Joe Flacco and Mike White, seriously?  If they have to start meaningful games that could be the difference.  What exactly has Flacco proven except that he's done, stick a fork in him? Jets made a mistake here. 

What has Stidham proven?  or Tua for that matter?

Most teams have a huge step-down in talent going from the starter to the backup

Flacco's starts even last season prove that he remains a considerably better quarterback than Matt Barkley. He isn't a starting level QB any longer but there were a couple of games last year where he played pretty well and the Broncos (who were a sneaky good 7-9) found a way to lose. Agree on Stidham he has proven nothing. And while Tua hasn't either it would be a major surprise if he ended up a worse NFL Quarterback than Matt Barkley. 

I am pretty surprised the Bills were not more aggressive in pursuing a better backup this offseason. Flacco could keep the Jets around .500 if Darnold missed 4 or 5 games like last year. If Josh Allen missed 4 games for the Bills on this schedule we would go 0-4 I am pretty sure. The Bills know it too. They risked a less than 100% Josh Allen in Nashville last year because they knew that was a huge game and they knew they had little chance to win it with Barkley. 

Hopefully this is all academic because Josh stays healthy. But if he doesn't the Pegulas should ask Beane and McDermott some tough questions about why they felt comfortable going with Barkley. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Their season would be killed if Allen misses 4 games or more. Id bet a lot of money on that. Hell, even 2-3 games and their season would be in jeaopardy considering that schedule. 

Barkley isn't holding down the fort.

Agree. Especially not on this schedule. I could see it last year. The schedule was favourable, they needed Josh to be a comfortable as possible and he and Barkley are tight. It made sense to me to ride with Barkley rather than have more turnover in the QB room give what Josh went through his first year. This season I think it is a very risky strategy. 

If memory serves correct Barkley has played significant snaps in two games.  He started one against the Jets and shredded them.  In another he came in for an injured Josh and looked bad.  If he had to come in then you hope he's more the Jets guy than the other guy.  When NFL teams have to go to backup they are generally in trouble at the QB position.

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Flacco's starts even last season prove that he remains a considerably better quarterback than Matt Barkley. He isn't a starting level QB any longer but there were a couple of games last year where he played pretty well and the Broncos (who were a sneaky good 7-9) found a way to lose.

I didn’t watch all the games.  But I saw several where Flacco was a hot mess.  So we’ll have to agree to disagree there.

52 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If memory serves correct Barkley has played significant snaps in two games.  He started one against the Jets and shredded them.  In another he came in for an injured Josh and looked bad.  If he had to come in then you hope he's more the Jets guy than the other guy.  When NFL teams have to go to backup they are generally in trouble at the QB position.

People were excited to have Barkley as a backup last off season. He barely played at all last season and now people think he's the worst backup in the league. It's pretty strange to me.

Not saying Barkley is good or bad, but I don't get the huge reversal in opinion based on limited play in one game.

I tend to trust the coaches and GM.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

People were excited to have Barkley as a backup last off season. He barely played at all last season and now people think he's the worst backup in the league. It's pretty strange to me.

Not saying Barkley is good or bad, but I don't get the huge reversal in opinion based on limited play in one game.

I tend to trust the coaches and GM.

Over-reaction is the norm in the world of Bills fans.  

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

3 games.

Played a great game against the Jets in 2018, shredded them.

Played OK when he came in for a concussed Josh against NE in 2019 - they have a tough D, and he played OK - we had a shot to win.  Zay Jones drop, Lee Smith and Ty Nsekhe false starts, some strange play calling, all contributed.

Played pretty badly in the Week 17 Jets game but of course had backup OL and TE/WR.  My conclusion was that the backups on D are way better than the backups on O were, but it was still a pretty durn "meh" performance.

we have to consider the following too:

* Guys like Winston wouldn't have wanted to back up a younger QB (ego thing);  favorable for them to backup a Brees or a Brady.     Also, it gives them a chance to take up the starting position if those guys retired. 

* May be guys like Dalton wanted to move down to warmer place and wouldn't have come to Buffalo unless you offered him starter money to backup Allen.  Which kind of blows the team when starter is paid peanuts and backup gets starting money.

* Cam wanted to only to be a starter or have an opportunity to start (Competition).  Bills were not going to offer him

* Flacco could have been a choice; he is better than Barkley at this stage of his career; but how much better is the question.   Now do you release Barkley to sign Flacco.  Also, Flacco showed the bad attitude against young QBs in both Baltimore and Denver.  His unwillingness to help a young QB on the field was something that scare Beane and McDermott

*  The bills really had not much options.